would the nhl benefit from competition?

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
a new sport that is played on ice comes onto the market.. would this be good or bad for hockey? espically if the sport that is just entering the market is much better and more entertaining then hockey

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Probably not, a new sport on Ice wouldn't be as universally thought of, just as hockey is.

puckhead103*

a new sport that is played on ice comes onto the market.. would this be good or bad for hockey? espically if the sport that is just entering the market is much better and more entertaining then hockey
it would be great if up coming new hockey league would take away fans from the nhl....if they come up with a plan to show how superior the league is compared to the nhl...

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
it would be great if up coming new hockey league would take away fans from the nhl....if they come up with a plan to show how superior the league is compared to the nhl...

what if it was a totally different sport where the only similaritys between the 2 sports where that they were played on ice and you gotta put the ball into the net?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
what if it was a totally different sport where the only similaritys between the 2 sports where that they were played on ice and you gotta put the ball into the net?

No because then you are possibly taking players away from hockey. The NHL could benefit from a new hockey league, as it would force them to promote the league more aggressively. Similar to how pro football grew in part because of the AFL-NFL rivalry.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Did the WHA help hockey? Other than giving places in Canada and Hartford hockey, what did it gain?

GSC2k2*

Did the WHA help hockey? Other than giving places in Canada and Hartford hockey, what did it gain?
It was the impetus that has ultimately given us an endless supply of "Winnipeg can too support NHL hockey" threads.

That's something, isn't it?

Isn't it?

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa

No doubt in my mind it helped hockey. The biggest lasting contribution of the WHA was the introduction of European players into North American pro hockey in a meaningful way. It accelerated the development of a lot of young stars in the late 70s. Plus, it lead to salary escalation, which certainly helped the players, if nothing else. ;)

Having said that, I don't think that a competitive league today would have anywhere near the same impact. Its not like there are untapped resources of talent out there anymore, nor exciting new systems being used internationally that we're unaware of over here. And there's definitely not enough money to get into a bidding war with the NHL.

iamcaper

I feel the best way to do such a thing would be to start on a small scale, without intentionally competing with the NHL. If you intent to immediately compete with the NHL, you need recognizable names, huge financial investments, and a way to make it instantly profitable for arenas. Even then it could fail, look at the XFL. On paper it was a brilliant idea but if failed miserably.

I couldn't see the big arenas risking the loss of revenues from an NHL team in order to "give the little guy a chance".

An interesting thing to consider though is, what if a sport, like the NFL, which is strictly limited to the US, were to suddenly be in competition with the CFL? Personally, I think the CFL is a more entertaining product and if a "small market" gave the CFL a chance (please don't bring up Baltimore or Sacremento) it could take root in areas that don't have strong college football roots.

Just a thought.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
CFL may work if they expanded into smaller markets in the US. They would have to change the name of the league though because leagues based on nations don't work in North America that well, i.e AFL, USFL.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
CFL may work if they expanded into smaller markets in the US. They would have to change the name of the league though because leagues based on nations don't work in North America that well, i.e AFL, USFL.

Well I don't knwo about that. The American League has done pretty well. Also one of your examples the AFL could be considered a success. With every AFL team in one way or another is still in existance I would consider it a success. USFL is an example of a league who rushed to challenge the NFL. That said I do agree that if the CFL were dumb enough to do another American expansion it would probably be wise to change the name.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad