Would the NBAPA Strike with the NHLPA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
A question,

would the NBAPA strike with the NHLPA if the league tried to attempt the impass path?

I also wonder what MLBPA things about this, and if they would possibly strike with the NHL, as they would be the last league without a Hard Cap if the NHL attempeted impass?

I think the number of NHL owners that own NBA teams it 14-15(half), and many share or own the rinks/courts. And since the NBA is next up for CBA debate, could they work against the NBA/NHL owners together.?

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Drury_Sakic said:
A question,

would the NBAPA strike with the NHLPA if the league tried to attempt the impass path?

I also wonder what MLBPA things about this, and if they would possibly strike with the NHL, as they would be the last league without a Hard Cap if the NHL attempeted impass?

I think the number of NHL owners that own NBA teams it 14-15(half), and many share or own the rinks/courts. And since the NBA is next up for CBA debate, could they work against the NBA/NHL owners together.?

The NBA has pretty much resolved the upcoming CBA issues and will not have a lockout.

mooseOAK*

The NBA stoppage will definitely be a lockout if it happens. As in the NHL the basketball players have a deal that is very much in their favour and the owners are going to at least try to shorten the max length of long term contracts from 7 to 3 or 4 years.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Interesting related note. Arthur Griffiths on Mojo (Vancouver) was just mentioning that in a recent meeting between the league and the NBPA, the issue of the players' escrow account became a pretty big problem. Apparently, in the NBA, the linkage between salaries and league revenue is enforced through an escrow account. All players have 10% of their salary put into an escrow account each year. At the end of the year, if salaries exceeded 55% of league-wide revenue, the owners get money from the escrow account accordingly (and vice versa if salaries were below 55%). He said that there was some problem in the talks about this part of the agreement, and that the players basically walked out of the meeting.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
mooseOAK said:
The NBA stoppage will definitely be a lockout if it happens. As in the NHL the basketball players have a deal that is very much in their favour and the owners are going to at least try to shorten the max length of long term contracts from 7 to 3 or 4 years.
Don't know where you're getting your information from, but it's not right.
There are some things the NBA owners want in the new CBA (shorter contracts, age limit), but it's not enough to have a lock-out. It's the NBA players who want restrictions eased (see previous post about the escrow, higher cap).
The NBA deal is by no means in the players favour as pretty much most NBA teams are profitable and the small markets don't have a problem competing.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Drury_Sakic said:
If the NHLPA folds, the MLBPA is screwed..

Wasn't Donald Fehr calling NHL players a while back, encouraging them to hang in there? If it was true, he must be fearful of the same. A cap in the NHL will almost certainly mean a cap in baseball.

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
Drury_Sakic said:
Uhm

You don't think a year from now that the MLB owners arn't going to try imposing a Hard Cap?

Uhm,

Still why would MLBPA strike? :dunno:

They like the CBA deal they have.

If there is a work stoppage it would be because the owners do not like the CBA deal and will lock the players out.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
I think we need to use some logic here. First of all, this isn't a strike. Secondly, the NBA players if they do happened to be locked out (Which is at .000001%), they will not want to associate or join with the NHL because the NHL is a lost cause. Finally, I don't think any of you guys have a clue about baseball and how powerful their union is. If you really think a hockey lockout is going to change the dynamics of baseball than you are really out of the loop and have no business posting wild speculation on this thread.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
ScottyBowman said:
The NBA has pretty much resolved the upcoming CBA issues and will not have a lockout.

I don't care about the NBA, but I agree that a lockout in that league is possible, but unlikely. They're already working from a cap system, many players, including ones I've never heard of, are raking in $5-10 million a year, and franchises like the Clippers make money. A few weeks ago, I heard Lester Munson of SI, speaking on BBC radio, saying that the NBA is somewhat tangled up in the NHL mess because of the cross-ownership of teams and/or arenas. The NBA has some incentive to get a deal in place, but they won't strain to get it the way the NHL has.

Last edited:

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
For the record..

I did not vote that the MLBPA would strike with the NHLPA.

I did vote that the NBAPA would strike with the NHLPA.

While MLB could care less about the NHL's problems, when it comes down to it, the MLBPA would love to still have the NHL as a non-hard cap system come time for them to have a CBA war. And its coming. MLB may not be losing money like the NHL, but can you honestly name more than 10 teams that have a chance at the post season minus a HUGE fluke? Spending inbalance is what they will be fighting for.

I know the NHLPA is not striking now, but I am talking come fall, if the NHL impasses its way to a season, if the NHL can get either MLBPA or NBAPA to strike with them...

Its about power, and I think the sports PA's fates are more interconected than is being given credit.

:gobble

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Drury_Sakic said:
For the record..

I did not vote that the MLBPA would strike with the NHLPA.

I did vote that the NBAPA would strike with the NHLPA.

While MLB could care less about the NHL's problems, when it comes down to it, the MLBPA would love to still have the NHL as a non-hard cap system come time for them to have a CBA war. And its coming. MLB may not be losing money like the NHL, but can you honestly name more than 10 teams that have a chance at the post season minus a HUGE fluke? Spending inbalance is what they will be fighting for.

I know the NHLPA is not striking now, but I am talking come fall, if the NHL impasses its way to a season, if the NHL can get either MLBPA or NBAPA to strike with them...

Its about power, and I think the sports PA's fates are more interconected than is being given credit.

:gobble

Teams like the Twins and Royals do not care because they get a $20 mil revenue sharing check each year because their payroll is under the league average. Small market teams are well compensated and big market teams get to spend whatever they want. Everyone is happy at the end.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
ScottyBowman said:
Teams like the Twins and Royals do not care because they get a $20 mil revenue sharing check each year because their payroll is under the league average. Small market teams are well compensated and big market teams get to spend whatever they want. Everyone is happy at the end.
True, teams are happy. But unless you are a fan of the big boys (Red Sox, Yankees, et al). Odds are you are not happy watching your talented players go to them for big bucks every year.
That's essentially what the players were proposing in their Dec. 9 proposal.
Roll back the salaries to reset the market place to something more sane, then leave it up to the owners to run their businesses in a competent manner (something that thus far they've been unable to do).

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Drury_Sakic said:
Uhm

You don't think a year from now that the MLB owners arn't going to try imposing a Hard Cap?

Nope, and what the NHLPA does has little effect on the MLB.

The players like the current structure. The teams like it too. You think Vince Naimoli is going to vote for a cap that will end teams putting money in his pockets? Think again. The high priced teams and the CostCo teams will vote to keep the current system.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ScottyBowman said:

Except for the fans of most small and mid-market teams...but who cares about them?

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
ScottyBowman said:

are you sure about that?

the players are fine with future contracts being for less years?

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
McDonald19 said:
are you sure about that?

the players are fine with future contracts being for less years?
Pretty damn sure, the contract length is not a do or die issue for the owners and there's room for negotiation (as well as other areas the owners are prepared to give on to get it).
Besides, both the owners and the union in the NBA are represented by competent individuals, combine that with smart businessmen as owners and you have a situation that is the exact opposite of the NHL.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
alexmorrison said:
Pretty damn sure, the contract length is not a do or die issue for the owners and there's room for negotiation (as well as other areas the owners are prepared to give on to get it).
Besides, both the owners and the union in the NBA are represented by competent individuals, combine that with smart businessmen as owners and you have a situation that is the exact opposite of the NHL.

Exactly. I read that they agreed on the age of the NBA draft being 20 and I'm sure they'll come in the middle of contract length. Other than that, all the other issues such as cap and revenue have already been set from the current deal.

mooseOAK*

alexmorrison said:
Don't know where you're getting your information from, but it's not right.
There are some things the NBA owners want in the new CBA (shorter contracts, age limit), but it's not enough to have a lock-out. It's the NBA players who want restrictions eased (see previous post about the escrow, higher cap).
The NBA deal is by no means in the players favour as pretty much most NBA teams are profitable and the small markets don't have a problem competing.

Seven year guaranteed contracts have worked out to be a lot better for the players than the owners.

You're misinterpreting that the NBA's needs are the same as the NHL's. The NBA has a lot more money flying around but the league is concerned about their image which is helped by some guys signing 7 year guaranteed contracts and then going on vacation for the next 6 years. They have players not reporting after trades and a lot of disciplinary problems which they need their PA's help in sorting out. Those are the types of things that they want to try and fix.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
mooseOAK said:
Seven year guaranteed contracts have worked out to be a lot better for the players than the owners.

You're misinterpreting that the NBA's needs are the same as the NHL's. The NBA has a lot more money flying around but the league is concerned about their image which is helped by some guys signing 7 year guaranteed contracts and then going on vacation for the next 6 years. They have players not reporting after trades and a lot of disciplinary problems which they need their PA's help in sorting out. Those are the types of things that they want to try and fix.
I understand the NBA situation quite well. I'm a bigger NBA fan then I am NHL fan.
I also know the NBA CBA quite well and have thought since the beginning that something very similar would be a great solution for the NHL.
The issues in the NBA are not huge.
Players not reporting after trades is not really an issue as almost every case where the player hasn't reported, the only reason for getting that player was because they were an expiring contract to be used for cap space, not because they were actually wanted by the team acquiring them (ie Atlanta getting Gary Payton, Utah getting Elden Campbell).
Contract length is probably the biggest issue, but again there are enough areas where the owners can concede things to get that down to 5 or 6 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->