Proposal: Would The Leafs Have Any Interest In Bobby Ryan ?

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
of course the Leafs would have interest in Bobby Ryan

Old: check
Almost Retired: check
Washed up former great player: check
Looking for an end-of-career paycheque: check
Wouldn't touch Toronto with a ten-foot pole in his prime: check

You fit right in Bobby. Come on down

Reactions: glue and SML2

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Don't really see the fit. If Nylander or Marner get moved for a D-man (which I don't think happens) then maybe. On a low term and low money contract hoping he regains his scoring touch beside an elite center. But overall, just don't really see the fit/need

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
of course the Leafs would have interest in Bobby Ryan

Old: check
Almost Retired: check
Washed up former great player: check
Looking for an end-of-career paycheque: check
Wouldn't touch Toronto with a ten-foot pole in his prime: check

You fit right in Bobby. Come on down

I think you're still in the late 90's early 2000's

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Depending on the other moves we do, we may not be able to afford him.

Perry at age 34 coming off 10 points in 27 games (and 49 points the year before) signed for 3M last year.
Ryan at age 33 coming off 8 points in 24 games (42 points the year before) should sign for a similar amount?

There should be a COVID discount in there, and Ryan is coming off a slightly worse stretch than Perry, but I still think some team out there will be willing to offer him ~1.5M-2M or so. If we're going after Pietrangelo, that puts this right off the table. If we're going after ~2 of Demelo, Gudas, Tanev, Hamonic, Brodie, etc, it's also probably not an option.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
If I'm reading Capfriendly correctly, Ottawa pays $11.3M of the remaining $15M owed on his contract.

Ottawa (Melnyk) not only is in a cash crunch, but buying out Ryan puts them about about an additional $4M below the Cap Floor, (which needs to be met)

So they save $3.67M on Ryan but need to spend that on someone else , negating any savings.

So it would appear, one of the weakest teams in the league, without money to throw around (like TML for example) sees very little value in him beyond just the fact he's no longer a $7.5M player.

Is that an easy enough concept?

Of course, I could be reading the terms incorrectly

And you are because you and the other people claiming they are paying money they don't have for him to go away are ignoring the easy to understand fact that they aren't writing him a cheque for 11.3 million today they are taking a 7.25 million dollar expense for the next 2 years and reducing the total expense by 25 % or so and differing it over 4 years , they are saving cap and cash on an annual basis . They will be taking on other teams front loaded deals for good players that cost far less in actual cash than their cap hit , they will look to fill that 22 million they are under the floor by with less than 10 million in actual cost and there are plenty of guys on teams that are cap crunched that fit that bill .

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
A quick example is Duncan Kieth 3 years remaining cap hit of 5, 538,462 per year , actual salary 2.65/2.1/1.5 , a nice savings for a decent vet to mentor your ELC kids . Find 3 more like him and you have your 22 million for the cap floor for 10 million out of pocket , less in the following years .

PS An argument could be made that it's better to have a guy with 2 rings on a steal of a deal walk into the room than a guy with no rings for 11 million .

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
The Leafs are interested in any player that can hold down a 3rd line or 4th line job for league minimum. Any.

So if Bobby Ryan will consider 750K then, by all means, let's think it through. But I doubt he'd even be that cheap.

Reactions: moon111

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I'd wager a pretty penny he signs with one of the Californian teams...

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad