Proposal: Would The Leafs Have Any Interest In Bobby Ryan ?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
No way.

We need hard skating defence first depth.

Bobby Ryan can't play D in his prime. He's not going to learn on the spot now.

I respect if you don't want the player but there is no order in how this roster pieces itself together.
If a guy who has made a boatload wants a feel food min salary contract don't wait until you acquire a D

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Hasn't there always been some unspoken spectre looming over Bobby Ryan for his entire career? A team with solid leadership and identity is the type of place where you give a player like this another chance. The Leafs are a team that needs to add vets who enhance the stability of the team, not a team so stable that troubled souls can find a new home to flourish.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The Toronto Maple Leafs may have to consider signing a 33 year old that is being bought out by the Ottawa Senators because he'll play for minimum wage.

Yea, everything's fine, no cap issues here. :laugh:

Reactions: moon111 and ToneDog

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It got dim in here early I see.

Obviously Bobby Ryan isn't a $7.25 million player. Now he can be signed for his true market value. Being bought out by Ottawa only means that Ryan isn't worth $7.25 million to them. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ottawa who finished 30th and 2nd last in the NHL standings is releasing Bobby Ryan, so how much help do we think he can help the Leafs?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Ottawa who finished 30th and 2nd last in the NHL standings is releasing Bobby Ryan, so how much help do we think he can help the Leafs?
See my previous comment.

He's being bought out because he's not a $7.25 million player. It does NOT mean he is incapable of helping a team.

Let's start with understanding the easy concepts, and gradually work up to the harder ones.

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
See my previous comment.

He's being bought out because he's not a $7.25 million player. It does NOT mean he is incapable of helping a team.

Let's start with understanding the easy concepts, and gradually work up to harder ones.

If I'm reading Capfriendly correctly, Ottawa pays $11.3M of the remaining $15M owed on his contract.

Ottawa (Melnyk) not only is in a cash crunch, but buying out Ryan puts them about about an additional $4M below the Cap Floor, (which needs to be met)

So they save $3.67M on Ryan but need to spend that on someone else , negating any savings.

So it would appear, one of the weakest teams in the league, without money to throw around (like TML for example) sees very little value in him beyond just the fact he's no longer a $7.5M player.

Is that an easy enough concept?

Of course, I could be reading the terms incorrectly

Last edited:

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
No one said Bobby Ryan was Wayne Gretzky. I think he would help are team at a cheap price

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ottawa is 31st in salary cap spending with a LOWER LIMIT: $60.2M and Ottawa having $38,237,500 (-21,962,500) with $43,262,500 free cap space.

Sens need to add + $22 mil in salary cap just to reach the minimum cap floor to be cap compliant, so there is no need to buy out Bobby Ryan at $7.25 mil and take a 4 year cap hit of $3,583,333, $3,583,333, $1,833,333, $1,833,333.

They will need to replace Bobby Ryan's cap it and much more just to reach the cap floor, while still paying Ryan not to play on their team via buyout.

Ottawa Senators - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: BigBlu

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
For a league min. type contact, sure, assuming he isn't an off ice distraction. Just as Kovalchuk did with the Habs. You go to a big market, show you can still bring enough to remain in the league and the reward after can be promising.

A player can extend his career a few year by proving himself. Come in, get 40 points while focusing on defense and a tight game, all of a sudden you have suitors for another 3 years. It sure beats stocking shelves for min. wage.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Ottawa is 31st in salary cap spending with a LOWER LIMIT: $60.2M and Ottawa having $38,237,500 (-21,962,500) with $43,262,500 free cap space.

Sens need to add + $22 mil in salary cap just to reach the minimum cap floor to be cap compliant, so there is no need to buy out Bobby Ryan at $7.25 mil and take a 4 year cap hit of $3,583,333, $3,583,333, $1,833,333, $1,833,333.

They will need to replace Bobby Ryan's cap it and much more just to reach the cap floor, while still paying Ryan not to play on their team via buyout.

Ottawa Senators - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
No, they have gone on record as saying they are open for business to take back cap hits on good players that other teams can't afford.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I respect if you don't want the player but there is no order in how this roster pieces itself together.
If a guy who has made a boatload wants a feel food min salary contract don't wait until you acquire a D
I just meant our team lacks defensive structure. Ryan is so bad in his own end. He's more for a bubble team that needs to find ways for depth scoring and turn a blind eye to his defensive play.

We're building to go up against bolts. Ryan is a hard no for me. If we were already good defensively I'd consider it. But we're not.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Forgetting salary, who would you rather have, Connor Brown or Bobby Ryan?
However, if nothing else came up for him, I'd give him a league minimum contract as long as he realized that probably means he's playing for the Marlies.
Maybe it's foolish, but if I had the choice of having some free agent player from Russia in the system that will never play in the NHLor roll the dice on
Ryan, I'll give him the benefit of doubt. If it worked out, perhaps someone like Nylander moves to center.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
For cheap, absolutely! He'd be a great Kapanen replacement, providing depth scoring. But he'll likely get a better contract elsewhere.

Reactions: kb

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
For cheap, absolutely! He'd be a great Kapanen replacement, providing depth scoring. But he'll likely get a better contract elsewhere.
I'm happy with one of Korshkov Robertson or Barabanov fighting to replace Kapanens spot.

Ryan is a mess in his own end. We don't need that.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
If the Leafs were to move Johnsson for futures, I think you could do worse than Ryan at under a million to replace him on a 3rd line. Could potentially play up and down the lineup if needed.

Could be a real nice bargain actually. He seems to have defeated his personal demons.

Reactions: kb and ToneDog

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Can the Leafs try to get someone who actually kills penalties? We can you only have so many senior citizens on the bottom 2 lines.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Toronto Maple Leafs may have to consider signing a 33 year old that is being bought out by the Ottawa Senators because he'll play for minimum wage.

Yea, everything's fine, no cap issues here. :laugh:

After getting good value from Spezza and Ennis as reclamation projects, this shouldn't strike anyone as problematic...

Just because a guy doesn't have value as a 7 million dollar player doesn't mean he's completely worthless.

The only major reason to oppose this is if the team would rather spend money on more aggressive forecheckers for the bottom 6 than another skilled guy.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
After getting good value from Spezza and Ennis as reclamation projects, this shouldn't strike anyone as problematic...

Just because a guy doesn't have value as a 7 million dollar player doesn't mean he's completely worthless.

The only major reason to oppose this is if the team would rather spend money on more aggressive forecheckers for the bottom 6 than another skilled guy.

In principle? Sure

But this isn't a guy who didn't get offered a contract, this is a guy that is getting paid $11.6M, from a team with no excess cash to waste, to go away.

I'd hope with all this money sunk into analysts and analytics, they can come up with better ideas than a 33 year old buy out.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
In principle? Sure

But this isn't a guy who didn't get offered a contract, this is a guy that is getting paid $11.6M, from a team with no excess cash to waste, to go away.

I'd hope with all this money sunk into analysts and analytics, they can come up with better ideas than a 33 year old buy out.

In principle? Sure

Well part of unconventional thinking is finding value in where others have ignored/rejected.

I don't have any particular love for Ryan, but I think based on Ennis/Spezza if this front office pursues him, they'll likely get a good return on the investment

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Would he be placed in a position to succeed with the Leafs? He'd probably be looking at fewer than 10 minutes of ice time per game, and unlike Spezza he can't be deployed for spot faceoff duties to increase his utility.

If he'd be willing to sign for under a million, so that the Leafs could bury his cap hit with the Marlies if need be, then yeah, sure. The last Jersey Boy to play for the Leafs was a damn fine player. But realistically I'd expect 4th line and maybe 2nd PP duties for him, and the Leafs have plenty of organizational depth for those 2 roles.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad