Would the Flames have beat the Ducks if they had a healthy Gio

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
Losing Gio would be like the ducks without Getzlaf. Have to remember that a healthy Gio makes Brodie that much better and without him in the lineup, Brodie was playing second fiddle with Engelland on the 2nd pairing. Flames werent getting the best out of Brodie because Engelland was holding him back.

Gio and Brodie was the best defense pairing this season, you cant underestimate the chemistry between them. On many nights, Brodie even outplayed Gio...that just shows how much Gio elevates Brodies game when pairing together.

Wideman and Russell was one of the best 2nd pairings this year, but they were logging too much ice and as the series went on, Gios absense was more and more evident. These guys were just gassed. Schlemko and Diaz played relatively well, but neither of these guys were even a full timer this year on the flames roster.

I could only imagine how much more effective the flames D would have been, by Hartley rolling out Gio and Brodie for 27mins a night, roll them on the #1 PP, then Wideman and Russell for 23mins and roll them on the #2PP, and the bottom pairing only 7 or 8. Thats two stellar D pairings out on the ice for your team for 50-52mins a night.

Last edited:

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
perhaps, but frankly they were really lucky canucks blew that huge lead back in game 6 and their rookies being extremely clutch throughout the post season.

If i was a flames fan i would be extremely proud of my teams' run.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
No. They had lost like 19 game in a row at the Honda center coming into this series and Gio was with them for most of those games.

flamesforcup*

might have won one more game or pushed 7 but still lose imo

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Nope.

Would have gone six, but Ducks are still on a whole other level than Calgary.

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
Actually I think with Gio, the flames very well could have pulled off the upset.

Have to remember that Gio and Brodie would have been up against Getzlaf, Perry and Maroon, not Russell and Wideman (who did a remarkable job but were often outmatched due to their size).

Wideman and Russell would have been up against Keslers line and no way Belesky pots 4 goals in 4 games. Beleskys 4 goals in 4 games easily could have been the difference.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
We would still be missing a third pairing D to log minutes; Ducks are one of the few to roll out all pairings evenly in the playoffs. They still would have won in 6,7

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
No. It's likely the exact same result in the same number of games. Not saying Gio doesn't make the Flames better but to say him being in the roster would have gotten the Flames 2 or even 1 more win is silly. I mean I guess he could have scored a hatty every game... but maybe he would have gone -8 in the series. Who knows?

Kirikanoir

Dec 16, 2010
No. They lost in 5 games, and they were lucky to win the one game that they did. The Ducks dominated them out scoring them 19-9, and no amount of what ifs or if this or that player had been healthy was going to win Calgary that series. Calgary could not score more than 2 goals in 4 of the 5 games, going 1, 0, 4, 2, 2, which just does not get it done against the top teams in the league.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Actually I think with Gio, the flames very well could have pulled off the upset.

Have to remember that Gio and Brodie would have been up against Getzlaf, Perry and Maroon, not Russell and Wideman (who did a remarkable job but were often outmatched due to their size).

Wideman and Russell would have been up against Keslers line and no way Belesky pots 4 goals in 4 games.

You don't seem to be considering at all that Anaheim had home ice for this series, which means they get last change in 4 of 7 games.

Giordano certainly improves Calgary's chances, but he alone isn't going to turn Calgary into the better team in this series.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Losing Gio would be like the ducks without Getzlaf. Have to remember that a healthy Gio makes Brodie that much better and without him in the lineup, Brodie was playing second fiddle with Engelland on the 2nd pairing. Flames werent getting the best out of Brodie because Engelland was holding him back.

Gio and Brodie was the best defense pairing this season, you cant underestimate the chemistry between them. On many nights, Brodie even outplayed Gio...that just shows how much Gio elevates Brodies game when pairing together.

Wideman and Russell was one of the best 2nd pairings this year, but they were logging too much ice and as the series went on, Gios absense was more and more evident. These guys were just gassed. Schlemko and Diaz played relatively well, but neither of these guys were even a full timer this year on the flames roster.

I could only imagine how much more effective the flames D would have been, by Hartley rolling out Gio and Brodie for 27mins a night, roll them on the #1 PP, then Wideman and Russell for 23mins and roll them on the #2PP, and the bottom pairing only 7 or 8. Thats two stellar D pairings out on the ice for your team for 50-52mins a night.

Someone should have busted out the vaudeville hook right there.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Well, Gio is the no1, of course he'd have helped. I don't see them beating the Ducks but it could have happened. We'll never know now.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
No, the Ducks are a clear level above the Flames. They'll get there with time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad