Would the Canucks have beaten the Ducks in 2003?

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Todd Bertuzzi... he had to open his mouth :laugh:. I honestly thought we had a clear shot at the cup. That is probably my most memorable playoff series to date.

Last edited:
Reactions: lawrence

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
More so Todd Bertuzzi and Ed Jovanovski (whom I vibed with during that era) but they were liabilities on the ice. Bertuzzi scored a measly 2 goals in 14 playoff games that year....that's awful.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Probably not, I strictly believe nobody was getting past Giguere's pads in those playoffs. I swear there was a sumo wrestler in net for the Ducks that year. No net "whatsoever", All shooters saw was chest protector.

+++ Scott Niedermayer was dominating those playoffs. He probably would of given the WCE fits.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Probably not, I strictly believe nobody was getting past Giguere's pads in those playoffs. I swear there was a sumo wrestler in net for the Ducks that year. No net "whatsoever", All shooters saw was chest protector.

+++ Scott Niedermayer was dominating those playoffs. He probably would of given the WCE fits.

Niedermayer wasn’t a Duck at that point.

Ducks would have steamrolled the Canucks. That’s team was a well oiled machine.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Niedermayer wasn’t a Duck at that point.

Ducks would have steamrolled the Canucks. That’s team was a well oiled machine.

Omg thankyou, you're right. Niedermayer was on the 04 Duck crew. My mistake, I'm getting my Duck statistics mashed together lol.

I still stand by my point on Giguere though. His pads gotta be in the NHL record books.

member 290103

Niedermayer should have been aCanuck, but Nonis elected instead to pay Naslund. Too bad.

TomP24684

Je m’appelle Tom
May 18, 2019
Omg thankyou, you're right. Niedermayer was on the 04 Duck crew. My mistake, I'm getting my Duck statistics mashed together lol.

I still stand by my point on Giguere though. His pads gotta be in the NHL record books.
Neidermayer was on the 07 cup ducks.

If Nucks had beaten ducks in 03 they would have in into Neidermayer one round later vs New Jersey.

The Canucks I don’t believe for a second would have had any success against Stevens Neidermayer Brodeur etc

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's hard to say but probably not. The Ducks were having one of those magical playoff runs and the NHL was cracking down on Bertuzzi's pushing. Plus I have no confidence in Cloutier in the playoffs.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
If Keenan didn't give up on Sean Burke so easily, or Brian Burke didn't think Irbe was too small to be a number 1 goalie. Then Canucks would of had a top 10 nhl goalie playing for them. Canucks would of beaten Min

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If Keenan didn't give up on Sean Burke so easily, or Brian Burke didn't think Irbe was too small to be a number 1 goalie. Then Canucks would of had a top 10 nhl goalie playing for them. Canucks would of beaten Min

In 2003 Irbe was 36 years old on his way out of the league.

Personally, I always thought Sean Burke was overrated. He was great in the regular season playing behind Tippett's system, but I don't think he would have fared well in Vancouver's run and gun system. He was also the same age as Irbe and while still effective he was injured that season. Sean Burke would not have been a difference maker in net.

The greater miss was that Burke had opportunities to acquire Vokoun and Kiprusoff but thought a 2nd round pick was too high of a price to pay.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Personally, I always thought Sean Burke was overrated. He was great in the regular season playing behind Tippett's system, but I don't think he would have fared well in Vancouver's run and gun system. He was also the same age as Irbe and while still effective he was injured that season. Sean Burke would not have been a difference maker in net.

The greater miss was that Burke had opportunities to acquire Vokoun and Kiprusoff but thought a 2nd round pick was too high of a price to pay.

Bigger than that was deciding to trade for Cloutier instead of Khabibulin who was holding out at the time from Phoenix.

TB getting Khabibulin and stiffing us with Cloutier probably won them a Cup and probably cost us one.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

IIRC it was Keenan who said that Irbe was too small...

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
It's hard to say but probably not. The Ducks were having one of those magical playoff runs and the NHL was cracking down on Bertuzzi's pushing. Plus I have no confidence in Cloutier in the playoffs.

One of the things that nobody in Van wants to talk about is the massive impact that resulted in when the NHL started cracking down on interference which radically hindered the performance of both Bert and Nazzy. Bert's salad days were the result of him getting away with blatant interference for a couple of years, after that he was ineffective...

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Nightmare of a season. We had to get past Anaheim and not one of the other big 3 to reach the finals (Dallas Colorado or Detroit) path was paved.

Minnesota fluked it against Colorado. They had no business beating Vancouver. They were very much out played by the avs (Minnesota’s) offence was horrible. They beat us by fluke also who was also out played by Vancouver by Dan cloutier was allowing 1 goal on a 4 shot ratio, as the Canucks in the final 3 games of that series only allowed Minnesota to 60 shots total but he allowed 15. Not a goalie blaming guy but no team in history is winning anything if your goalie is allowing 1 goal on every 3 shot while trying to close out a team.

By round 3 luck ran out on Minnesota as no way they will fluke it for a 3rd time.
Anaheim faces a team they should have faced in the 3rd round, we also didn’t seem to have a problem against the ducks that year and for years we had New Jersey’s number so yes I will put on my homer hat and say we can beat the ducks.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
in successive series, barrett jackman and willie mitchell got bertuzzi totally off his game. keith carney having the playoffs of his life would have owned him too.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Short answer - no.

Longer answer - Anaheim was already better at “Minnesota-ing” opponents than the Wild were. Giguere was equal parts on fire and in comically large pads, but his team around him stifled the everlasting you-know-what out of other teams, and they kept finding ways to score. I think they would have frustrated the heck out of the Canucks, who’d already been slowed by Minnesota’s far inferior players.

But yeah, the Canucks should have been conference finalists that year. Damn it, Cloutier.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007

Burke was absolutely an upgrade on Cloutier and would have been a difference maker in net.

Burke also never played for Dave Tippet so you can’t use his system as an excuse to drag down Burke. Tippet was the Stars coach that season. It was Bob Francis who was coaching the Coyotes.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Brian Burke offered the Canucks the 2nd pick in 2005 for our 10th pick and Ed jovo.

In return the ducks won’t have the cap room to sign Scott neidermayer , Burke does his
best friend a favour, as one location he wanted to go to was Vancouver. Nonis messes up, and to be fair, Alex auld would have been an upgrade over cloutier.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Brian Burke offered the Canucks the 2nd pick in 2005 for our 10th pick and Ed jovo.

In return the ducks won’t have the cap room to sign Scott neidermayer , Burke does his
best friend a favour, as one location he wanted to go to was Vancouver. Nonis messes up, and to be fair, Alex auld would have been an upgrade over cloutier.

• nonis drafts price #2 and kopitar #10
  • nonis signs niedermayer, lets naslund walk
  • nonis makes the luongo trade anyway
  • nonis gets fired anyway
  • around 2009 or 2010 gillis trades luongo for a scoring winger and defenseman because price is emerging
sedin - sedin - burrows
someone from the luongo trade - kopitar - samuelsson/higgins
raymond - kesler - hansen
torres - malhotra - lapierre

hamhuis - bieksa
edler - ehrhoff
someone from the luongo trade - salo

price
schneids

...luongo to washington for semin and carlson?

/what cap?

/2011 canucks fan fiction

TomP24684

Je m’appelle Tom
May 18, 2019
  • nonis drafts price #2 and kopitar #10
  • nonis signs niedermayer, lets naslund walk
  • nonis makes the luongo trade anyway
  • nonis gets fired anyway
  • around 2009 or 2010 gillis trades luongo for a scoring winger and defenseman because price is emerging
sedin - sedin - burrows
someone from the luongo trade - kopitar - samuelsson/higgins
raymond - kesler - hansen
torres - malhotra - lapierre

hamhuis - bieksa
edler - ehrhoff
someone from the luongo trade - salo

price
schneids

...luongo to washington for semin and carlson?

/what cap?

/2011 canucks fan fiction
How does Nonis draft Kopitar with pick 10 if pick 10 and Ed Jovanovski belonged to Anaheim via the deal that netted Vancouver the number 2 overall?

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
The year after they lost to Calgary in game 7 overtime, Bertuzzzi was suspended for the playoffs and the flames went on to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. If Bertuzzi wasn’t suspended maybe the Canucks would have a banner hanging... horrible luck with the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->