Would the Bruins have any interest in Ryan Whitney?

Puckgenius*

I think he would be a great fit on the 2nd pairing with Boychuk and keep Seidenberg with Chara cause they have such great chemistry. could probably be had for 4.5.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
High risk, high reward. I'd guess he'd make JB redundant not room for both cap hits. WHich means its a huge risk. *Boychuk is more durable than basically any other NHLer even a puck to the face hardly kept him out couple years ago so what if a healthy Whitney is better a healthy Whitney is an oxymoron.

doubleminor138

Call me Snake
Jul 31, 2005
NH
I have to say, while I am not a fan of Boychuk's contract...we know what we have in him as a player on this team. And while he didn't have the best playoffs in 2012, he was a large factor in the cup run. I'd stay with JB if it had to be one or the other.

Last edited:

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
What would it take? I'm not sure if he still owes the oilers a year. He would be a great 7th.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Not sure if the OP is suggesting a trade for Whitney (cap space limitations), or that the Bruins sign him in the "off-season" *snicker* to a $4.5M/yr deal.

I think $5M for his services is a little high-risk for my blood. But as a player, I'd love him on my team. If it was possible to put his health issues aside, his game would be great here. Big fan of Ryan Whitney.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Really like his style and he's a great character guy. Only question is his ankle but they finally figured out what the underlying issue was and he's been working really hard to strengthen it.

He's definitely one to watch when we get going again.

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
I have always liked him even though he has not quite/consistently lived up to his potential. I know a lot of people don't care much for him but I think he would be a nice contrast to what the Bruins currently have on the blue line. If healthy and if not asked to do more than he's really meant to do, I'd be glad to have him. 2nd pair. The young Oilers can use him though, he's a veteran presence with some good playoff experience.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If he were willing to sign in Boston next summer for a 1 year 2 million dollar deal I would have interest.

But given his injury history, I would not trade assets (and salary) to Edmonton to get him. And no way would I would pay him anywhere close to the 4.5 mil a year his previous contract had

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I am happy with Bruins D and bringing the kid Hamilton along,They won a cup not even 2 yrs now with it,They have team to do it again too,No need to bring in Whitney ,not turning my back on Johnny B..

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I've never liked Whitney... Just seemed overrated and overpaid to me.... I've never once come away watching him wishing the Bruins would go out and get him...

That being said...he loves the B's....Can't say I would be shocked if there was a Whitney for Boychuk deal sending both guys home at some point, but Whitney is a UFA after this year...

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Hypothetically if Ference didn't re-sign with the team and his salary fit under the cap, the Bruins could do much worse than having Whitney replace Ference. So yes, as long as he was signed as an UFA.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
I've never liked Whitney... Just seemed overrated and overpaid to me.... I've never once come away watching him wishing the Bruins would go out and get him...

That being said...he loves the B's....Can't say I would be shocked if there was a Whitney for Boychuk deal sending both guys home at some point, but Whitney is a UFA after this year...

Boychuk for Whitney would be an even trade except for the money and years involved. I'd do it if Whiney would settle for the same as Boychuk, otherwise, no.

Last edited by a moderator:

GodTukka*

I like Whitney (total beast for me in my Hockey Ultimate team, lol) but i wouldn't be willing to pay up since he gets injured way too often.

I think i'd stick with Boychuk too, Whitney's offensive game in an asset but we have a d-man who can run the PP so it's not a big need, more of a want really

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad