Would the 1998-2001 USNTDP age groups win the Stanley Cup?

Would the NTDP 1998-2001 age groups win the Stanley Cup?

• Total voters

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is what the NTDP team for the 1998-2001 age groups looks like. Would this team win the Stanley Cup?

Edit: To clarify, this is for now, not in their primes.

Farabee-Norris-Tkachuk
Zegras-Hughes-Caufield
Keller-Turcotte-Wahlstrom
Boldy-Frederic-Anderson
Bellows

Lindgren-Fox
Samuelsson-Hughes
Miller-Farrance
Gildon

Knight
Oettinger

The reason I chose these years is because we needed a second goalie, and wouldn't have one without 1998 being included. Any later than 2001 doesn't make sense because no one younger has yet appeared in the NHL. Pretty impressive this is even a question though, considering this is less than 90 players that are picked at the end of their D-3.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This season or ever? I don’t see a team that young without any vets going far in the playoffs. Very impressive group though

If it was for this season I would say no they wouldn't make the playoffs and even in the future not sure if they would win a SC but I doubt they would even be able to stay under the cap in a couple of seasons.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This is what the NTDP team for the 1998-2001 age groups looks like. Would this team win the Stanley Cup?

Edit: To clarify, this is for now, not in their primes.

Farabee-Norris-Tkachuk
Zegras-Hughes-Caufield
Keller-Turcotte-Wahlstrom
Boldy-Frederic-Anderson
Bellows

Lindgren-Fox
Samuelsson-Hughes
Miller-Farrance
Gildon

Knight
Oettinger

The reason I chose these years is because we needed a second goalie, and wouldn't have one without 1998 being included. Any later than 2001 doesn't make sense because no one younger has yet appeared in the NHL. Pretty impressive this is even a question though, considering this is less than 90 players that are picked at the end of their D-3.

In their primes, this would be an absolutely dominant team. But there is no way Norris centers the first line over Hughes or Zegras, who would both be centering their own lines. You also left off Cam York

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
In their primes, this would be an absolutely dominant team. But there is no way Norris centers the first line over Hughes or Zegras, who would both be centering their own lines. You also left off Cam York

It’s for now, not in their primes. Norris is way more proven than Zegras. You could certainly argue Hughes is the better center, but Norris linemates here are much more established. I tried keeping Hughes with his line-mates he actually played with back then. Regardless, it’s not as if it matters. This is all hypothetical and the best players play the most. As for York, I didn’t forget him. He’s probably 8th on the defenseman depth chart, so he slightly missed out. You could argue he’s anywhere from 6-8. I agree that’s close.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Obviously not. And even if a team on paper is the favorite, chances are that they won't win stanley cup either.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
No, but they would if you add the 97 birth years. Matthews/M Tkatchuk/ McAvoy / Werenski amongst others. Maybe that was a given.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
If they all were hypothetically on their 3 year ELCS at the same time, then by year 3 I think they could make a push for and in the playoffs.

after that they would lose many pieces due to the cap

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I think they make the playoffs but bow out early. There wouldn't be many teams that have more talent to work with which is normally good enough to get you into the dance. I have no faith in their D holding up though because of their inexperience when the games really matter.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wonder what it would look like if you did Canada or Finland.

You can make a poll. I’ll vote in it.

The reason I made this poll is because it’s a group of about 90 total players selected in their D-3 season, and they can ice an NHL roster. Most good D-3 prospects don’t even get drafted.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'll echo the too inexperienced sentiment

I do think they would probably make the Playoffs though which is pretty impressive in and of itself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad