Would Sweden won the 1996 World Cup if they got past Canada?

Sorey*

Aug 26, 2016
Sweden lost to Canada in double OT in one of the best international games I ever seen. If Sweden got to the final, would they beat the US in Bo3? Possibly since Sweden won 5-2 against the US in 1998 olympics, but who knows.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I don't think so myself,especially in a best 2 out of 3 series.That U.S team was legit the best team there that year, nice mix of size,speed and talent.

They were the best team.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
The US was a very strong team. Sweden might have beat them, but I doubt they would have.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
One of my favourite games (and tournaments...) ever. And that says alot, as my team lost.

Swedens biggest weakness would have been goal and 3rd pair D and depth forward. But even the SHL-career players are players that today would easily find jobs in the NHL, and everyone on that team outside Nylander are players that where known to play team first and being able to be an bigger part together than as indivudals would indicate. Maybe Nylander has the worst repetutation to some here, but in the WorldCup 96 was actually more physical than I´ve ever seen him. And around that time he was often Swedens best player in tournamenst. One of Tre Kronors greatest according to me, even if his NHL-career left mor wanting. Remember early in the game, when Lindros had a few shifts where he, as he sometimes did, just didn´t care about the puck. He just flew around the rink trying to hit swedes as hard as he could to set the tone of the game. The swedish commentators where going nuts. I just laughed and loved it. Nylander was actually the only that got the best of Lindros as I remember it (some years ago now...). Not nearly as soft as some remember him. Most because he, like the Sedins of today, didn´t play an way that sought out contact. But he, at least prime, could take an big hit and still control the puck.

And an young just emerging Salo (who was coming off two incredible IHL-seasons...) and an Söderström who had 1 NHL game left in his career where playing great. But an US-team facing them 3 straight games may have found more weakness there. Or it would have been Salos coming out party (he was the starter on the Islanders that season...) and his career may have taken an different road. He had already shown that he was an tournament goalie in the IHL and Olympics. So he was as tought as an up and coming winning goalie that rose to the occassion. And just a few years from being an top 5-10 goalie, even if people seem to forget that about him as well :D

That was an great defense, with an Calle Johansson playing the hockey of his life to go with prime Lidstrom, just emerging Norstrom, prime puck-boards-out-Albelin and very underrated Roger Johansson and Popovic.

Up front an possessed Sundin led the squad. Along with LeClair the best forward of that tournament as I see it. Sweden had an great center depth. The wingers didn´t have the flare the swedish have had since the early 00´s. But every single winger on that team was "the smart type" that wouldn´t cost you anything, even if they wouldn´t create tons of chances on their own. And Dahlén, Garpenlöv, mid 90´s Sundström and a few others could be 1st-2nd liners on any team for a few games.

That sure was an team that was greater than their indivudal parts would suggest. One of the best swedish teams ever, even if not close to best assemlings of swedish hockey players. But such teams are most often better in 1 game against an "greater" opponent than more games. I would love to say Sweden here, but I think no one was taking US that tournament. An hope for Sweden would be that the US wasn´t coming in to the finals against them with as much to prove as against big brother Canada. That could have taken the edge of a few of their players. But I think not. What an great team that US was. Damn. Got to watch some of those games again. Even if I may turn it off after Alfredssons and Garpenlövs posts... ;)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
No, they don't beat the Americans. I mean, Canada would have won if not for a couple of things. Claude Lemieux fanned terribly on a 2-on-1 late in the game when Canada was up 2-1. A minute later was Hull's tying goal with a minute left. Not only that, Lemieux threw the puck away right to Brian Leetch which led to a point shot and deflection from Hull. Tie game. Curtis Joseph didn't help with a late game collapse either.

I just think the Canadians and Americans matched up better with one another. One thing we forget, that was a physical series. The two teams hated each other. Could Sweden have handled that? I don't think they could have. Not to mention the Americans had some good speed on that team, were young, had the best defense in the tournament and Mike Richter was in one of those "zones" he got himself in every now and then. No, it would surprise me if Sweden won, they weren't deep enough.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
No, they don't beat the Americans. I mean, Canada would have won if not for a couple of things. Claude Lemieux fanned terribly on a 2-on-1 late in the game when Canada was up 2-1. A minute later was Hull's tying goal with a minute left. Not only that, Lemieux threw the puck away right to Brian Leetch which led to a point shot and deflection from Hull. Tie game. Curtis Joseph didn't help with a late game collapse either.

Yes, teams that make more mistakes tend to increase their chances of losing games. :scared:

Isn't that obvious?

Maybe Canada doesn't make those mistakes, and the Americans would have had fewer mistakes as well, and still would have won.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Yes, teams that make more mistakes tend to increase their chances of losing games. :scared:

Isn't that obvious?

Maybe Canada doesn't make those mistakes, and the Americans would have had fewer mistakes as well, and still would have won.

If Claude Lemieux scores on that two-on-one with over 3 minutes left he makes it a 3-1 game. It's over at that point. But other than that what is your point? My point is that Canada was right there at the end with the U.S. and I don't think Sweden who did not have Canada or U.S's depth would have been in the running by the 3rd game.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
If Claude Lemieux scores on that two-on-one with over 3 minutes left he makes it a 3-1 game. It's over at that point. But other than that what is your point?

My point was "what was your point?".

Yes, if Canada did better in the game, they would have had a better result. If the United States did worse in the game, they would have had a worse result.

It reads as sour grapes to frame it the way that you did ("Canada would have won if it weren't for the things that led to the loss.").

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
My point was "what was your point?".

Yes, if Canada did better in the game, they would have had a better result. If the United States did worse in the game, they would have had a worse result.

It reads as sour grapes to frame it the way that you did ("Canada would have won if it weren't for the things that led to the loss.").

Oh yes, I still remember Claude Lemieux for that. It was the epitome of anti-clutch. Just awful at that time in the game. 20 years is a long time to get over things but man, even a pass to Graves, or heck, even a pass to Messier who was tapping his stick for the one-timer would have been better. Here it is. Start at 36:00

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad