Would stars from the 50s be good players today? If in prime.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
We all know that most of those snowflakes lacked the mental toughness to survive the spotlight modern athletes deal with or the dedication to survive the workload of endless football.

Like Gerd was amazing, such a crafty little goal-machine...but Gerd wouldn't have made it as a pro now-a-days. With how much he drank, he would've flamed out at the academy level.
Like I said he would be condition to not drink as much. Plus there’s Adriano and dinhos of the world

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Like I said he would be condition to not drink as much. Plus there’s Adriano and dinhos of the world

That's kinda my point, we saw them flame out early instead of staring well into their 30s like Gerd was able to :dunno:

I guess if growing up now lead him to be a different person he might not have flamed out, but if he were a different person he may not have cared as much about putting a ball into a net.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
A) and by 31 he was back in Brazil
B) partying way too much is different from hardcore alcoholism
I don’t know him personally but Dinho from what I can tell is an alcoholic like Adriano.

I haven’t seen a clip of Mueller nor I’m I old enough to have watched him. I’m just saying if he lived in this era he might have fared better to deal with his issues. Either way the talent is there and it would’ve translated. Which is the question of the thread.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don’t know him personally but Dinho from what I can tell is an alcoholic like Adriano.

I haven’t seen a clip of Mueller nor I’m I old enough to have watched him. I’m just saying if he lived in this era he might have fared better to deal with his issues. Either way the talent is there and it would’ve translated. Which is the question of the thread.

Not saying they weren't alcoholics too, just saying staying out partying even though you have work in the morning is a different kind of alcoholism than needing a drink to steady your hands, first thing in the morning. Ya know? Dunno about Dinho or Adriano, but Gerd was a hardcore alcoholic, not just a party boy alcoholic.

And I hear what you're saying, but you're assuming that any changes from being raised in a better era would only positively impact his football; when for all we know the same demons that drove his alcohol abuse, were what made him so obsessed with a game that didn't even pay life changing money yet, that he became such a legendary talent.

So we can't just say that 'the talent was there, so the player would've succeeded'...especially not when we see countless players with talent fail in every age group because (more than ever) it requires not just talent but dedication and commitment to make it as a footballer.

Regardless of how talented they are, players can't get away with partying all summer and getting back into shape over the first few weeks of the season. That's what separates Julian Draxler from Rapey-Ronaldo.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The majority of athletes let alone footballers were probably major smokers from the 1910s until the 1980s or so. Zidane smoked and I believe Cruyff smoked a ton, but not sure if he did as a footballer. Zidane's smoked lungs wouldn't pass football medical physicals nowadays lol.
Skill would translate. There aren't many players (if any) that have the technical skills of a Maradona, Platini or even Zidane.
But in terms of athleticism, ouch. Not many would exist.
Came to post the exact same thing, athleticism is so good nowadays with players that Maradona or Platini would still be top 5-7 in the world in terms of talent, but they wouldn't be able to use all of their talent as well as Haaland, Mbappe, Messi, or CR7 have done in their careers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad