OT: Would Q get credit if the team bounces back next year?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
There have definitely been a few who have said we could have won with any coach behind the bench. And another poster who wants to bring back Keenan.

He's generalizing everyone with that stuff though. A few posters out of hundreds doesn't warrant the things he says. Hell, I've said the Hawks probably could have won with a different coach. At least a couple of the Cups. Those teams were really, really good. It doesn't take away The things Q did to help them win. The blatant and ignorant hyperbole all the time is way over the top, at this point.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
There have definitely been a few who have said we could have won with any coach behind the bench. And another poster who wants to bring back Keenan.
I know that I am 1 person who has said to show me what he implemented during the playoffs that either changed things around for us or was the catalyst for our Cup win...I say that not in a Q was garbage mentality, but more so I can't really recall if he did anything that really got us over the top. were there any pairings he put together that were genius ?? or line combos that he put together that clicked? he is the guy that helped take this team to the top, and I will always be grateful for that, but when you look back did he really create/lead this team to it's cup wins or was he right place right time kind of coach??

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Right place right time. Absolutely no question.

And to answer the question.... nope. The same way he gets no credit from me for doing things like...oh...dressing Vermette and Teravainen in the playoffs???? The game has passed him by. He's not going to adjust how the Hawks play next season.

If the Hawks make the playoffs, it will be any number of the following that is the difference:

Crawford being healthy and having another Vezina caliber season in spite of the poor team defense...

Another Hart caliber performance from Patrick Kane...

Toews returning to form....

Keith having a Norris caliber season...

Last edited:

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Right place right time. Absolutely no question.

And to answer the question.... nope. The same way he gets no credit from me for doing things like...oh...dressing Vermette and Teravainen in the playoffs???? The game has passed him by. He's not going to adjust how the Hawks play next season.

If the Hawks make the playoffs, it will be any number of the following that is the difference:

Crawford being healthy and having another Vezina caliber season in spite of the poor team defense...

Another Hart caliber performance from Patrick Kane...

Toews returning to form....

Keith having a Norris caliber season...
tough spot for Q to be in for you. Absolutely no way to win...

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Not after pissing away the last two seasons of the core's prime by refusing to adapt. Hawks are 2-3 years behind the curve at this point. That's all on Q and the coaching staff. And just to clarify, he's not going to get any credit... because he's stubborn and I don't see him changing his approach at this point.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
@ChiHawk21 - Do you think Q will be able to adjust his systems? Do you think his systems will work in today's NHL? What would you change if anything?

I am not trying to call you, just curious to how you see it.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
@ChiHawk21 - Do you think Q will be able to adjust his systems? Do you think his systems will work in today's NHL? What would you change if anything?

I am not trying to call you, just curious to how you see it.

I think he will have to adapt to having less talent on his roster. He wasnt able to last year we will see early if he can this year. I think his systems do work in todays NHL if they are tweaked to play with the talent on the roster. I would play seabrook way less and rely on murphy way more. I would also have him stick with the same lines longer then he usually does. Also i think with the top players not being as good anymore they will have to change into more a forchecking team rather then a possession team. Not all the time but enough to mitigate the nuetral zone turnovers. Keith shouldnt be on the power play. i dunno i would do a good amount of small changes but every person has there own opinions.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Last year was that chance for Q to pull a 180.

Pretty much best defensive forward...gone
Best defensive defenseman....gone
Clearly a declining Seabs & declining Toews
3 goals in 4 games

His only saving grace on offense the prior season was the Party line and then the Saad trade happened.

Meanwhile, adding speedsters up front and some puck moving on the back end.

Q didn't do a damn thing, he tried to turn Murphy (and Kempny, lol, even Ruuta) to Hammer lites, he hoped Saad would become Hossa, he hoped the Party line would be as dominant without the breadman, DeBrincat pretty much forced himself into the lineup with goal after goal yet still saw 3rd line ice time, and for the umpteenth season in a row he saw the power play as time off from defense.

If by some miracle Q turns into Mike Sullivan then...okay. I'm not holding my breath and even if Q had great ideas I really think the quality of play and body language of the core said it all last season. It's just time to move on.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
i just feel like he helped build it why not give him a shot to help revive it. 9 good seasons out of 10 and 3 cups should give you the leeway.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
i just feel like he helped build it why not give him a shot to help revive it. 9 good seasons out of 10 and 3 cups should give you the leeway.

9 good seasons out of 10? Uhh.... First round exits aren't good seasons. I don't care what you did in the regular season.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Most of the hockey world would give him credit as would his players and media

Only Hawk fans would bash him and refuse to acknowledge anything positive. We see that very clearly with how several people dismiss his role in Cups and claim he was not even a factor in why teams won those 3 cups

Sad reality is Hawk fans will glorify an overrated coach like Keenan and yearn for those days while bashing the best coach we have ever had in franchise history and one of the greatest coaches in NHL history

Its pathetic really

Weird coming from you

Q needs to adjust the way he coaches. We need D that skate the puck, and he needs to let them do that

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Most of the hockey world would give him credit as would his players and media

Only Hawk fans would bash him and refuse to acknowledge anything positive. We see that very clearly with how several people dismiss his role in Cups and claim he was not even a factor in why teams won those 3 cups

Sad reality is Hawk fans will glorify an overrated coach like Keenan and yearn for those days while bashing the best coach we have ever had in franchise history and one of the greatest coaches in NHL history

Its pathetic really

You mean like how you are with Kempny?

Yeah, it is sad and pathetic.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I think he will have to adapt to having less talent on his roster. He wasnt able to last year we will see early if he can this year. I think his systems do work in todays NHL if they are tweaked to play with the talent on the roster. I would play seabrook way less and rely on murphy way more. I would also have him stick with the same lines longer then he usually does. Also i think with the top players not being as good anymore they will have to change into more a forchecking team rather then a possession team. Not all the time but enough to mitigate the nuetral zone turnovers. Keith shouldnt be on the power play. i dunno i would do a good amount of small changes but every person has there own opinions.

Keith not on the PP? At this late juncture that light will go on for Q?

Not use the blender? That's Q's only move. He will not go away from that.

Forecheck team? Q couldn't draw up a pressure scheme for when they're on the PP. Now you want it 5 on 5? Won't happen.

Q gonna Q and then we'll see what happens regarding his continued employment. I'd have found an opportune time a while ago to promote Q to the front office but I'm not in charge.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I give credit if it's actually on the Coaching. More situations like Kempny or others in the past and stupid decisions will take credit away.

ProphetofthePuck

Dec 2, 2017
lmao ..... the "Credit" would be sold as a commodity at the exchange...... wait no ....better words ..... the "Credit" everyone has got one ....

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If he actually adjusts his system to the talent he has and to the trends of the modern NHL I'd give him all the credit in the world and be thrilled.

Because he's a good coach in many ways. It's just that he's also got a lot of bad hang-ups when it comes to player usage and his own stubbornness. If we could keep the good and fix the bad, that's the ideal scenario.

I just don't believe he can or will.

And who in the hell wants Keenan back? What?

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Weird coming from you

Q needs to adjust the way he coaches. We need D that skate the puck, and he needs to let them do that

That is why I'm high on The Joker. Think Leddy with D upside.

Will Q let him do it? Who knows. But I'm not so naive that I think if Joker sticks past his 10 than he'll be the saving grace on D.

Call me a cynical bastage but I think 2019 is Q & Stan's swan song. I don't think the 'hawks are going to do much better this coming season than #2WC/One-and-done at best given the holes the team has, and both their heads will roll for it.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
This is sort of like asking what we would do with the money if we won the state lottery. It is a pointless discussion because we are not going to win the state lottery. That is, the Hawks will not rebound in any significant way next season with this coaching staff --- and credit will not be there to apportion. More to the point...

will Q last out the season? I hope not. Actually, I hope he is out before the season starts... if some. But w/ Q at the helm... no rebound is in the works.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
This is sort of like asking what we would do with the money if we won the state lottery. It is a pointless discussion because we are not going to win the state lottery. That is, the Hawks will not rebound in any significant way next season with this coaching staff --- and credit will not be there to apportion. More to the point...

will Q last out the season? I hope not. Actually, I hope he is out before the season starts... if some. But w/ Q at the helm... no rebound is in the works.
sure the blackhawks being good again next season has the sames odds as winning the lottery...gotchaaa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad