Would Nazem Kadri have made a difference against Boston in last years playoff series?

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
I always thought if the refs had called anything on the Bruins a lot earlier maybe Kadri doesn't end up cross checking DeBrusk to his face. So the fact that's where they drew the line is a joke.

It's also funny seeing Kadri getting suspended for the remainder of that series because of that, where as Chara does the same thing towards the neck of Brendan Gallagher almost 2 weeks ago and all he got was a $5,000 fine. I know Kadri was considered a repeat offender in the eyes of the NHL, however it still doesn't make sense even looking at it today.

Finally when looking at the video of what Kadri did to DeBrusk last year, notice how right before DeBrusk hits Marleau almost into that stanchion by the Bruins bench and that's why Kadri went after him.

Chara gets away with so much shit ALL the time just because "he's so tall".

And this is not even me being a biased Leaf fan. I like Chara the person but hate all the dirty things that dinosaur does which encapsulates everything shitty about the Bruins.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
So how come in 2018 with Toronto coming back from a 3-1 series deficit and Kadri returning for Game 5 that year, they didn't win that series with him back in the lineup? Let's also remember in Game 7 that year they were up 4-3 going into the 3rd period and lost 7-4.
So.
How come.
You just say you don't like Kadri.
No prob.
Terrible trade.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
He did make a difference by getting suspended.Unfairly in my opinion. One of my favorite Leafs though. Wish him well in Colorado.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
It's funny the abuse he has taken since he was drafted. From back and forth to the minors, to the GM at the time questioning on Saturday night HNIC wondering which team he is playing for. Guy did everything asked of him. Became a better player defensively, improved at the faceoff, took a friendly cap deal at the time. Everything the current Leafs fail to do but he did it. Babs asked him to play a physical shut down role and he did, did it well. Only guy with a heart beat on that team and when another player tried to take out his knee he took it upon himself.

We have a heartless, puke of a GM. People wonder why this team plays so soft, because it's in the image of the GM. Give me three more Kadri's and we win the cup.

It's amazing how stupid Leaf fans are on this board on what you need to win a cup-you need grit. Even the last couple of Pitt cups, they have grit on that team. Malkin for all his skill has grit, he's not getting pushed around out there. Where the **** was Nylander in the playoffs last two years? Because he is soft.

#FIREDUBAS

Reactions: Koolboss

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

Chara and Marchand do worse than this on every damn shift.
I always thought if the refs had called anything on the Bruins a lot earlier maybe Kadri doesn't end up cross checking DeBrusk to his face. So the fact that's where they drew the line is a joke.

It's also funny seeing Kadri getting suspended for the remainder of that series because of that, where as Chara does the same thing towards the neck of Brendan Gallagher almost 2 weeks ago and all he got was a $5,000 fine. I know Kadri was considered a repeat offender in the eyes of the NHL, however it still doesn't make sense even looking at it today.

Finally when looking at the video of what Kadri did to DeBrusk last year, notice how right before DeBrusk hits Marleau almost into that stanchion by the Bruins bench and that's why Kadri went after him.

Hard to be a repeat offender when they never penalize you for your bs. How Chara has not been suspended multiple times is a joke.

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
He's right though, did you miss the Chara crosscheck on Gallagher?
i am not defending chara i will be the first one to say he deserved a suspension but the discussion was about Naz and everything was one sided and geared towards the poor Naz sentiment , all i did was point out that he started the dirty stuff and finished it . people complain about the trip to naz by Debrusk somehow completely excuse or turn a blind eye to all the dirty stuff Kadri did prior to it .

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It would be a glorious day if an honest discussion could ever be had about the league's blatant double standards for player discipline.

Still blows my mind how much the media can influence the image of a player. Chara has been a dirty thug for years but somehow escapes most criticism because the media barely mentions his bullshit.

Clearly a well educated and unbiased statement , you're embarrassing yourself with statements like that im sorry
Chara sucker punching Tavares was the single dirtiest and most suspendable play of the entire series and it didn't even get mentioned on the post-game show.

Nobody's denying Kadri's dirty shit, it's the double standard that gets me the most.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Who knows but my point is in the end once Kadri returned and they came back from 3-1 down to force a Game 7, they still lost with him back in the lineup.

I will also say again last year after going up 3-2 for Game 6 in Toronto and leading 1-0 in the 1st period, they ended up losing and also lost Game 7. The only difference is Kadri was suspended for the remainder of that series however long it went if the Leafs had advanced.

They were clearly better with him in the line-up. If he's in the line-up they are likely not down 3-1, and therefore possibly even not going 7. Having to win only 2 of 3 games is a better chance than HAVING to win 3 of 3.

Same with last year, if he's in the line-up and we're still up 3-2 we have a better chance at winning one of games 6 or 7.

If Kadri doesn't get suspended at all at least one of those years we are in the second round if not both.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Dubas trading Kadri was a direct result of signing Tavares. If Dubas didn't sign Tavares our lineup very easily could have been constructed with balance without inlfated RFA contracts. Taraves was a big mistake.

Hyman Matthews Marner
Johnsson Kadri Nylander
Mikheyev Engvall Kap
Goat Spezza Clifford

Rielly 2D
Muzzin 4D
Dermott Holl

Reactions: Koolboss

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
It would be a glorious day if an honest discussion could ever be had about the league's blatant double standards for player discipline.

Still blows my mind how much the media can influence the image of a player. Chara has been a dirty thug for years but somehow escapes most criticism because the media barely mentions his bullshit.

Chara sucker punching Tavares was the single dirtiest and most suspendable play of the entire series and it didn't even get mentioned on the post-game show.

Nobody's denying Kadri's dirty shit, it's the double standard that gets me the most.
are you serious? that was dirtier than a crosscheck to the face? like ive said in the past i dont have a problem saying chara should have had a hearing for that but saying that it was dirtier than what kadri did just proves my point of being completely one sided from this fan base when pointing fingers .

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
are you serious? that was dirtier than a crosscheck to the face? like ive said in the past i dont have a problem saying chara should have had a hearing for that but saying that it was dirtier than what kadri did just proves my point of being completely one sided from this fan base when pointing fingers .

110% dirtier than a crosscheck to the face.

Shots to the back of the head can cause permanent damage, let alone a sucker punch. There's a reason they're illegal in MMA and boxing.

Keep letting the media form your opinions for you. Bullshit like you're saying keeps Chara safe from criticism.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Kadri's a dirty player and always has been. The problem I, and I expect most Leafs fans have, isn't his suspension it's the lack of awareness to both sides.

Game 2 and even game 1 the previous year were out of hand on blatant missed calls. Doesn't excuse Kadri's reaction, but highlights the poor job the officials did.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
It absolutely was. The Kadri crosscheck was not nearly as bad as you're making it sound.

Reactions: 1specter

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We have a heartless, puke of a GM. People wonder why this team plays so soft, because it's in the image of the GM. Give me three more Kadri's and we win the cup.

It's amazing how stupid Leaf fans are on this board on what you need to win a cup-you need grit. Even the last couple of Pitt cups, they have grit on that team. Malkin for all his skill has grit, he's not getting pushed around out there. Where the **** was Nylander in the playoffs last two years? Because he is soft.

#FIREDUBAS

Let me see if I got this right. You say we need 3 more players who can't control their emotions and thus get suspended the minute the playoffs start to win the cup. And Dubas is a heartless puke. Oh yeah, and Leaf fans are stupid.

No wonder you identify so strongly with Kadri, you also seem to have trouble controlling your emotions.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Dubas trading Kadri was a direct result of signing Tavares. If Dubas didn't sign Tavares our lineup very easily could have been constructed with balance without inlfated RFA contracts. Taraves was a big mistake.

Hyman Matthews Marner
Johnsson Kadri Nylander
Mikheyev Engvall Kap
Goat Spezza Clifford

Rielly 2D
Muzzin 4D
Dermott Holl

Though where do those phantom D men come from?

Maybe you can get someone fro. free agency, but thats no guarantee

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kadri's a dirty player and always has been. The problem I, and I expect most Leafs fans have, isn't his suspension it's the lack of awareness to both sides.

Game 2 and even game 1 the previous year were out of hand on blatant missed calls. Doesn't excuse Kadri's reaction, but highlights the poor job the officials did.

Id absolutely agree that league officiating and player safety is just garbage.

Though as far as this thresd goes, Kadri had to have realized as a repeat offender he was a marked man and that unnecessary cheap shots would lead to trouble

Last edited:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Id absolutely agree that league officiaring and player safety is just garbage.

Though as far as this thresd gies, Kadri hsd to have realized as a repeat offender he was a marked man and that unnecessary cheap shots would lead to trouble
Yup, the situation doesn't excuse his poor decisions. It just questions how equitably the standard is enforced

Reactions: Menzinger

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I believe so. Remember that we had Boston on the ropes, up 3-2, heading onto home ice for Game 6. Even without Kadri the majority of the first five games, we were the better team overall, although it was close. It was in the last two games that the Bruins got away from us, and I think having Kadri certainly helps.

A big reason we lost, as I recall, is that their depth just outplayed ours. Nylander as 3C was pretty much the line bright spot, and I remember a few good things from Ennis/Moore, but overall, the Bruins' 3rd & 4th line just worked ours over. It wasn't even the "perfection line" that did us in. So yes, I think it is very possible that having Kadri on the 3rd line, and then being able to slide Brown down to the 4th line, probably would've helped massively, and we may have won the series in 6.

But who knows? Goaltending & special teams were also somewhat shaky as I recall in the final few games, so maybe elevated 5v5 play, or some extra penalty trouble brought on by Kadri would've done us in?

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Let me see if I got this right. You say we need 3 more players who can't control their emotions and thus get suspended the minute the playoffs start to win the cup. And Dubas is a heartless puke. Oh yeah, and Leaf fans are stupid.

No wonder you identify so strongly with Kadri, you also seem to have trouble controlling your emotions.

I don't actually. What I was getting at is this team needs more players that play with passion and are not afraid of rough play. You think Col complains as much as you that Lemiux drove Draper into the boards? They still won cups and he was a very important piece on two other teams. This team lacks heart, character, grit and every other quality needed to be a top team. You have an immense difficulty understanding that,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->