Would Nazem Kadri have made a difference against Boston in last years playoff series?

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Yes, especially last year's series. We would have won if Kadri hadn't gotten himself suspended.

That said, he did. And trading him was the right call. There was no need for him, Gardiner, Marleau, or Babcock to ever come back. They each proved themselves to be useless to the team.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
My point is some people say if Kadri was not suspended last year most likely Toronto wins that series. However in 2018 when he returned from his suspension in Game 5 and they were able to force a Game 7, they still lost the series with him being back in the lineup.

I think you’re misrepresenting what people are saying. I think people say that Kadri being suspended hurt the Leafs chances. That’s it. Not that they would have won.

Boston is all that the Leafs can handle at full power, losing a matchup center that was supposed to make your top 2 centers a matchup nightmare for the opposing coach is what hurt the team.

it didn’t take them from “Leafs will beat Boston” to “Leafs will lose now”. It was always going to be a series played in the margins, which is exactly what it was.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think you’re misrepresenting what people are saying. I think people say that Kadri being suspended hurt the Leafs chances. That’s it. Not that they would have won.

Boston is all that the Leafs can handle at full power, losing a matchup center that was supposed to make your top 2 centers a matchup nightmare for the opposing coach is what hurt the team.

it didn’t take them from “Leafs will beat Boston” to “Leafs will lose now”. It was always going to be a series played in the margins, which is exactly what it was.
I see your point. However would you not agree it's weird to say they would have won if Kadri didn't get suspended, even though we have the evidence of him being allowed to play again in 2018 and Toronto still lost that series in a Game 7. I completely see the point about him not being suspended and that possibly making a difference, I'm just asking based on what we know happened.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I see your point. However would you not agree it's weird to say they would have won if Kadri didn't get suspended, even though we have the evidence of him being allowed to play again in 2018 and Toronto still lost that series in a Game 7. I completely see the point about him not being suspended and also making a difference, I'm just asking based on what we know happened.

Ya for sure. No one can say that. All you can say is that it gives them a better chance. Boston isn’t a team anyone can be sure they can beat. They are tough for every team in the league. Kadri doesn’t guarantee anything for the Leafs

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Ya for sure. No one can say that. All you can say is that it gives them a better chance. Boston isn’t a team anyone can be sure they can beat. They are tough for every team in the league. Kadri doesn’t guarantee anything for the Leafs
Obviously if Kadri never gets suspended they have a better chance to win with him in the lineup, especially last year because they were up 3-2 going back to Toronto for Game 6. What hurts the most is how they were up 1-0 in the 1st period of that game. It just sucked that Jake DeBrusk was allowed to get away with all those cheap and illegal hits on Kadri in Game 2 and when he retaliates the refs decide to give him a game misconduct and the league suspended him for the remainder of that series.

Reactions: TmlHockeyFan

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Obviously if Kadri never gets suspended they have a better chance to win with him in the lineup, especially last year because they were up 3-2 going back to Toronto for Game 6. What hurts the most is how they were up 1-0 in the 1st period of that game. It just sucked that Jake DeBrusk was allowed to get away with all those cheap and illegal hits on Kadri in Game 2 and when he retaliates the refs decide to give him a game misconduct and the league suspended him for the remainder of that series.

Kadri needed to grab debrusk by the shoulder, spin him around, drop one glove and tag him in the face with his fist. But he didn’t choose to do it that way.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Kadri needed to grab debrusk by the shoulder, spin him around, drop one glove and tag him in the face with his fist. But he didn’t choose to do it that way.
Even if that happened wouldn't he still have been given a game misconduct and end up getting suspended? Although it might have been worth it given what DeBrusk and the Bruins were allowed to get away with themselves.

Reactions: Koolboss

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Even if that happened wouldn't he still have been given a game misconduct and end up getting suspended? Although it might have been worth it given what DeBrusk and the Bruins were allowed to get away with themselves.

I kinda have a feeling he might have gotten a roughing penalty in context of the officiating in that series

great

Apr 14, 2018
Yeah they would've won. That's probably why he was suspended for the whole series, and the Bruins players didn't get anything. I think the Bruins knew to get under his skin.

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Those two years were Leafs golden chances and yes we would have won both the series. As stupid as the cross check and hit was the refs were definitely not fair
t

Reactions: TmlHockeyFan

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I kinda have a feeling he might have gotten a roughing penalty in context of the officiating in that series
When it comes to the Leafs and the Department of Player Safety who knows. The last time a player was suspended for an illegal hit against a Leafs player was in 2013. However when things like that happen against them in the Boston series nothing happened to the Bruins players, where as with Kadri he got the book thrown at him.

Although in Game 7 Tavares had this punch thrown at him by Chara at the end of the 2nd period and he wasn't given a penalty. So you think if Kadri does the exact same thing he would have got away with it?

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Yes. Also considering that Chara did the same thing to Gallagher and then mocked him for it but received nothing but a fine equivalent to a night out at the club for the team, just goes to show DOPS is a joke with double standards. Maybe if Gallagher dove like DeBrusk did Chara may have gotten a penalty at most.

There were many things the Bruins did in the series that were just as bad if not worse than Nazem did and they received nothing.

The Barrie trade is a bust.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
There were many things the Bruins did in the series that were just as bad if not worse than Nazem did and they received nothing.
Besides what the Bruins got away with in their series from last year, look at how Marner gets hit by both Chara and Wingels in their 2018 series which lead to Kadri getting a 3 game suspension.

Now look at what Jake DeBrusk did to Kadri in Game 2 of last years series and this was prior to the cross check Kadri gave him later on and got him suspended until the series would be finished.

Reactions: IPS and WildWolfdog

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Divine intervention wouldn't have made a difference. It was shocking that the leafs were up 3-2 in the series.

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
and there is more , this also a nasty one right to the head and no call
so to say they would win i guess we dont know because what if he skated around and made stupid dangerous plays like this giving the bruins pp chances and as a result it doesnt go 7

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Considering the amount of things they let go during the game. It was completely unfair for Naz. They should've call penalties way earlier for Bruins.
I always thought if the refs had called anything on the Bruins a lot earlier maybe Kadri doesn't end up cross checking DeBrusk to his face. So the fact that's where they drew the line is a joke.

It's also funny seeing Kadri getting suspended for the remainder of that series because of that, where as Chara does the same thing towards the neck of Brendan Gallagher almost 2 weeks ago and all he got was a $5,000 fine. I know Kadri was considered a repeat offender in the eyes of the NHL, however it still doesn't make sense even looking at it today.

Finally when looking at the video of what Kadri did to DeBrusk last year, notice how right before DeBrusk hits Marleau almost into that stanchion by the Bruins bench and that's why Kadri went after him.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
A difference yes. He as an individual who knows. But from a team perspective he really made things more challenging on Babbs.

Line combinations and players rolls would of been different. Impact enough to change the final results? Who knows...

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Would the Leafs have won the Stanley Cup if Kerry Fraser called that high stick? Don't know, don't care it's in the past.

Same with Kadri and the 2 series. Don't know and don't care it's over now.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Kadri wouldn't have made a big difference in the power play or penalty kill. These are the reasons why the Leafs lost the series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad