Would Nazem Kadri have made a difference against Boston in last years playoff series?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
They were also down 3-1 in that series and won 2 out of 3. And last year we owned them the whole series, kadri cost us our advantage of having nylander as a top 6 instead, it made our 3rd line redundant. We would have won game 4 or 6 last year if we had kadri for sure. Games 7s are crapshoots
I remember how they were down 3-1 in the 2018 series.

Besides the ripple effect of Kadri's suspension last year and somehow going up 3-2 with a chance to eliminate Boston in Game 6 and leading 1-0 in the 1st period, the difference was Boston scoring back to power play goals in the 1st period taking a 2-1 lead, than they made it 3-1 in the 2rd period. Although Kadri didn't play on the penalty kill so he wouldn't have made a difference on the Boston's power play goals.

I previously mentioned how Matthews made it a 3-2 game in the 3rd period and Babcock kept line matching and didn't change anything like double shifting him since he was Toronto's best player that whole series.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yes - at least as fsr as last ywar.

If He stays in the lineup, Nylander stays on Matthews wing giving that line even bigger edge at 5v5 situations.

Its not the only thing impacting the series outcome, but ive never been madder at a player worse than I was at Kadri after that hit. And i normally love thr guy

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yes - at least as fsr as last ywar.

If He stays in the lineup, Nylander stays on Matthews wing giving that line even bigger edge at 5v5 situations.

Its not the only thing impacting the series outcome, but ive never been madder at a player worse than I was at Kadri after that hit. And i normally love thr guy
Let's say he's not suspended and they win that series or they win the series despite him being suspended, is he still traded for Tyson Barrie? I know Kyle Dubas said he didn't trade him because of that, however I believe him being suspended in back to back playoff series was a factor in him being traded.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'd like to believe they would have won considering the series came down to the final game, though said game wasn't exactly close. The suspension did cause a ripple effect. Kadri is better than the forward (Ennis?) that entered the lineup in his place. Nylander could have very well found himself higher up in the lineup (on Matthews' wing) instead of being needed to centre the third line.

Take out that most recent suspension though and this was still a team with Matthews and Tavares ahead of Kadri on the depth chart. There was also a need at RD. Hypothetically, remove Tavares - since he joined the team after Matthews - from the team. It would then be tougher to trade away Kadri, even with the suspensions.
I just looked up their rosters between Game 2 and Game 3 to see who did not play and you are right that it was Tyler Ennis who replaced Kadri in the lineup.

Reactions: Buds17

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Yes. I think we win in Game 6 if he plays. Dude just could not keep his cool for Christ’s sake.

Let's say he's not suspended and they win that series or they win the series despite him being suspended, is he still traded for Tyson Barrie? I know Kyle Dubas said he didn't trade him because of that, however I believe him being suspended in back to back playoff series was a factor in him being traded.

No one will be able to convince me that Kadri’s back to back suspensions weren’t a factor in his being traded.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Imo his fate with the team was sealed with that suspension.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
What about those who say Babcock got out coached especially in last years series. In Game 6 when Matthews scored in the 3rd period to make it a 3-2 Bruins lead we still saw Babcock line matching and didn't want to change the way he coached. Shouldn't he have been double shifting Matthews every chance he could because he was Toronto's best player in that whole series.
Well that's a different discussion altogether right?

Your thread is asking would Kadri have made a difference? He definitely would've both years but he made his choices. Leafs had the talent to make a push and try to steal the series but if their 3 Centres are their plan and scheme, it's hard to run another scheme overnight.

But then maybe it's not? Maybe Babcock wasn't able to adapt. But it's hard to blame Babcock for Kadri's actions. He never told him to do that. Team almost pulled it off, but they cracked when the pressure got too much.

Boston is a good team and they knew that without Kadri, along with no RD presence besides old man Hainsey, and they manipulated it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Well that's a different discussion altogether right?

Your thread is asking would Kadri have made a difference? He definitely would've both years but he made his choices. Leafs had the talent to make a push and try to steal the series but if their 3 Centres are their plan and scheme, it's hard to run another scheme overnight.

But then maybe it's not? Maybe Babcock wasn't able to adapt. But it's hard to blame Babcock for Kadri's actions. He never told him to do that. Team almost pulled it off, but they cracked when the pressure got too much.

Boston is a good team and they knew that without Kadri, along with no RD presence besides old man Hainsey, and they manipulated it.
Obviously I'm not blaming Babcock for a stupid decision Kadri made in back to back playoff series, even though Kadri thought he was justified since in 2018 he was sticking up for Marner on an illegal hit which did not get called and in 2019 he was given some cheap hits by Jake DeBrusk which were also not called and he just snapped.

However I will say when looking back at Game 6 when Toronto had a chance to eliminate Boston last year, after Matthews made it a 3-2 game in the 3rd period and the Leafs were down by 1 goal. That's when Babcock should have adjusted his strategy and stopped with all the line matching.

Reactions: MattySnipes

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
This hypothetical scenario depends on how far they would've gone? What if Kadri finally learned his mistakes and changed and never got triggered in big games?

If they got to the ECF, and Kadri was a big part to hypothetical success then I believe front-office and Dubas would agree to hang onto him, because he won them over.

Problem is, their season ended in the first round with the incident fresh in their mind.

His fate was sealed.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
I feel like we win both series with him playing. At the very least last years series.

Most frustrating team ever honestly.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This hypothetical scenario depends on how far they would've gone? What if Kadri finally learned his mistakes and changed and never got triggered in big games?

If they got to the ECF, and Kadri was a big part to hypothetical success then I believe front-office and Dubas would agree to hang onto him, because he won them over.

Problem is, their season ended in the first round with the incident fresh in their mind.

His fate was sealed.
I completely agree that his fate of sealed after they were eliminated last year. So for Dubas to say his suspensions were not the reason he was traded is something we know he wasn't telling the truth.

Now if they made the Eastern Conference Final or even the Stanley Cup Final which wouldn't have seemed crazy since they would have gone through Columbus and Carolina had they defeated Boston, maybe Kadri stays. However that's something we will never know and it's a what if scenario.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I completely agree that his fate of sealed after they were eliminated last year. So for Dubas to say his suspensions were not the reason he was traded is something we know he wasn't telling the truth.

Now if they made the Eastern Conference Final or even the Stanley Cup Final which wouldn't have seemed crazy since they would have gone through Columbus and Carolina had they defeated Boston, maybe Kadri stays. However that's something we will never know and it's a what if scenario.
Dubas is a players GM. He wouldn't throw Kadri under the bus like that. Dubas knows the fans and media are smart and intuitive.

We know that's the major reason why he was traded, even if he never admits it. I dont have a problem with it.

Kadri was one of my favourite's but his actions in back-to-back years is absolutely unacceptable. A trade was absolutely justified.

filthyMitz

Feb 5, 2018
Indiana
Definitely for 2019. He had a great game 1 (great assist on Nylanders goal) and was the best leaf on the ice during game 2. What he did was a shame because he had the ability to bring an aspect to the game that most of is teammates were, and continue to be, incapable of.
We out hit Boston in both series.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Dubas is a players GM. He wouldn't throw Kadri under the bus like that. Dubas knows the fans and media are smart and intuitive.

We know that's the major reason why he was traded, even if he never admits it. I dont have a problem with it.

Kadri was one of my favourite's but his actions in back-to-back years is absolutely unacceptable. A trade was absolutely justified.
I agree the trade was justified because Dubas didn't want to take a chance of seeing that happen for a 3rd year in a row, especially if they ended up playing Boston once again.

Reactions: MattySnipes

filthyMitz

Feb 5, 2018
Indiana
Who knows but my point is in the end once Kadri returned and they came back from 3-1 down to force a Game 7, they still lost with him back in the lineup.

I will also say again last year after going up 3-2 for Game 6 in Toronto and leading 1-0 in the 1st period, they ended up losing and also lost Game 7. The only difference is Kadri was suspended for the remainder of that series however long it went if the Leafs had advanced.
The point you’re making is not that great so I’ll ask a not so great question; If we won two and lost 1 when Kadri returned, what was our record after his suspension was over?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
No one thinks that Leafs were unbeatable with Kadri in the lineup
Well...every team is beatable. Kadri just gave the team a gameplan they're comfortable with and one they used all season long. When that asset is off the team, it's hard to ask everyone to adjust but the great teams can. Leafs weren't a great team last two years.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No one thinks that Leafs were unbeatable with Kadri in the lineup
My point is some people say if Kadri was not suspended last year most likely Toronto wins that series. However in 2018 when he returned from his suspension in Game 5 and they were able to force a Game 7, they still lost the series with him being back in the lineup.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The point you’re making is not that great so I’ll ask a not so great question; If we won two and lost 1 when Kadri returned, what was our record after his suspension was over?
Are you asking how far do the Leafs get in last years playoffs if they defeat Boston and Kadri was able to return from his suspension? On paper I think it's a reasonable chance they make the Stanley Cup Final because I can't see them losing to Columbus in the 2nd round and Carolina in the Eastern Conference Final.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad