Speculation: Would Minnesota trade Kirill Kaprizov?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
He's a good reporter, but all of this is a good example of how unreliable Russo is as an analyst.

Russian businessmen who own teams = mafia. American businessmen who own teams = job creators and good community folks.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
How do? Are you saying hes incorrect?
I'm saying that most of what he's had to say on the matter is conjecture and that, by and large, he's not good at that sort of thing. He'd probably tell you the same thing if you asked him outright.

It's pretty clear that when it comes to Kaprizov in particular he doesn't know any more than we do, which is what's relayed through Milstein.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Russian businessmen who own teams = mafia. American businessmen who own teams = job creators and good community folks.

More like friends of Putin who got rich privatizing soviet resource companies in the 90s and infrastructure corruption in 2000s. I don't think you live in a sack, so what is the point you are making here?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
More like friends of Putin who got rich privatizing soviet resource companies in the 90s and infrastructure corruption in 2000s. I don't think you live in a sack, so what is the point you are making here?

The point about double standards.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Russo is purely speculating in that regard. He has no idea about “the Russian mafia owning teams and threatening players families if they leave.”

Seems to me Russo is spewing outdated 1990s era stereotypes in an attempt to justify why Kaprizov, in the short term, chose the KHL over the Wild.

Russo is either exceedingly ignorant, or a biased hack.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Seems to me Russo is spewing outdated 1990s era stereotypes in an attempt to justify why Kaprizov, in the short term, chose the KHL over the Wild.

Russo is either exceedingly ignorant, or a biased hack.

Russo is generally a pretty good and typically unbiased reporter, but as Bazeek said, when he tries to be an analyst he can make some pretty bad reaches and sometimes say things he’s probably better off not saying. Presumably he said this thing about Kaprizov on the podcast, which is usually less “official” than his Twitter or his articles.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I love the mobster stuff mentioned in with the general consensus he'll be coming over in two years, it makes it sound like the Russian hockey mafia has their own Rumspringa where they have to stop threatening and coercing players for some brief window and let them try out other leagues.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I love the mobster stuff mentioned in with the general consensus he'll be coming over in two years, it makes it sound like the Russian hockey mafia has their own Rumspringa where they have to stop threatening and coercing players for some brief window and let them try out other leagues.

“Alright we’ll give him 5 years to go play in the NHL but if he doesn’t pay us 25% of his contract every year him and his family will be swimming with da fishies”

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You guys make fun but do you truly think that KHL players haven’t been coerced to stay?

Until there’s evidence of the contrary, yeah I’m going to believe that there aren’t a bunch of Russian mafia members walking into these players houses telling them bad things will happen if they choose to go play a game somewhere else for a while. It’s not like they’re selling Russia’s national secrets to terrorists.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You guys make fun but do you truly think that KHL players haven’t been coerced to stay?
I think a lot of stuff goes on behind the scenes in both leagues. If someone has evidence of the Russian mafia coercing an actual player to stay and play in the KHL I'd be all ears, but I haven't seen any yet. All I've heard is speculation that goes something like this:

1.) Russia has organized crime
2.) Russia's organized crime has historical relationships with some of its more prominent business and political leaders
3.) Many KHL owners are also powerful business and/or political figures
4.) Sometimes Russian players choose to play in Russia instead of the NHL
5.) 1 and 2 somehow play into 4, because of 3

(Note that you can change "Russia" to "US" and "KHL" to "NHL" and it'll be just as true)

Point 5 seems baseless and unnecessary. In Kaprizov's case in particular he was presented with two competing options:

1.) Make the jump to NA to play for a team that was (in good faith) attempting to operate primarily through his NA agent. Because that agent doesn't seem to have been reliable and because the team had no secondary lines of communication, he didn't end up hearing much from Minnesota.
2.) Stay in Russia for another 2 years, make a bunch of money playing for one of the best teams in the league, and play in the Olympics. And this camp is giving him the full court press in terms of courtship.

Nothing about the situation requires coercion or the mob to explain it.

Reactions: AKL

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I think a lot of stuff goes on behind the scenes in both leagues. If someone has evidence of the Russian mafia coercing an actual player to stay and play in the KHL I'd be all ears, but I haven't seen any yet. All I've heard is speculation that goes something like this:

1.) Russia has organized crime
2.) Russia's organized crime has historical relationships with some of its more prominent business and political leaders
3.) Many KHL owners are also powerful business and/or political figures
4.) Sometimes Russian players choose to play in Russia instead of the NHL
5.) 1 and 2 somehow play into 4, because of 3

(Note that you can change "Russia" to "US" and "KHL" to "NHL" and it'll be just as true)

Yep. This is just standard capitalism.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
How about we get back to hockey? There are plenty of political forums out there with enough vitriol to bathe in. I come here to get away from the real world.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
He should watch out, the Russian mafia goons gonna give him trouble.

Yeah it's clear from his Instagram and Twitter that he's held under great duress by the Russian mafia, better run off to Minnesota where literal Fargo happened, I'm sure he'll be safe there

Reactions: Fantomas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad