Speculation: Would Minnesota trade Kirill Kaprizov?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
what if Boston offered Ryan Donato or Vegas offered Cody Glass? A lesser "good" prospect would certainly be an attractive offer and worth considering, no?

What team is going to offer up an asset like that when there's no guarantee that Kaprizov would even come over for them?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
His new 3 year KHL contract says otherwise. I think he will come, just not anytime soon

How does his three year contract indicate he won’t come? And then you state yourself he’s coming? I never stated a time frame or said it was soon, I just said he’s coming.

EDIT: I believe I said earlier on he’d come over afer his contract and I think I said it ended a year before it does, so that’s my bad.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
His new 3 year KHL contract says otherwise. I think he will come, just not anytime soon
He'll come once his current contract ends in 2 seasons. His current deal was signed likely due to lack of communication with the Wild as prior management didn't go talk to him until after the extension was signed, the Russians going to the Olympics while the NHL couldn't, as well as possible family pressure.

He has since said in interviews that he intends to head to the NHL once his deal is done. Given the likelyhood of that being true, even if there's still a chance it might not be, there's zero reason for the Wild to move him.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It was a three year contract, but only two year extension.

The first year he was already under contract, but they raised that salary from something like 70k towards 1 million dollars. That's huge incentive for the extension.

KHL season ends before the NHL, he'll be playing for the Wild come April 2020.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
For not coming yet? I think it had something to do with his old North American agent, and lines of communication between KK and the team being muddled.

Not to mention he wouldn’t be considered for Russian national teams. He was essentially being told, “sign here or shun yourself from Russia”

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i don't think anyone would trade much for his rights unless they were certain he'd come over. He's good enough for the Wild to hang on to the rights unless it's something unreasonably valuable being offered IMO.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
what if Boston offered Ryan Donato or Vegas offered Cody Glass? A lesser "good" prospect would certainly be an attractive offer and worth considering, no?

Hold on. You think Vegas would offer the same Glass they wouldn’t move for EK but will for a prospect that has yet to come to North American to play. Teams won’t offer those good pieces as there is far to much uncertainty.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Hold on. You think Vegas would offer the same Glass they wouldn’t move for EK but will for a prospect that has yet to come to North American to play. Teams won’t offer those good pieces as there is far to much uncertainty.

I think he said “what if,” not “I think Vegas would/should offer Glass”

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Top prospect for a rental vs top prospect for top prospect?

I don’t think there is much uncertainty. Kaprizov is developing on the KHL’s dime and will likely come to Minnesota at the end of his contract. He’s exactly the type of player we need and by then we should be primed for some deep runs in the playoffs. Hopefully by then we have a center or two to replace Staal/Koivu.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Does he just not like the Wild or what is her reasoning for not coming?

It's an overall dilemma with prospects having to sign structured ELCs when they enter the NHL. Minnesota could offer a max ELC, but that would only be 925K guaranteed at the NHL level but also Kaprizov could make much less if he were in the AHL. That was the problem with Atlanta and Ilya Nikulin back in the day. Nikulin had interest in coming over, but he would have had to take a paycut initially.

If his KHL contract ends in 2020, he could sign a two year ELC and possibly burn the first year.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
They wouldn’t move him for EK so there are no IF’s. He will not be traded.

You don’t understand what “if” means or the point of a message board, do you?

As mentioned earlier, there’s a difference in trading a top prospect for a rental vs. trading a top prospect for arguably a slightly better top prospect.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
No, he can't. The lack of a transfer agreement between the KHL and NHL doesn't allow for it.

That seems weird but I guess it might be different for the KHL. The Finnish league definetly is not like that. Look at Granlund a few years back

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That seems weird but I guess it might be different for the KHL. The Finnish league definetly is not like that. Look at Granlund a few years back
It's a KHL-specific thing, as far as I know. The NHL has transfer agreements with the other major pro leagues.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Think they'll keep him. If he doesn't come over for another yr. or 2 they may weigh their options with him.

Considering the earliest he could possibly come over is 2020, it’ll be at least 2 years before we start “weighing our options.” Assuming he doesn’t come over, which all signs point to him having interest in playing over here.

StateOfHockey101

May 19, 2015
He has never said he wont play for the wild.

Russo has said numerous times in his podcast that he hasn't come over yet because of the amount of pressure there is to stay in Russia. Hes stated how many of the teams there are run by the Russian mafia, and in the past some players families have been threatened if they leave for over seas.

He didnt say this is what has happened with kk, but said it's not as easy as people think to get Russian players over here.

All we know is, he signed the deal in Russia to play this season and next, and then all indications are he will come over then.

Russo also pointed out that this may be a blessing in disguise for the wild, because if he came over 2 years ago when he was drafted, he'd be in the final year of his elc, and need to get paid big right now, which they couldn't do. So this way, his elc will be done 5 years from now when some of their contracts come off the books. Just a thought

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He has never said he wont play for the wild.

Russo has said numerous times in his podcast that he hasn't come over yet because of the amount of pressure there is to stay in Russia. Hes stated how many of the teams there are run by the Russian mafia, and in the past some players families have been threatened if they leave for over seas.

He didnt say this is what has happened with kk, but said it's not as easy as people think to get Russian players over here.

All we know is, he signed the deal in Russia to play this season and next, and then all indications are he will come over then.

Russo also pointed out that this may be a blessing in disguise for the wild, because if he came over 2 years ago when he was drafted, he'd be in the final year of his elc, and need to get paid big right now, which they couldn't do. So this way, his elc will be done 5 years from now when some of their contracts come off the books. Just a thought
He's a good reporter, but all of this is a good example of how unreliable Russo is as an analyst.

Reactions: Fantomas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad