Speculation: Would Minnesota trade Kirill Kaprizov?

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
It seems as though there is the chance, *however* slight, that Kaprizov may not ever report to the Wild. Surely they'd rather get value from that asset rather than watch the value of that asset diminish without ever coming to North America. However, I can't imagine that Minnesota would want to make another team significantly better by moving Kaprizov for an asset which doesn't do much for them.

Would Wild fans rather see Kaprizov stay in Russia, rather than collect a lesser asset and have him report for another NHL team? Obviously they'd prefer he report to Minnesota, but if that isn't an option would the Wild be looking for prospect, or an established vet, or something else...? Maybe keeping him away from a rival NHL club is enough use of an asset they can't have themselves. :dunno:

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
what if Boston offered Ryan Donato or Vegas offered Cody Glass? A lesser "good" prospect would certainly be an attractive offer and worth considering, no?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Ive kinda moved on from ever thinking he will come. Wild will just hold onto him. IMO his trade value wouldnt be too high due to the major uncertainty so why not just hold onto him

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
If he is dead set on not playing for the Wild(has he actually indicated that?) Then nobody will trade for him until he is actually coming over. If he just doesn't want to come over regardless no team is going to give up an asset that would make sense to the Wild handing over a lottery ticket for later.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Kaprizov will come over towards the end of next season after the KHL playoffs are done and burn a year of his ELC.

No reason to trade him unless it's a significant return.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I’d move him for Vilardi or another blue chip C prospect. Otherwise I’d rather keep him. He was a 5th rounder so it’s not like we really lost a whole lot if he never comes. But I’m confident he’ll come over after this next season.

Reactions: ZigZag

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If he is dead set on not playing for the Wild(has he actually indicated that?) Then nobody will trade for him until he is actually coming over. If he just doesn't want to come over regardless no team is going to give up an asset that would make sense to the Wild handing over a lottery ticket for later.

He hasn’t actually indicated that, and if signs mean anything, he’s followed the Wild on instagram and has liked some of their posts. Further, if he wants to play in the NHL, but just doesn’t want to play for the Wild, his best chance is to play for the Wild for his ELC before moving on. Otherwise the Wild will retain his rights forever and he can just rot in Russia.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He hasn’t actually indicated that, and if signs mean anything, he’s followed the Wild on instagram and has liked some of their posts. Further, if he wants to play in the NHL, but just doesn’t want to play for the Wild, his best chance is to play for the Wild for his ELC before moving on. Otherwise the Wild will retain his rights forever and he can just rot in Russia.
Yeah I had always assumed it was more of a he just wants to stay in Russia rather then he isn't coming because of the Wild. If that is the case there is no upside to trading him at all in my opinion. You keep building without him with the hope that eventually you can add on a player of that calibre for free. Doesn't even matter if its 4 years down the line.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah I had always assumed it was more of a he just wants to stay in Russia rather then he isn't coming because of the Wild. If that is the case there is no upside to trading him at all in my opinion. You keep building without him with the hope that eventually you can add on a player of that calibre for free. Doesn't even matter if its 4 years down the line.

I don’t even think he wants to stay in Russia necessarily. I think signing this two year deal he’s currently on was somewhat of a bridge deal for coming over. I think he just wanted to wait until he would have a better chance at top offensive minutes here.

The kids only like 21 right? 22? I haven’t checked recently. It’s similar to Kuznetsov’s situation in that regard. He’ll come over at the same age as Kuz did and likely hop in to the top 6 right away (don’t be surprised to see Zucker or Nino traded this season or next summer to make room for him).

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I have began to worry less and less about this. I wouldn’t love him unless for a blue chip C. Kids a stud, I wouldn’t be surprised if he comes over in 2 years and leads our team in scoring. He’s said in interviews that he wants to play in the NHL, and he even likes the Wild’s stuff on instagram.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I would guess they take Glass but say no to Donato.

Donato had a really good 12 games, but he’s a LW which is something we don’t need at all. It would take an equal blue chip C prospect like Mittlestadt, Glass, Vilardi, Necas, etc for us to move Kaprizov.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If the Wild are sensible, then they will listen to what KK and his agent ( Milstein?....same agent as Ivan Lodnia, who has already signed an ELC with the Wild, so no problems there) have to say. If they say that they are not interested in signing a deal, then the Wild would be wise to listen to offers, keeping in mind that some feel that KK has first line elite forward written all over him.
It's not like the acquiring team won't talk to KK first before the deal is done, and satisfy themselves that they can sign, and bring him over.

MN has little experience with Rusian players, but there is hope that Lodnia( Russian via Ukraine/LA)and Sokolov will be around within the next couple of years. Sokolov has played with him a bit...If it comes down to it the Wild might have to get a Russian speaker both on the coaching staff and on the team.

All this is assuming that KK continues to improve, or at least maintain, his level of play in the KHL, which is very promising.

I do think he would be an excellent fit for the Wild hockey wise. I could see he and Granlund making quite the duo, or if he turns out to be more of a playmaker in the NHL then he and Zucker/Nino.

if KK doesn't want to play in MN, you'd have to ask why. It is a solid organization, in a pleasant, liveable city, with a great hockey culture, good team, and a good coach. If it's the lack of Russian speakers on the team then that can be fixed. Like I said earlier, I see a good hockey fit, with Granlund/ Zucker/Nino and a raft of skilled Dmen to get the puck to him.

If, however, the problem is the size or location of the city( i.e. If he wants the LA,NYC, TOR, CHI experience) then it severely limits the amount of trade partners for the Wild, and makes a decent return harder to come by. In such a case I would stick by my guns as a GM, and not move KK till I get a significant return.

Reactions: hirawl

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
He's never said he's not coming over and the new management has been in touch with him. Wild keep for sure and hope he is their first true star since Gaborik.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Does he just not like the Wild or what is her reasoning for not coming?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
You keep him until you know that he wants nothing to do with the Wild. In that case, you sure as hell trade his rights to the East, get something back and go on with your life, knowing that at least you've made the best out of a bad situation.

If there is a glimmer of hope of him signing, there's no asset you could get for him that made more sense than keeping KK.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If there is a glimmer of hope of him signing, there's no asset you could get for him that made more sense than keeping KK.

If I could get a blue chip C prospect like the ones I mentioned above it would make more sense than keeping him. Even if KK ends up being an 80 point LW and those others end up being 70 point C’s, I’d consider that a win.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
Does he just not like the Wild or what is her reasoning for not coming?
It is likely because he was getting paid good money to be a star in his home country and got to win an olympic gold. It is probably better than playing hockey in Iowa. If you can make the same money at home vs the AHL and know that at the end of it you can play in the NHL either way, why not develop at home?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad