Would Miller start for the US if Olympics were 2011?

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by AmericanDream, Jan 18, 2011.

1. AmericanDream

AmericanDream Adopted Canadian

Ryan Miller is not having the greatest of years so far. The entire Sabres team is not doing so hot, but Miller has not been his super hero self this year.

So I pose a question, would Miller start if the Olympics were in a month for the US??

Tim Thomas has rebounded from last year, that he is the clear cut Vezina winner again. Jon Quick has played extremely well this season, and Jimmy Howard has been lights out as well. Maybe the bigger question is, would Miller even make team USA with the way Howard and Quick have played this season?

Stats wise both Howard and Quick are top 5-8 goalies so far....just a thought

2. thomasincanada

thomasincanada Registered User

Yes, it's only been a year since his stellar olympics.

Jack Campbell is garbage in Windsor yet Team USA put him back in the starting role for the World Juniors and he proved he deserved it.

Some goaltenders just can step it up for big games.. at least American goaltenders.. not so sure about Canadian ones these days.

3. PaulieVegas

PaulieVegas Registered User

He definitely makes the team. He's only one year removed from thriving on the biggest stage against the biggest players and I still maintain he's the world's best goalie right now. I think he's just having a let-down year. He won the Vezina and the Olympics MVP last year, that must have been an intense experience. So he's probably just kinda burned out and mailing it in this year.

Now, whether he starts? Gosh that's tough. We saw how well he did in Vancouver, it's hard to ignore how well Thomas is playing this season. I'm glad I don't have to make that decision. I'd say pay close attention in practice, let each play a preliminary round game, and then make your decision going forward the rest of the tournament.

I think the same three goalies make the team this year as last. Miller, Thomas, and Quick. Howard's been good but I still think he's our fourth best goalie. And Craig Anderson's not far behind. Gosh, we have a real glutton of goalies right now.