Would fans support NHL players in the new WHA if it does get started?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I would if they gave up membership in the PA.

No player in the assiciation should be playing anywhere. They are locked out. Wheres the sense of brotherhood.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Nope. I am a Rangers fan and a Rangers fan only. On top of that, I watch NHL hockey because it's generally the best 700 players in the world playing. I wouldn't have much interest in a league with a few good players and a bunch of "scabs".

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The talk of other leagues to me is nonsensical. I have been a hockey fan for 30+ years.

The first player I can remember really liking is Yvan Cournoyer.(I became a Habs fan instantly.) I liked Darryl Sittler too(But I didn't tell my friends. :D )

I admired the Bruins and Stan Jonathan and Rick Middleton and strong adversaries. The Broad Street Bullies scared the crap out of me.

The Flying Frenchman of the late 70s amazed me with their dominance. I had a soft spot for the Sabres too at the time.

The Islanders of the early 80s amazed me with their sheer will to win.

I moved to Alberta in 1984 but I liked the Oilers before my move because of their immense skill. I have cheered for Edmonton and Montreal as my teams of choice all my life.

With this lockout, I still like Horcoff and York...but where are they playing again? I am also a Joe Thornton and Rick Nash fan. I don't know where they are playing either. I think Naslund just started playing for Modo. Richards and Lecavalier went to play for Abramovich because he has all the cash in the world. Do I know how they are doing? Nope. Do I care? Nope.

There is one prize in hockey. And if every NHL player went to the new league and it started out, I really couldn't care less than I do right now. Because my memory is ingrained with all of my hockey memories from the past. They include Montreal, Toronto, Boston, Philly, NY, Vancouver, et al. Any other quasi replacement league wouldn't get my support.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i love hockey...period. i went to see the colorado eagles (chl) last night, and was really surprised to see how much i enjoyed it. the first few games i watched on tv didnt do much, but going live to a couple now, i have to admit i get pretty pumped. the crowd is into it a lot more than an nhl game, and because these guys generally arent that hot defensivley there's a ton of good chances. big hits. fights if you like that sort of thing. to answer the original question, sure id watch it, just because ive realized i love the game more than any one jersey (been that way since the whale left - so i guess im a bad example). i watch DU all the time. going to a good game, drinking a couple of beers you can afford, eating bad food and cheering cause its exciting has been an eye opening change of pace. the eagles games are significantly more fun than the avs games, imo. i miss my favorite players, and the chance to see my favorite team go for a cup, but ill never limit my hockey to one league. these minor league games have more of the feel i connected to going to the nhl than the actual nhl does these days. i like a blue collar crowd, they really love it - and tons of kids screaming and dancing. the eagles sell out every game (about 4/5 thousand), so im sure not all minor league experiences have been like mine.

long story short, if the wha came to my town, i would put aside all the lockout crap gladly to watch the best talent available in a more exciting format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad