Would Erik Karlsson be a top 6 forward?

Would EK be a top 6 forward if he was to switch positions?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Simple.

If you told EK that he was to suddenly switch positions play forward, would he be top 6 calibre?

Messed up the poll options: "Yes" is just top 6 but not top line.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Would Erik "can't play defense" Karlsson be a good top 6 forward? :sarcasm:

*shrug* probably

He's the best offensive defenseman and his defense to offense transition game is elite so I think that would help him.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
With his playmaking, skating and creativity he would make a great Center.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Would Erik "can't play defense" Karlsson be a good top 6 forward? :sarcasm:

*shrug* probably

He's the best offensive defenseman and his defense to offense transition game is elite so I think that would help him.
Another quality post.

This entire thread is ridiculous.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
It's a pretty major adjustment. His inexperience with forechecking will hold back his entire line at first, and I suspect he might struggle with his positioning and assignments. Forwards will often peel off their marks and hand them off to the defensemen, but someone like Karlsson might fall into a habit of tracking his guy too long and losing someone else.

However, given enough time, Karlsson would adapt and be a PPG top line forward, I'm sure.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Burns was a top 6 forward. If he could do it I’d put money on EK having similar success.

Burns was drafted as a forward but transitioned to a Defensemen when he turned pro.

Erik would probably be a fine Forward over time but his skill set really shines as a defensmen.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
None of us can really know. But "top 6" is vague and open enough that I would confidently answer "yes."

There's some pretty bland wingers out there who play a top 6 role. So it seems pretty plausible that Karlsson would be just as good as some of them.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Burns was drafted as a forward but transitioned to a Defensemen when he turned pro.

Erik would probably be a fine Forward over time but his skill set really shines as a defensmen.

Burns was a Dman in Brampton, Im almost positive. Pretty sure that it was the Wild that started using him up front first, but he's a always been a dman at heart.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Burns was a Dman in Brampton, Im almost positive. Pretty sure that it was the Wild that started using him up front first, but he's a always been a dman at heart.

That's not what his heart says. :sarcasm:

Asked recently as a day ago about this, Brent Burns said: "People want to say that me and Karlsson bicker for the same position [top D-man on a great team like the Sharks] but I play forward so I don't care where they put me."

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
That's not what his heart says. :sarcasm:

Asked recently as a day ago about this, Brent Burns said: "People want to say that me and Karlsson bicker for the same position [top D-man on a great team like the Sharks] but I play forward so I don't care where they put me."

No Burnzie fans around the Polls forum? :(:(

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

I was pretty sure he was a forward but regardless he spent parts of his career as both before he even played a game of bro hockey. He was familiar with both. And his skill set would translate a lot better.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Actually, I've suggested that in Swedish Olympic teams and the like, playing him as a forward might be worth consideration. Well, perhaps not at this point in time but Sweden's D just is so much stronger than their F.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad