Would Enforcers have prevented Kassian's kick?

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Kassian did something stupid and dangerous again.

But the punishment still needs to fit the crime.

No one on the ice thought this was an infraction period. People can freak out about skate blades and what ifs but in context to what Kassian actually did this was not news worthy.

Kassian only gets suspended because of his long term and recent history.

I think he should have only gotten 2. Or maybe even 4 since I'm an Oiler fan and therefore bias.

7 is just way too much in light of Chara significantly more dangerous situation that only resulted in a fine.

The people who are seeing intent to injure on this one are truly bias against Kassian (somewhat warranted) or the Oilers.

Op question is rediculous. Enforcers would laugh their butts off if they were asked to "protect" anyone after a nothing incident like this.
It's pretty news worthy. Kids are taught when they're 5 years old never to use the skate as a weapon. It's also common sense because you can seriously injure or kill another player depending where you clip them.

I know Kassian has the mental brain capacity of a 3 year old so he might not know the dangers involved. But that just means he is a complete risk on the ice at all times.

Honestly any neutral fan would say that deliberately kicking another player should result in a life time ban surely. And yes, if a Flames player was dumb enough to go around kicking players I'd want them kicked out of the league too because I don't want to see another player die.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No just like enforcers didnt prevent anything dirty happening when they were on the ice. People live in a fantasy world if the think the game isnt actually cleaner now then it has ever been. An effective DOPS goes a much longer way in curbing dirty play. Hit players where it hurts the most, their bank account.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Enforcers mostly fought against themself, and never really prevented anything, lol.

The most memorable retaliation beatings were fights between regular players, not enforcers...

Reactions: 1989

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Enforcers mostly fought against themself, and never really prevented anything, lol.

The most memorable retaliation beatings were fights between regular players, not enforcers...

Exactly. Like when Wheeler and Malkin fought because Malkin caught him a little high one game. Neither of them needed some 4th line plugs to go out there and fight for them just to shorten the bench even more and spend more time in the box then they likely would on the ice.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
When was the last time Kassian expressed remorse for anything he did on the ice? He talks about "The Code" then keeps right on doing this crap. If you think having to fight for making a dirty hit is something that would dissuade Kassian, well, I can't say i agree with you. And that's putting it nicely

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
How did you decide on making the difference between Probert and Domi with Simon?

Chris Simon scored 29 goals right in the middle of the dead puck era. Probert got 29 in 87-88 with scoring very high and Domi topped at 15 (which too be honest surprised me). The difference is that Simon led his team in goals including having Bondra on the team.

Can you explain why you called out Simon?
I'm not sure what goals has to do with it. Simon wasn't just a dirty player, he was a dangerous one, and playing in a league with some of the greatest enforcers ever didn't stop his antics.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
There have always been guys like Raffi Torres, Brad May, Steve Downie etc who went over the line and no enforcer ever deterred anything they did.

The Brad May-Kim Johnsson incident in 2007 is such a great example of how enforcers didn't deter anything and how insanely flawed the entire self-policing system is.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
But how does disciplinary action prevent anything? What player has changed because of being suspended? Cooke changed after getting knocked senseless from Kane. Any other players you can reference?

Getting beat up is also disciplinary action, just from a different source.

You asked a question, had it answered my multiple people and still refuse to accept the answer. Seems like you won't be happy until someone gives the answer you're looking for.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The Brad May-Kim Johnsson incident in 2007 is such a great example of how enforcers didn't deter anything and how insanely flawed the entire self-policing system is.
And remember, that was 7 years after May got 20 games for an unprovoked, pointless baseball swing at Steve Heinze, 5 years after he was arrested for attacking a police officer, and 3 years after the Bertuzzi/Moore incident. He got 3 playoff games for the relative sucker-punch on Johnsson.

And, let's not forget about Matt Johnson. You know, that goon who had several suspensions throughout his career for various incidents but is most known for the incident that ultimately forced Jeff Beukeboom to retire due to post-concussion syndrome. The offense? Beukeboom had tripped up Glen Murray earlier in the game and had put a physical hit on Ray Ferraro the season prior that injured Ferraro's knee. The way to exact payback for that as an enforcer? Obviously, it was to go after a guy who was also known for tough, physical play and was perfectly willing to drop the gloves and ........ skate up behind him and sucker-punch him in the back of the head.

Stupid people are going to do stupid shit; they don't care about the consequences, and they really don't care if they think they're the biggest, baddest guy on the block no matter how many times they might get the shit kicked out of them.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Cooke changed after getting knocked senseless from Kane.
Right, that's why after Kane beat the crap out of him Cooke only

-- got suspended for 4 games in February, 2011 for a check from behind on Fedor Tyutin
-- got suspended for 10 games + the first round of the playoffs in March, 2011 for an elbow to the head of Ryan McDonagh
-- got suspended for 7 games in April, 2014 for a knee-on-knee on Tyson Barrie during the playoffs

as opposed to the six (6) games he'd received in three prior incidents [2 of which were from spearing noted goon Matt Johnson], not counting the hit on Marc Savard.

Good thing Kane beat the crap out of him to teach him a lesson. Lord only knows what Cooke would have done otherwise.

Reactions: stopclickbait

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
Not like Kassian would be afraid of fighting an enforcer anyway. Even if he got the snot beat out of him, he'd still be an enthusiastic participant.

Kassian had ample opportunities to drop them with true hw's 6-7yrs ago. He ran scared from Orr, McGratton, Macintyre ect. Dont confuse Reeves, Wilson, Lucic with the names mentioned above. Look at Lucic for example, hyped as some tough guy right up until he took a classic beating from Orr. Lucic fell in line after that. Kassian was never a enthusiastic participant fighting the true heavies. I doubt even guys like Probert, Twist, B Wilson would have prevented Kassians shenanigans though, something a bit off with BKat.

Last edited by a moderator:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
People always seem to forget that a in-his-prime Milan Lucic was on the ice when Savard got decapitated, too. I'm sure Cooke was absolutely terrified as he ended that dude's career.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY

Getting beat up is also disciplinary action, just from a different source.

You asked a question, had it answered my multiple people and still refuse to accept the answer. Seems like you won't be happy until someone gives the answer you're looking for.
No just like enforcers didnt prevent anything dirty happening when they were on the ice. People live in a fantasy world if the think the game isnt actually cleaner now then it has ever been. An effective DOPS goes a much longer way in curbing dirty play. Hit players where it hurts the most, their bank account.
There is NO place for enforcers in this game. That is, players who are known and used in roles solely as a FIGHTER. I will defend to my grave that the threat of players WHO ARE KNOWN TO FIGHT deters cheap shots in certain circumstances and fighting should be part of the game in limited instances. (not back and forth for a dozen seconds watching them exchange punches, I mean just a few good punches).

But staged fights? Fights after clean hits? Unprovoked fights? Players being forced to fight? There's NO place like that in this NHL and it makes the league look like a 2nd tier joke of a sport to a casual audience.

And I admit that what will deter cheap shots the most will never be enforcers, but much stricter suspensions for head shots.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It's pretty news worthy. Kids are taught when they're 5 years old never to use the skate as a weapon. It's also common sense because you can seriously injure or kill another player depending where you clip them.

I know Kassian has the mental brain capacity of a 3 year old so he might not know the dangers involved. But that just means he is a complete risk on the ice at all times.

Honestly any neutral fan would say that deliberately kicking another player should result in a life time ban surely. And yes, if a Flames player was dumb enough to go around kicking players I'd want them kicked out of the league too because I don't want to see another player die.

The fans and media need a penalty for embellishment.

"I don't want to see another player die".

Pronger got eight games for stomping on a player with clear intent to injure.

Kassian tapped a guy in the chest while rolling over to get free... and got 7 games. He was on his back with the player above him. No leverage. Both players were stationary. The impact might not have been able to scratch bare skin let alone penetrate all the equipment.

Kassian was not flailing around like a crazy person or even remotely trying to injure someone.

It was stupid. It was wrong. But it's severity/risk was a 2/3 out of 10. Chara throat chop a 7/8 out of ten = zero games. Pronger a 8/9 out of ten = 8 game.

7 games too much even considering his history imo. A suspension only warranted because of his history.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
Definitely not, knowing Kassian.

Also I absolutely hated and still hate the whole idea and concept of ”renegade police justice”, it’s not their job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad