Would Enforcers have prevented Kassian's kick?

barabas21

Mar 9, 2016
Kassian is not a tough player and he would have been a middle weight 10-15 years ago. I think if the Boogaards, Brashears etc. were still in the league Kassian would never have done that. Enforcers won't stop the average player from throwing a cheap shot, and haven't since the instigator. But now guys like Kassian, Lucic, Reaves etc. know they won't be held accountable so they throw cheap shots without any repercussions.

Lucic and Reaves used to play a tough honest game when the enforcers were in the league. They survived the purge and now are predatory and throw cheap shots. Kassian would have been kept in check for sure, because the big guys would have killed him.

So does the league need the atomic option?

barabas21

Mar 9, 2016
Oh and by the way, in case anybody actually does approach this as a serious discussion, a 7-game suspension without pay is an infinitely more effective deterrent than an enforcer could ever dream of being.

But what if an enforcer can deter Kassian from even doing this in the first place? Its the chicken and the egg.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
This is a serious question. Have you ever played hockey competitively? Be honest I just want to know.

If you have to ask this question, it’s a really strong indicator that you’re not going to build a very strong, rational argument going forward.

But to answer your question, no, I haven’t.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Oh and by the way, in case anybody actually does approach this as a serious discussion, a 7-game suspension without pay is an infinitely more effective deterrent than an enforcer could ever dream of being.
The exact opposite is true Kassian won't learn a damn thing, a tune up every time he pulls a stunt will it's the only thing his 3 brain cells understand.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
You also missed the point of what I was saying.

I perfectly understood your point, but I think your point is inherently flawed. Lucic and Reaves play the game on the borderline, as they have their whole careers. They are effective agitators who can contribute and play real hockey, but they very seldom go too far and they have respect and control over their games.

Kassian has been out of control ever since he signed his extension, and he's shown signs of this behaviour even before that. Your point hinges on conflating two types of players which are not the same.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Here's the weird thing.

The DoPS got the Kassian incident right.
But then they absolutely botched the Chara one.

I have no clue what they consider dangerous and stupid, both incidents were equally stupid for varying reasons, one was a 5k fine, an epic slap on the wrist, the other was a 7 game suspension. So bizarre and inconsistent.

Reactions: Beville

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Did they ever prevent stupid things like this before?
The so called taking liberties thing, yea it did. Kicking, no because almost no player is crazy or stupid eno
Here's the weird thing.

The DoPS got the Kassian incident right.
But then they absolutely botched the Chara one.

I have no clue what they consider dangerous and stupid, both incidents were equally stupid for varying reasons, one was a 5k fine, an epic slap on the wrist, the other was a 7 game suspension. So bizarre and inconsistent.
Chara gets the "veteran" pass a fair bit I find it ridiculous but it's not going to end until he retires.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The exact opposite is true Kassian won't learn a damn thing, a tune up every time he pulls a stunt will it's the only thing his 3 brain cells understand.

Tom Wilson concussed at least 3 players between the final game of the 2017-2018 regular season and his final game of the 2018-2019 pre-season. 3 concussions without a single regular season game.

Since his 20 game suspension, he has played 119 regular season games, another 7 playoff games, and a few pre-season games. I don’t believe he’s concussed anybody since then.

I know it’s easy to make fun of Kassian because he is a big bald stupid looking guy but the reality is that supplemental discipline in the range of >5 games without pay is much more likely to be an effective deterrent than enforcers are.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Kassian is not a tough player and he would have been a middle weight 10-15 years ago. I think if the Boogaards, Brashears etc. were still in the league Kassian would never have done that. Enforcers won't stop the average player from throwing a cheap shot, and haven't since the instigator. But now guys like Kassian, Lucic, Reaves etc. know they won't be held accountable so they throw cheap shots without any repercussions.

Lucic and Reaves used to play a tough honest game when the enforcers were in the league. They survived the purge and now are predatory and throw cheap shots. Kassian would have been kept in check for sure, because the big guys would have killed him.

So does the league need the atomic option?

I thought Lucic was supposed to be the big guy that kept everybody in line.. sure didn't help with the Tkachuk incident a month ago where he did nothing both the game Kassian beat up Tkachuk nor the rematch a couple weeks later

Reactions: Riddum

barabas21

Mar 9, 2016
I perfectly understood your point, but I think your point is inherently flawed. Lucic and Reaves play the game on the borderline, as they have their whole careers. They are effective agitators who can contribute and play real hockey, but they very seldom go too far and they have respect and control over their games.

Kassian has been out of control ever since he signed his extension, and he's shown signs of this behaviour even before that. Your point hinges on conflating two types of players which are not the same.

Lucic and Reaves were cleaner than borderline when there were legit enforcers in the league. Especially Lucic because there is a bigger sample size. The perfect example is Lucic behaving in games with enforcers but than runs Miller against the Sabres when they were one of the first teams to get rid of enforcers.

You proved my point by saying Kassian is out of control since he signed his extension. What enforcers have kept him in check since he signed his extension?

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Tom Wilson concussed at least 3 players between the final game of the 2017-2018 regular season and his final game of the 2018-2019 pre-season. 3 concussions without a single regular season game.

Since his 20 game suspension, he has played 119 regular season games, another 7 playoff games, and a few pre-season games. I don’t believe he’s concussed anybody since then.

I know it’s easy to make fun of Kassian because he is a big bald stupid looking guy but the reality is that supplemental discipline in the range of >5 games without pay is much more likely to be an effective deterrent than enforcers are.
You're defeating your own argument, 3 player concussions a goon enforcer would have made sure that didn't happen. I've been watching hockey long enough to remember the self enforcing thing did work, no way Wilson would be running around trying to hurt players or he'd be picking his teeth off the ice.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Also, Zack Kassian in particular took a pretty decisive loss to Micheal Haley, the closest thing we have to a modern day enforcer. (in terms of hockey skill, not heavyweight fighting skill)

It didn’t stop Kassian from throwing a few borderline hits when those teams met in the playoffs later that season.

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
Would enforcers have prevented Kassian's high stick from breaking Ganger's jaw? The guy just does not display average IQ and an enforcer isn't going to do much to remedy that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad