Would Detroit take on a bad contract for a prospect/pick?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'd rather sign some UFA and then trade some other roster player away from same position for futures, or for a young player. Then you get EXTRA VALUE for free, and transfer some other value for future strength on the roster.

1. Sign free UFA asset
2. Trade another asset for futures (picks, prospects).

repeat

1. Sign free UFA asset

repeat

1. Sign free UFA asset

repeat

Repeat this as long as it seems you have drafted a new Elite core.

Reactions: Pavels Dog

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
On one year deals, sure potentially. Like if someone wanted to Datsyuk us but that player wasnt going to just retire. Id rather do that than was many on UFAs for the next couple of seasons. But id be real leary about anything more than 1 year deals.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Orpik would only have 1 year left, so its a yes from me. Henkka’s way is good too

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
No. Detroit would never, under any circumstances, take on a cap dump in exchange for picks. In Holland's paradoxical world they will rebuild yet remain "competitive". That means spending over the cap before the season even starts. The Wings wouldn't DARE weaken a roster full of quality veteran pick-ups like Daley and Nielsen. :sarcasm:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Orpik would only have 1 year left, so its a yes from me. Henkka’s way is good too

If its 1 year I'm fine with it as long as it doesnt block a kid who should be playing. Though I guess we could always send him down to the AHL like what Toronto did with a few guys a couple years ago.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I cant imagine elite prospects or picks on the table for Orpik.

I mean what would our dream deal be?
what would a realistic deal be?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The only scenario I could truly see is that we would take on a short-term cap dump in order to get rid of a longer-term cap dump.

Can't really see us becoming the kind of salary cap toilet where other teams flush down their bad contracts.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
I think it be ok if could ship one of our slightly less terrible contracts the other way...for example bobby ryan for abdelkader plus a pick or prospect

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I think it be ok if could ship one of our slightly less terrible contracts the other way...for example bobby ryan for abdelkader plus a pick or prospect

This reads as you want to ship Abdelkader + a pick for Ryan. Is that correct? If so, that is insane. If not, it better be a really really good pick/prospect coming from the Sens for us to take on that albatross.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
This reads as you want to ship Abdelkader + a pick for Ryan. Is that correct? If so, that is insane. If not, it better be a really really good pick/prospect coming from the Sens for us to take on that albatross.

sorry i didnt make that clear. meant ottawa adding something in the calibur of a 1st round pick. wings could play him for a year or two and buy him out when they are ready to get good.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I'd rather sign some UFA and then trade some other roster player away from same position for futures, or for a young player. Then you get EXTRA VALUE for free, and transfer some other value for future strength on the roster.

1. Sign free UFA asset

repeat

1. Sign free UFA asset

repeat

1. Sign free UFA asset

repeat

this. should've started doing this 5 years ago.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?

1. Sign free UFA asset

repeat

1. Sign free UFA asset

repeat

1. Sign free UFA asset

repeat

That would suggest trading nyquist. like nyquist but he should fetch at least as good of a hall as we got for tatar.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
If its 1 year I'm fine with it as long as it doesnt block a kid who should be playing. Though I guess we could always send him down to the AHL like what Toronto did with a few guys a couple years ago.
Yeah I mean realistically we're gonna be garbage for 3 years at least.

We could take on a bad contract for 1-3, or even 4, 5 years and just stash them in the AHL. Obviously that denies some people a spot on the Griffins, but it does mean we're not denying kids spots on the Red Wings. We don't get much cap relief from it but the whole point is we're trading cap space for picks and prospects.

That said, WHAT CAP SPACE?!?!?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
name the roster players wings traded for picks/prospects during the playoff streak and the players who kenny signed in UFA to replace them.
What I'm saying is that we were in position to do that stuff, but teams don't sell while in playoff position. It's an unreasonable expectation that they should do it.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
What I'm saying is that we were in position to do that stuff, but teams don't sell while in playoff position. It's an unreasonable expectation that they should do it.

they can sell/trade players for picks/prospects in the offseason. which is what henkka is referring to here. like trading nyquist. sign free UFA(s) to replace him. trade him next offseason/TDL.

wings either extended guys or let the walk. were never proactive in trading guy who didn't want stay here or were going to get overpaid.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Yeah I mean realistically we're gonna be garbage for 3 years at least.

We could take on a bad contract for 1-3, or even 4, 5 years and just stash them in the AHL. Obviously that denies some people a spot on the Griffins, but it does mean we're not denying kids spots on the Red Wings. We don't get much cap relief from it but the whole point is we're trading cap space for picks and prospects.

That said, WHAT CAP SPACE?!?!?

Well, the cap is supposed to go up, plus if we did have an LTIR situation with Kronwall for example, that would give us space. Not to mention, I would like to see us move some guys. We're not talking today.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
In theory I'm okay with it but it's gotta be the right deal. We need something worth while back and no long term anchors.

I liked the Teravainen for Carolina.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
If Det is 100% commited to a rebuild....SJ and Wash are two of the teams most desperate for cap space

To Det
Paul Martin and SJ 1st
To SJ
Low level cheap prospect and 6th or 7th round pick

To Det
Orpik and Wash 1st
To Wash
Low level cheap prospect and 6 or 7th round pick

Last edited:
Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ad

Upcoming events