would crosby be as good playing in the whl or the ohl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelholtz

Aug 16, 2003
some say the q is little weaker than the dub or the 'o'? i think he would still be a premier player in any league really but i am just curious to what everybody else thinks

RoyIsALegend*

Odd, this is a question I was debating about with my cousins today during the WJC game. A fair number of them seem to think that Sidney Crosby would dominate whether he was playing in the QMJHL, WHL, OHL, NCAA or whatever the hell junior league you want to put there.

I, on the other hand, am of the opinion that Crosby would still lead each league in points, but he would have a harder time in the WHL as opposed to the OHL. The OHL is a good league with a lot of promising young players, but the emphasis is still on skating, offense and skill. Out west, it's all about whether you can take repeated abuse along the boards, and be able to be effective with relentless checking on you. In my opinion, Crosby would still lead the WHL in scoring, but I don't think he'd have anything more than a 20-25 point lead over the likes of Fehr, Yellow Horn, Stone, or Brule.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Absolutely his production would go down.

Everyone knows the talent is in the West. Look at the Russia Selects tournament, heck, look at the World Juniors..

BCCHL inactive

Bergeron47 said:
Absolutely his production would go down.

Everyone knows the talent is in the West. Look at the Russia Selects tournament, heck, look at the World Juniors..

I agree that his point total might be lower than it is in Quebec, but he would still be by far and wide the best player in the league.

It's unfair to use the Russian Selects series because Quebec lost in shootouts as they played 2 games without Sidney Crosby.

Yes, look at the World Juniors. He is Canada's best player in North Dakota....on a team full of WHL players.

Evman*

He wouldn't get the same amount of points, but he would still get the same number of points in proportion to everyone else.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Evman said:
He wouldn't get the same amount of points, but he would still get the same number of points in proportion to everyone else.
What he said. He would be just as good as a player, just less points, as the dub is tougher to score in.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Also consider that on Rimouski, Crosby is pretty much the only noteworthy player. If he were playing alongside Perry, he could potentially have even more points than he has right now in the Q.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
kmad said:
Also consider that on Rimouski, Crosby is pretty much the only noteworthy player. If he were playing alongside Perry, he could potentially have even more points than he has right now in the Q.
Not totally true.
Dany Roussin is a good Panthers prospect.
Marc-Antoine Poilloit is a first round pick of the Oilers, very good player.
Although I see your point, if Crosby played with another dominant player, he would be that much better. But Rimouski does have a few other weapons.

HfxMoose

Nov 17, 2003
Halifax, Nova Scotia
kmad said:
This is true. Maybe if he was playing in the Dub he would have even more points because the WHL has stronger teams and better players.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
kmad said:

Pouliot is great, but he's a natural center, so is Crosby. So they don't really play togheter. Roussin is alright but nothing to write home about. Charette is a good rookie but he's never playing with Crosby. There's many that Crosby played with Tobin and Hrdel! WTF! So, overall, if he played for someone else, and at center; his point total tould be greater there's no doubt about it.

X-SHARKIE

Crosby thrives on physical play down low and is incredibally strong and his drive to get threw the rough stuff is amazing. He could handle the big defenseman in the DUb IMO without any question.

Now throw a guy like Danny Roussin to the WHL without Crosby and then before you know it Panthers fans would wipe him off their radar.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
X-SHARKIE said:
Crosby thrives on physical play down low and is incredibally strong and his drive to get threw the rough stuff is amazing. He could handle the big defenseman in the DUb IMO without any question.

Now throw a guy like Danny Roussin to the WHL without Crosby and then before you know it Panthers fans would wipe him off their radar.

Crosby would still be good ...but he offensive stats would be much less .. He still would lead the WHL league in scoring at the end of the season but he would need a full season to break the 100 point mark not 1/2 in the Q IMO..

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
He'd score just as many points in the O if not more. The idea that the O is competent defensively right now is a joke, it's worse than the Q in that respect. In the Dub he'd have less points but still be leading it by a healthy margin. His PPG would be maybe 0.25 lower or perhaps less.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Crosby, on a typical OHL team (not the London Knights) would probably put up around 130 points. It would be a close scoring race between Crosby and Perry, not because Perry is at Crosby's level, but because Perry plays with Dylan Hunter and Rob Schremp. The O is a better defensive league than the Q but still doesn't compare to the WHL.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I dont know whether people just choose to ignore the goals/game of each league but the OHL is scoring more than the QMJHL this year and the WHL is just slightly behind the QMJHL.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Andrew_11 said:
Crosby, on a typical OHL team (not the London Knights) would probably put up around 130 points. It would be a close scoring race between Crosby and Perry, not because Perry is at Crosby's level, but because Perry plays with Dylan Hunter and Rob Schremp. The O is a better defensive league than the Q but still doesn't compare to the WHL.

Are you kidding me? If Crosby played in the London Knights he would be with Dylan Hunter and Corey Perry, and I think that Crosby would have maybe a 160-170 points season. Playing in the best team in the CHL and with such linemates would boost his point totals.

In the WHL, with some decent linemates, he would put up 130-140 points.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
markov` said:
Are you kidding me? If Crosby played in the London Knights he would be with Dylan Hunter and Corey Perry, and I think that Crosby would have maybe a 160-170 points season. Playing in the best team in the CHL and with such linemates would boost his point totals.

In the WHL, with some decent linemates, he would put up 130-140 points.

I agree

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
The other thing I think you will find is that he will be back to 3 pts a game when he returns to the Q and he will be playing center.Let me ask you guys from the west
and Ontario,are you not surprised at how complete his game is.What about his
play along the boards and his backchecking and forechecking?

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
La-La-Laprise said:
I dont know whether people just choose to ignore the goals/game of each league but the OHL is scoring more than the QMJHL this year and the WHL is just slightly behind the QMJHL.

Keep fighting the good fight, my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad