Would Chayka Have Drafted Strome?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Simple poll. Had Chayka replaced Maloney one year earlier, would he have drafted Dylan Strome?

Pro: Strome was the best player, full stop.
Con: Chayka's first pick - Clayton Keller - looks an awful lot like Mitch Marner.
Con: Chayka has drafted 9 defensemen in two drafts, he has clearly emphasized that, he would have taken Hanifin.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Yes*

You are confusing style for substance. Keller was extremely productive by any standard, so he represented good value at 7. Chayka drafts for value, not need. I don't know how you draw the conclusion that he'd take Hanifin, given that the D he drafts tend to be value picks or projects. And if I remember right, he personally advocated for Strome. Dylan, after all, belongs to a pretty special cohort if you look at the numbers. Marner too, but the scouts had a preference for the bigger guy that actually projects as a center.

*assuming DT doesn't trade the pick for Dougie Hamilton like he wanted.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I always thought Marner was the better player , both offensive and defensive..

I would assume Chayka would have thought the same ...

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Pretty sure xx is right, it was said post draft that Chayka wanted Strome.

Chayka always says a lot of things post though... I cant see anyone from the organization say anything differently.

I would suspect Chayka would have said we we wanted Strome by a "wide margin".

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Chayka doesn't come off to me as a puppet from what I can see. I bet he would have tanked sooner than FGMDM and drafted Eichel instead of Strome. So no I don't think Chayka would have drafted Strome if he was hired 1 year earlier.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
He is not in the poll but I think the player Chayka would have drafted was Provorov.

BigDoaner

Jun 2, 2015
I think Chayka would have traded the pick and moved back.

I wanted Move back and select Rantanen, but this isn't about me :/

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Some people like to speculate "what if" scenarios.

No different than discussing how Raanta's going to do this coming season or, what if we traded for this guy or for that guy.

What ever floats your boat.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think it is valid to think about a "What if?" b/c there were questions about who the target was (whether a prospect or NHLer, in the case of Hamilton). Because we have the ability to deal Strome at any time if we cared to, it would shed light on who may or may not have been in control of that selection.

Since it has been mentioned that we had been asking about Stepan for quite some time, maybe if we had been able to swing a deal for Stepan (or another equivalent C) before that draft, it may have led to a totally different decision with the #3 OA. Especially because we had a small read on Dvorak's development, and could have at least been justified in saying that we didn't need to go C if we had the idea that Dvorak was going to be our #2 of the future.

I still think we go Strome, given how things played out. But if we had locked up a #1 C prior to our pick, it would have changed the entire landscape and would have probably seen a different pick...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think it is valid to think about a "What if?" b/c there were questions about who the target was (whether a prospect or NHLer, in the case of Hamilton). Because we have the ability to deal Strome at any time if we cared to, it would shed light on who may or may not have been in control of that selection.

Since it has been mentioned that we had been asking about Stepan for quite some time, maybe if we had been able to swing a deal for Stepan (or another equivalent C) before that draft, it may have led to a totally different decision with the #3 OA. Especially because we had a small read on Dvorak's development, and could have at least been justified in saying that we didn't need to go C if we had the idea that Dvorak was going to be our #2 of the future.

I still think we go Strome, given how things played out. But if we had locked up a #1 C prior to our pick, it would have changed the entire landscape and would have probably seen a different pick...

I can day dream about better things than a "what if" hockey player or trade. Like I said, whatever floats your boat.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Actually, not to shift away from the original topic, what about discussing the following:
With all that we know now about the 2015 draft class, would you (or Chayka) still pick Strome at #3. If so, why? If not, who would you (or Chayka) pick instead

I realize it's still a bit early to logically discuss this, but that's how I kind of feel about this thread any way (and why I picked the oddest answer) :)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Yes*

You are confusing style for substance. Keller was extremely productive by any standard, so he represented good value at 7. Chayka drafts for value, not need. I don't know how you draw the conclusion that he'd take Hanifin, given that the D he drafts tend to be value picks or projects. And if I remember right, he personally advocated for Strome. Dylan, after all, belongs to a pretty special cohort if you look at the numbers. Marner too, but the scouts had a preference for the bigger guy that actually projects as a center.

*assuming DT doesn't trade the pick for Dougie Hamilton like he wanted.

Chayka might have made the trade for Hamilton. But who cares, we have Strome (for now anyway).

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
He is not in the poll but I think the player Chayka would have drafted was Provorov.

I tend to agree. He is always looking for some creative way to increase the value of his assets at the draft table or elsewhere.

I don't see how he could have drafted Provorov, that would have required getting some significant asset from Philadelphia or NJ (he would have been murdered if he used #3 on Prov). And I don't think Philly (Hanafin) or NJ (Strome) liked their guy at #3 that much more than Provorov / Zacha. But I can definitely see him dealing with CBJ, doing something like #3 + a decent asset (Stone/Murphy/MacInnis/etc) to CLB for #8 + Wennberg. I would be pretty sweet to have Wennberg + Werenski right about now, instead of what we got right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad