Speculation: Would Buffalo be interested in Zaitsev?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
So do some Saber fans actually think it would cost 1st+Sandin as a fee to trade Zaits??
2nd+Rasmussen is more than fair as a fee.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Your negotiation strategy sucks ..because you're selling something people don't want.
that doesn’t mean my negotiation strategy sucks.

the product im selling sucks, my negotiating matters not to what I am actually negotiating about.

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve heard yet.

Is Stan bowman a bad negotiator because he tried to get rid of Manning?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
that doesn’t mean my negotiation strategy sucks.

the product im selling sucks, my negotiating matters not to what I am actually negotiating about.

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve heard yet.

Is Stan bowman a bad negotiator because he tried to get rid of Manning?

You're kind of exhausting.

sansabri

a sea of troubles eh
Aug 12, 2005
'Here's a proposal done in bad faith. Whoa. Calm down. Don't you know how negotiations work???'

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
is he that bad defensively?

Quite. But my definition might be different than others.

If you expect your defenseman to at least touch an opponent if he's standing in front of the net/goalie, If you expect your defenseman to hit the player WHILE he has the puck instead of seconds after he chipped the puck, and therefore is now out of position while the other team creates a mini 2 on 1, then I would say we are on the same wavelength. If you think a defenseman should be able to track the puck while it is behind the net and consistently take the correct path to cutoff the player, then we think alike. If you expect your defenseman to be able to box out guys when a puck comes from the point and not allow their man to have 2-3 chances, then, I think we agree on what a good defenseman can do defensively.

In short, Risto shouldn't be asked to play a shutdown role to get the best out of him, and he is not a minute-eater, even though the coaches since Nolan have used him as such.

Reactions: Big Sugar

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
If Ottawas big 3 leave, they will be well below the cap floor.

Wonder if a deal around Zaitsev + Brown (6.6 cap hit) for Zack Smith + Condon (5.65) could work.
Leafs could also include MacArthur/Gaborik if his contract is uninsured to help the Melnyk cash concern.

Ottawa gets the best 2 players, Leafs get out of the longer term cap hit. Kind of similar to Phaneuf deal.

Smith is owed 9.75 or 3.25 per for 3 years as of July 2nd

Zaitsev 19.5 for 5 so 3.9 million cash per year as of July 2nd. If he is your 2nd pair guy that's about right cost wise if he regains a bit of form.

Brown is owed 1.6m as of July 2nd.

Condon (who is in the AHL currently) is owed 3m as of July 2nd, which is higher than his 2.5m cap hit.

Zaitsev and Browns cap hits are higher than the cash which is good for a floor team.

Condon cash is higher than hit which is hard for a cash team. Both Smith and Condon have been in the minors this year.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
leafs are so good we have an ECHL defenseman from Russia playing 20 minutes a night and still finish top 5 in the standings
No one is calling him an ECHL defenseman (that I've seen). He's an overpaid bottom pairing defenseman. Your team is top 5 in the standings because you have great forwards, a good goalie and a few good defenseman. Zaitsev playing 20 minutes a night is IMO Toronto's weakest link.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Way too much happening in these trades. Retaining on Zaitsev makes trading him redundant if the entire point of trading him is to lose his salary. Might as well buy him out if you need to retain and attach an asset.

I dare you...go buy him out ang get a $4M+ cap hit for the buy out in 19/20

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Where is this meme that Zaitsev is bad coming from? He's not exactly put in a position to shine but he's a good #4 when not overwhelmed with top pairing caliber assignments. No worse than Ceci or Braun

Reactions: Big Sugar

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Zaitsev has Andrew MacDonald syndrome. He's actually a good NHL dman, not great, but good, but because of his contract he's ragged on by his fans, and every single microcosm of poor play is made out to be a huge fault, and then that negativity spreads to other fanbases and the news spreads of his rot.
This is the most accurate depiction of Zaitsev ive read in a while.

The HF “hive mind” is on a new level with Zaitsev. Out of town fans are hearing the criticisms and immediately jump overboard. It’s gotten to the point where people act as if he is a #6 defenseman.

He is a below average #4 that is overpaid by about 1-1.5million. Issue is his term and the fact that TO can not afford to overpay for complimentary positions. Let’s not forget that Z leads the Leafs in hits, blocked shots, and is their go-to PKing d-man on a top ranked PK who once had a 36 point season. His mobility alone will draw interest.

Those who actually believe this guy has negative value to the point where TO will need to attach a 1st or 2nd round pick are in for a rude awakening. Remember the Matt Martin mantra around here (deep negative value)? Similar situation but blown further out of proportion.

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
This is the most accurate depiction of Zaitsev ive read in a while.

The HF “hive mind” is on a new level with Zaitsev. Out of town fans are hearing the criticisms and immediately jump overboard. It’s gotten to the point where people act as if he is a #6 defenseman.

He is a below average #4 that is overpaid by about 1-1.5million. Issue is his term and the fact that TO can not afford to overpay for complimentary positions. Let’s not forget that Z leads the Leafs in hits, blocked shots, and is their go-to PKing d-man on a top ranked PK who once had a 36 point season. His mobility alone will draw interest.

Those who actually believe this guy has negative value to the point where TO will need to attach a 1st or 2nd round pick are in for a rude awakening. Remember the Matt Martin mantra around here (deep negative value)? Similar situation but blown further out of proportion.
Ok. He's your for the remainder of his term.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The fact is if he was anything close to what you described and only overpaid by $1m in a top 4 defensive role he would have been dealt already.
I never said he was overpaid by anything. I have said that he is a good defenceman. Which he is.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
a 2nd+Rasmussen+Zaits for a 7th is more than fair and a team with space will take a deal like this

Of course... EVERY GM will jump on a low 2nd round pick and a career AHLer to take on that putrid contract!

Think Sandin or Liljegren. Any other pieces aren't gonna be good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->