Speculation: Would Buffalo be interested in Zaitsev?

Status
Not open for further replies.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
In the magic world of Toronto, you pay to get Toronto's unwanted garbage.

If you guys wanna get rid of Zaitsev, you gotta pay the price because no one's offering you free help so you can sign all of your superstars.

Something around Zaitsev and Kapanen/Johnson would be good, for a 4th or 5th round pick.

You're making up an argument that doesn't exist, yet the people of Toronto live in Magic World?

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Apologies if this has been said before...I didn't read all 10 pages of replies yet.

"Would Buffalo be interested in Zaitsev?" sort of implies two questions: 1) Would the fans like it? Does he do nothing but hit guys while bleeding shots and scoring chances against? If so, the fans who call radio shows will LOVE him. I've been around the internet long enough to know his stats are bad. So, the chattering classes will (correctly) not like him. 2) Would Buffalo management be interested in this player? God only knows (literally). What is his religion? He's Russian so he's probably not an evangelical. That's the only thing they seem to care about.

Uhhh what?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Of course it makes two teams to make a deal, sometimes three. Negitive value is something made up on this board. The first player I remember it being applied to was John-Michael Liles.

I've never heard the term amongst current and former NHL GMs, but I have heard them say the word "soft as fluffy feathers" in regards to JML.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
In the magic world of Toronto, you pay to get Toronto's unwanted garbage.

If you guys wanna get rid of Zaitsev, you gotta pay the price because no one's offering you free help so you can sign all of your superstars.

Something around Zaitsev and Kapanen/Johnson would be good, for a 4th or 5th round pick.

This is trolling.

Zaitsev is an NHLer and not a bum.

The term "would like to" applies to this season. "Have to" only applies to next season (October), and only if Marner is paid a ton of money and a deal for Nylander hasn't been solidified.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Some Buffalo fans are treating this rumor like a shipping barge full of Toronto's garbage waiting to landfill downtown Buffalo.

Zaitsev is fine. BUF could use him. Toronto could use him!

If BUF sees an opportunity here then great, but there's no way Zaitsev is a pennies to the dollar transaction.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Of course it makes two teams to make a deal, sometimes three. Negitive value is something made up on this board. The first player I remember it being applied to was John-Michael Liles.

Is it? Because from what I understand at least these guys ALL have negative value (try to trade them for assets):

- Alzner
- Spooner
- Manning
- Lucic
- Ladd
- Seabrook
- Zaitsev
- Abdelkader
- Backes
- Allen
- Darling
- Eriksson
- Jack Johnson

These are all players on top of my head as I’m sure there are more, that teams would beed to pay an incentive (give up a better asset than what is coming back) to complete a trade. Also, you may not understand it yet, but Zaitsev is DEFINITELY on that list and I’d say he’s pretty high on it too

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Some Buffalo fans are treating this rumor like a shipping barge full of Toronto's garbage waiting to landfill downtown Buffalo.

Zaitsev is fine. BUF could use him. Toronto could use him!

If BUF sees an opportunity here then great, but there's no way Zaitsev is a pennies to the dollar transaction.

Toronto needs a RHD. Toronto should totally acquire Bogosian because he’s an RHD, although Buffalo could still use him!

I think 2x 2nd (2019, 2020) is fair. If TOR sees an opportunity here then great, but there’s no way Bogosian is a pennies to the dollar transaction

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Is it? Because from what I understand at least these guys ALL have negative value (try to trade them for assets):

- Alzner
- Spooner
- Manning
- Lucic
- Ladd
- Seabrook
- Zaitsev
- Abdelkader
- Backes
- Allen
- Darling
- Eriksson
- Jack Johnson

These are all players on top of my head as I’m sure there are more, that teams would beed to pay an incentive (give up a better asset than what is coming back) to complete a trade. Also, you may not understand it yet, but Zaitsev is DEFINITELY on that list and I’d say he’s pretty high on it too
That is not correct. How can Zaitsev be there with some of those players. Zaitsev plays 20 minutes a game and kills penalties. He is younger faster and better than many of those players listed. He is in the wrong list. You have to put him with the player's that have value.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
That is not correct. How can Zaitsev be there with some of those players. Zaitsev plays 20 minutes a game and kills penalties. He is younger faster and better than many of those players listed. He is in the wrong list. You have to put him with the player's that have value.
Zaitsev plays 20 minutes a night because Toronto has Reilly and a bunch of trash for RD.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
If you could get a coffee for 10$, would you buy it, if it tastes about the same as all the other coffees available. Zaitsev is a 10$ coffee. Nobody buys that considering the alternatives.

Reactions: HogtownSabresfan

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
If you could get a coffee for 10$, would you buy it, if it tastes about the same as all the other coffees available. Zaitsev is a 10$ coffee. Nobody buys that considering the alternatives.
It depends if you know what you are tasting like wine or scotch or cigars. They could have got the beans from civit cat poor. A connoisseur would know it's kopi luwak.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

He's like a $10 Timmy's. Yech. I can't a bold for $2.50 at Starbucks

The3rd

Jun 20, 2018
Leafs trying to move the Zaitsev contract and not taking salary back. Won't fly with many other teams. If he is the guy the Leafs want to move so bad, they will have to get creative cause $4.5M for a bottom pairing D man for 5 more years hurts. He also has a 10 team no trade list.

He's not much better than Alzner IMO.
He can keep up with the play, he's much better than Alzner.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Leafs trdaed Phaneuf and Clarkson when HF tool us they could never be moved. Zaitsev is younger, cheaper. He can be moved.

Reactions: GBLeaf

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Toronto needs a RHD. Toronto should totally acquire Bogosian because he’s an RHD, although Buffalo could still use him!

I think 2x 2nd (2019, 2020) is fair. If TOR sees an opportunity here then great, but there’s no way Bogosian is a pennies to the dollar transaction

This contrarian view does nothing in terms of eliciting an emotional response. It does however show a real anxiousness for BUF's fanbase.

The3rd

Jun 20, 2018
I agree, but his value is hurt a bit based on the term of his contract...If it was a 2 year deal he would retrieve a B level prospect or an upper mid-round pick at the deadline. The Leafs wouldn't even be shopping him if this was the case until after the season. With his term it will be a challenge for sure, but they'll find a taker I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad