Speculation: Would Buffalo be interested in Zaitsev?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
It takes two teams to make a deal...

Zaitsev has negative value at the moment and cap space is worth a lot
Of course it makes two teams to make a deal, sometimes three. Negitive value is something made up on this board. The first player I remember it being applied to was John-Michael Liles.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Apologies if this has been said before...I didn't read all 10 pages of replies yet.

"Would Buffalo be interested in Zaitsev?" sort of implies two questions: 1) Would the fans like it? Does he do nothing but hit guys while bleeding shots and scoring chances against? If so, the fans who call radio shows will LOVE him. I've been around the internet long enough to know his stats are bad. So, the chattering classes will (correctly) not like him. 2) Would Buffalo management be interested in this player? God only knows (literally). What is his religion? He's Russian so he's probably not an evangelical. That's the only thing they seem to care about.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Of course it makes two teams to make a deal, sometimes three. Negitive value is something made up on this board. The first player I remember it being applied to was John-Michael Liles.

You think negative value is a made up concept? Negative value just means that nobody would take the player for free. That is, you would have to GIVE up assets to move him.

And I guarantee you if the Leafs put Zaitsev on waivers nobody is claiming him.

Reactions: powerstuck

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yes, I think negative value was made up for the board. Lots of teams would take Zaitsev and you cannot guarantee that no team would take him on waivers.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Yes, I think negative value was made up for the board. Lots of teams would take Zaitsev and you cannot guarantee that no team would take him on waivers.

So you think Milan Lucic does not have negative value?

And you can't guarantee many things in life...but Zaitsev not getting claimed on waivers? Yeah that's pretty much a sure thing. It's a bad contract.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
So you think Milan Lucic does not have negative value?

And you can't guarantee many things in life...but Zaitsev not getting claimed on waivers? Yeah that's pretty much a sure thing. It's a bad contract.
No, I don't think he has negative value. As for Zaitsev, the contract, I agree, doesn't meet the expectations the team had when he signed it. But, it is not as horrible as people make it out to be.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
No, I don't think he has negative value. As for Zaitsev, the contract, I agree, doesn't meet the expectations the team had when he signed it. But, it is not as horrible as people make it out to be.

Okay you simply don’t know what you’re talking about then...not even trying to be rude here but you don’t understand basic concepts well enough to even have a discussion with

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Okay you simply don’t know what you’re talking about then...not even trying to be rude here but you don’t understand basic concepts well enough to even have a discussion with
No, that would be you.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

So I guess all the players that have been bought out over the years is made up because teams would rather pay players for nothing instead of just trading them to a different team for a 7th?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
So I guess all the players that have been bought out over the years is made up because teams would rather pay players for nothing instead of just trading them to a different team for a 7th?
That is your guess. It's as good as any.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Leafs trying to move the Zaitsev contract and not taking salary back. Won't fly with many other teams. If he is the guy the Leafs want to move so bad, they will have to get creative cause $4.5M for a bottom pairing D man for 5 more years hurts. He also has a 10 team no trade list.

He's not much better than Alzner IMO.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Leafs trying to move the Zaitsev contract and not taking salary back. Won't fly with many other teams. If he is the guy the Leafs want to move so bad, they will have to get creative cause $4.5M for a bottom pairing D man for 5 more years hurts. He also has a 10 team no trade list.

Right now I would not trade Alzner to acquire him. I would rather keep A;zner for 3 more years buried in Laval than Zaitsev for 5.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Why would Buffalo do that. Zaitsev has 5 more years. Bogo and Sobotka are done after next year.

Bogosian has had mostly a decent season. He's RD too. He's 100% tradeable. One year left. We eat $2 M and we'd get real value. Sobotka can't be moved for a bunch of pucks.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

We have no idea if the Leafs want to move him. Some fans do though.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

It's absolutely not. There are plenty of examples of teams giving up assets to get someone to take a cap dump from them. See, e.g., Chicago giving away Teravainen to shed 1 year of Stu Bickell; New Jersey getting a 2nd for taking Marc Savard.

Reactions: powerstuck

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
In the magic world of Toronto, you pay to get Toronto's unwanted garbage.

If you guys wanna get rid of Zaitsev, you gotta pay the price because no one's offering you free help so you can sign all of your superstars.

Something around Zaitsev and Kapanen/Johnson would be good, for a 4th or 5th round pick.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
How the heck did Zaitsev get a 5+ year contract? No way from Buffalo.

Besides, TML have a knack for making ridiculous contracts dispensary. I'm sure Zaitsev will develop and allergic reaction to his stick tape and have to go out on LTIR soon enough.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
It's absolutely not. There are plenty of examples of teams giving up assets to get someone to take a cap dump from them. See, e.g., Chicago giving away Teravainen to shed 1 year of Stu Bickell; New Jersey getting a 2nd for taking Marc Savard.
Yeah, New Jersey got Mark Savard's contract he hadn't played hockey for 5 years and a second. Florida got Graham Black and Paul Thompson. Chicago was in cap trouble and Teravainen was a bit of a risk scoring 2 assists in 25 NHL games spending most of his time in the AHL. Yes, the potential was there. The Hawks also got 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad