Sportsnet: Would Babcock move Marner to another line?

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
If I had to guess I think he must owe Marleau some loyalty for him being a veteran or that's why he gives him the benefit of the doubt and keeps giving him regular minutes.

Bit of nepotism goin on there. Probably an agreement that he won't ever be shamed by a 4th line role.

Or maybe Babs has an honour code he is upholding for a fellow oldie.
Truth is... I feel like he NEEDS to explain this because he is not putting LOGO first with this thinking. Marleau kills most of the play when he is on.
Brown the exact same.

Really makes it hard to see him as the guy to lead us to the cup sometimes.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Bit of nepotism goin on there. Probably an agreement that he won't ever be shamed by a 4th line role.

Or maybe Babs has an honour code he is upholding for a fellow oldie.
Truth is... I feel like he NEEDS to explain this because he is not putting LOGO first with this thinking. Marleau kills most of the play when he is on.
Brown the exact same.

Really makes it hard to see him as the guy to lead us to the cup sometimes.
Maybe I'm wrong but wasn't it speculated that when Marleau signed he would be on the same line with Matthews? We know that never happened. At least that's what I remember hearing and why he left San Jose after 19 years, although I guess it was more due to the 3rd year of his contract that Lou Lamoriello was offering him.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I don't want to see Marner off of JT's wing BUT, I would love to see him thrown out there on Matthews wing once in a while in an icing scenario or like, the last 30 seconds in a period for an offensive zone faceoff. Basically, anytime that is highly advantageous to us that won't distort the lines much. He's 21, he can handle being double shifted here and there.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
We've seen the line blender before.

He's going to need to be quick & sharp in game 5 if things aren't working

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
So let's see. We have played the best line in hockey to a standstill with our own top line, so should we then try moving the player that drives that success to a different line?

Let's put it another way. Our top line was so good against theirs that the Bruins felt like they needed to move Pastrnak away from that unit, so we should take apart that top line to copy them?

Sometimes I think Kypreos is actually attempting to come up with the most horrendous takes possible.

If Babcock were to touch the top line I think the only thing that makes sense is to reunite Hyman-Matthews-Nylander.

Replace Hyman with Johnsson on the top line. Drop Kap to the third line and hope it can at least be a shutdown line.

The issue with that is that Johnsson has not been very good defensively and could ruin how they're containing the Bergeron line.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
So let's see. We have played the best line in hockey to a standstill with our own top line, so should we then try moving the player that drives that success to a different line?

Let's put it another way. Our top line was so good against theirs that the Bruins felt like they needed to move Pastrnak away from that unit, so we should take apart that top line to copy them?

Sometimes I think Kypreos is actually attempting to come up with the most horrendous takes possible.

Hopefully it's contrived. But after taking a closer gander at his haircut the other night, I think he's cutting his own hair and likely can't be held responsible for his opinions, the big lug. :rolleyes:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I wouldnt mind these lines o ly if we need to get a big goal or something

Hyman-Matthews-Kap
AJ-Tavares-Moore
Ennis-Nylander-Marner
Marleau-Goat-Brown

Otherwise keep the same lines and beat down the Bruins.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Matthews-Tavares-Nylander was a thing for a shift or two after a PK this season and I think they scored once. I think we saw Marner-Matthews-Nylander once last year when a Florida game got out of hand.

I'd be down for trying any 3 of the big 4 together for a period and see what happens.

Marner-Matthews-Nylander
Matthews-Tavares-Nylander
Marner-Tavares-Nylander
Matthews-Tavares-Marner

Give me any one of those for more than a shift and try it out.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Babcock knows lines won't work without even trying them. He knows a "gud pro" when he sees one.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

just getting his "Dreger" on

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Since Babcock already plays Marner on the penalty kill, do you really think he would double shift him with Nylander? Hell in Game 3 late in the 3rd Babcock sent out Gauthier instead of Nylander for an offensive zone faceoff, which the Bruins won and Andersen made that save with the nob of his stick.
LeaFlandic heads would explode after comparing TOI for Toronto forwards:eek:

Reactions: LeafsNation75

horner

May 22, 2007
It's a good take. I'm not an expert but analyzing our lines, Tavares and Bergeron lines are cancelling each other out, Matthews line is doing well, Nylander's line is completely dominating but can't score. We have defensive depth in brown, Marleau, Moore, Kapanen. Not for the full game but it makes sense to throw Marner on another line for a couple shifts just to mix things up because we have the defensive depth to replace Marner's defensive abilities on the top line. I only say this because we lost Kadri. If we had Kadri we don't need to get creative.
I would double shift a one or two times a period .
I would also slide Moore in with nylander , a shift or two a period.
Moore needs more than 7 minutes a game.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
Our first line should not be changed, just another hot take. There are so many talking heads in Toronto that some feel the need to say crazy things so they can stand out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad