Proposal: Would any team take the Lucic contract for multiple picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
A month ago I suggested Lucic for Seabrook straight up (both need to waive)
Watching every Hawk game I disagree with rumors of Seabrook's demise. In fact the Hawk revival seems to coincide with Seabrook returning to the 1st pairing (with Keith) albeit with limited minutes but he is still very good 10 to 15 minutes a night. He is no longer a top pair minute eater but many are claiming he is no better than 3rd pair or press box right now and that is not true.

He is a good guy to bring in while grooming several younger D-men. Would be the perfect tutor as a 2nd pair for a year or 2 then 3rd pair or press box in the end.
The Hawks take Lucic who either plays on the 4th line or sits as unlike Seabrook Lucic has little/no value right now.
The Oilers eat an extra year (could retain 500k to make contracts even) but get an actual NHL player for 3 or 4 years.
The Hawks are stuck with a guy who really can't play in the NHL anymore but get out from the contract (except the retained portion) a year earlier and still have Keith to work with the kids.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Now I haven't read all the pages but is the OP suggesting that someone take Lucic's contract AND will get a bunch of picks for doing so with nothing going back? That may be worth considering...

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
IF ottawa signs nobody I can see them taking Lucic and a 2nd along with salary for nothing in return.
They may need to add players just to add salary, BUT Lucic has a NMC so ....... fat chance

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs could be interested.

Lucic (no retention)
2019-1st
2020-1st
Pool party

For

Grubs
Ghetto
Bourque
Neito

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
:habs

Karl Alzner
Charles Hudon
Jake Evans
3rd round pick

:edmonton

Milan Lucic
Brandon Manning
Jesse Puljujarvi
1st round pick

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I'd want a roster player that filled a need who had term and a first with Lucic at 50% retention for a cap dump.

Sounds horrible but I think that's the cost that would get it done.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
This is where I'm at. He's got 4 more years of that god awful contract after this season. If Edmonton wants him gone without retention then there's a steep price to pay.

One thing that either amazes me or amuses me how some oilers fans believe that on July 2nd after his signing bonus is paid it could help his value. He still has out standing 8.5 in bonuses owed and 7.5 in actual money owed. I watched the last few games and lucic is a borderline nhler at this point. What amazes me that if on July 15th if he is bought out the team buying him out only saves 2.5 in cap space with the cap hit spread out over 8 years

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
1st and a prospect with lucic attached I'd take on sens. Idk who you would want back tho.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Pens had to pay Sheary with Hunwick to rid them of him. Let that sink in. The Pens got a 4th in return.

Edmonton will have to lose a 1st or a pretty good player to tag along to eat that contract.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I doubt many teams would take on that kind of salary unless it was a ridiculous return. At some point you have to convince your owner that a draft pick or two is worth millions and millions of dollars long term. Top 10 picks are the only thing close to a sure thing. We wouldn't pay that to move him.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
IF ottawa signs nobody I can see them taking Lucic and a 2nd along with salary for nothing in return.
They may need to add players just to add salary, BUT Lucic has a NMC so ....... fat chance
I could see Lucic waiving his no trade clause if everyone sees him as a handicap in Edmonton.

I don't think he wants to be a villain that actively hurts his team because of his contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad