Proposal: Would any team take the Lucic contract for multiple picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
Lets say Oilers were able to get

2nd for Chiasson
2nd for Kassian
3rd for Talbot
3rd for Petrovic
4th for Brodziak
4th for Gravel

Would you/any team take 6 draft picks to take on Lucics contract with no retention?

More? Less?

At what point does stacking a draft in a teams favor and increasing the odds of drafting stars worth taking on a bad contract of that magnitude?

Please be kind/gentle to me. This is my first thread here. Your responses couls crush me.
how about c.brown and Zaitsev and a 3rd for kassian and puljujarvi

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
After the Sens trade Stone and Duchene, Edmonton should offer them Lucic + 2019 1st for Ottawa 2019 2nd

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006

2nd for Chiasson
2nd for Kassian
3rd for Talbot
3rd for Petrovic
4th for Brodziak
4th for Gravel

Would you/any team take 6 draft picks to take on Lucics contract with no retention?

More? Less?

At what point does stacking a draft in a teams favor and increasing the odds of drafting stars worth taking on a bad contract of that magnitude?

Please be kind/gentle to me. This is my first thread here. Your responses couls crush me.

Possibly for better quality picks, not for a load of later round picks though.

counter

lucic, top 10 protected 1st (otherwise 1st /20), puljujarvi

for

tofolli at 50%

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
IF the Oilers were sending out two 2nd's two 3rd's and two 4th's (as the OP suggested) you would have to think many teams would take that. You could take those picks and probably parlay them into a nice haul.

John B

Nov 19, 2016

2nd for Chiasson
2nd for Kassian
3rd for Talbot
3rd for Petrovic
4th for Brodziak
4th for Gravel

More? Less?

I wouldn't for those picks. Quantity doesn't make up for quality. My biggest problem with the Lucic contract is the NMC. It will mean that he has to be on your roster (he can't be placed on waivers and therefor can not be sent to the minors) and he will use up a protection slot in the expansion draft.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
3rd for Chiasson
4th for Kassian
4th for Petrovic
5th for Brodziak
6th for Gravel

and no, that collection of mid picks doesnt come close to unloading Lucic

zona might take Puljujarvi for Lucic @ 4mil

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Did you think Brian Boyle was going to fetch a second? Because i didnt.

yes, because he got a 2nd last time.

Kassian is a winger who produces less. if the oilers could get a late 3rd they take it and run...most likely a 4th

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Trading Lucic will most likely end up setting Edmonton back further than it would to keep him. Unless some team is desperate to hit the cap floor you'll have to package him with a combination of picks and prospects which will leave you with cap room but with less decent assets which you desperately need.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

2nd for Chiasson
2nd for Kassian
3rd for Talbot
3rd for Petrovic
4th for Brodziak
4th for Gravel

More? Less?

Maybe your first instead of all those picks? Probably the same value? We could trade Shaw for a 2nd, and play Lucic on our 4th line. Or end up buying him out

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I wouldn't for those picks. Quantity doesn't make up for quality. My biggest problem with the Lucic contract is the NMC. It will mean that he has to be on your roster (he can't be placed on waivers and therefor can not be sent to the minors) and he will use up a protection slot in the expansion draft.

That’s the problem. He takes up a protection slot for expansion draft.

Just that in general is bad.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

BossyFan

Feb 16, 2019
The Oilers are not likely to get much for Lucic. He is definitely done and to pay him anything over a million would be a travesty. He could maybe land in Ottawa as part of their rebuilding stage. He might be valuable in the locker room but you sure wouldn't want to break the bank to get him. Perhaps a bag of pucks for him would work.

HairyCanary

Feb 16, 2019
The Oilers are not likely to get much for Lucic. He is definitely done and to pay him anything over a million would be a travesty. He could maybe land in Ottawa as part of their rebuilding stage. He might be valuable in the locker room but you sure wouldn't want to break the bank to get him. Perhaps a bag of pucks for him would work.

They won't get anything for him. He's pretty much like their owner - coasting on other people's mistakes (in his case, the city bending over backwards for a soon to be half-empty arena when McDavid leaves) and making bank.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Nobody is going to take that contract for those kinds of picks no matter the quantity. Now if you retain 50% then you'll probably get some takers since 3 mil for those picks at least seems more realistic for the situation but the odds of even that happening are still next to zero. I think Edmonton will have to hold on to him and hope that a compliance buyout is part of the next CBA.

It is possible but it would take all of these

* a rich team that doesn't care about $4-6m in real world cash
* a team just about to begin a rebuild that it expects to take 4+ years of tanking
* a team Lucic wants to go to.

I can't think of any.

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
This was debated in the Oil forum a few weeks back: specifically, what us Looch's "negative value"? Is it a 1st or 2nd round pick negative, or much more?

I argued that some desperate team with a dumb GM would take him, if not this year then next, if a 2nd round pick (a high one obviously) accompanied him but that argument didnt get a lot of love.
would you be happy if Edmonton traded for Lucic and all they got was a 2nd. If so I'll give you Loui Erikson and a 3rd for a 7th.

didn't think so.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Did you think Brian Boyle was going to fetch a second? Because i didnt.

Teams will pay for the players they want, in this case a depth character guy.

Last season I think like 6 first round picks and 4 second round picks were traded during all of February. It was a pretty active February.

Looking at like that tradeboard that TSN have up, there are so many players available that are good hockey players. If 10 rentals are moved, given the current market, I would be surprised if more than 2-3 of them ends up getting a good return.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I know this would never happen... but what about Neal of Lucic?? Both have bad contracts with same term. Neither are finding their way for their respective teams. They could use a fresh start.

I am taking the rivalry out of the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad