Speculation: Would a RFA accept a trade and sign for 1 year for a multiyear next season?

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
If a team proposed a trade for say Laine, Point or Conner, conditional on them accepting a 1 year contract this year in exchange for a multi-year contract next season in the range of their acceptance would the RFA agree to such terms.

Example: My Team the Carolina Hurricanes make a deal with the Jets for Laine but since the Canes are maxed out on Cap, they would give Laine say a 1 year 4 million contract with the idea of giving him a 5 year 10 million after the season, based on him fitting in with the team chemistry.

Would the league allow such a trade and promise?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If a team proposed a trade for say Laine, Point or Conner, conditional on them accepting a 1 year contract this year in exchange for a multi-year contract next season in the range of their acceptance would the RFA agree to such terms.

Example: My Team the Carolina Hurricanes make a deal with the Jets for Laine but since the Canes are maxed out on Cap, they would give Laine say a 1 year 4 million contract with the idea of giving him a 5 year 10 million after the season, based on him fitting in with the team chemistry.

I could be wrong, but I think side deals like that are technically not allowed in the NHL.

It would also obviously be a huge financial risk for the player as they'd be betting that they wouldn't get a serious injury or lose form this year.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Technically a bridge deal kind of is a short contract in hopeful anticipation of a following longer term contract, so there's that.

If you try to lock the follow-up contract's numbers from beforehand, it gets tricky, as the SPC states that the full contract agreed is in writing in the SPC, and the parties assure that there are no oral terms or promises or anything else. So the very least, it is completely unenforceable.

The League might say that because of the explicit wording in the SPC, such contract does not exist, but they can also say that such contract seems to exist to such extent that is a CBA 26.3 Circumvention. I think they would, in case there is practical cap circumvention happening by the artificially separated two contracts.

Don't tell the follow-up numbers in public too early, so.

Reactions: mikeyfan

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

To start with, I doubt Laine has any interest at all in only 4M. Even if the league allowed it, I can't imagine a player would go for it.... they are the one bearing the entire risk here, as the team has no actual obligation to sign that second contract.

Come to that I imagine every team in the league would be willing to take Laine for 1 year @ 4m if all they needed to do was cough up a vague "if it works out we'll sign you to a real contract next year" sort of promise

Reactions: mikeyfan

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Is the team going to say "Even if you blow out your knee or have a sucky season we are going to honor this agreement"?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The league would not allow such a promise. Teams and players cannot make agreements outside the bounds of a SPC.

The team/player are free to discuss an extension and even make representations they'd be willing to do such an extension. However no promises can be made--should the team or player change their mind before the extension is signed the other party has no recourse to attempt to enforce a previous agreement.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

No, that cannot happen.

A) It screws over the player if they do not play out to the best of their ability. Let's use your example of Laine, if he doesn't play to the best of his ability (much like last year), then the owner can easily back out of his deal. We may think that "a deal's a deal" but owners and GM's will do whatever they can to keep their team better and offering that "promised amount" could hurt them more than help.

B) That's what offer sheets are for. They are to be used when a GM is having trouble fitting a player in their salary cap. Any team with the space can offer sheet a player but the majority of teams that have cap space are rebuilding teams. No way in hell are they going to offer up 2/3/4 1st round picks that can be top 5 picks.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

Why would Laine accept a 1 year 4M deal for this season, regardless of what is promised to him?

Reactions: scholl

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

they wouldnt allow a contract like that but sure a promise you can walk back on is pretty much always allowed. aka no paper trail non enforceable basically nothing

doubt laine goes for it ,

but if you can convince him go for it

maybe you can get him for 4 mill the next year as well with a promise to bump him to 15 when you have the cap

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011

No agent worth their salt would allow their client to expose themselves to this kind of risk.

A wink-wink, nudge-nudge deal would be completely unenforceable if managenent reneged on the agreement and if the player's made a stink about it after getring screwed, they'd be revealing themselves to be operating outside of the terms of the CBA. That would be pretty bad for business.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
if he wants out of the peg he would do the trouba thing and not accept any they could match over any term thats over the quickest he could get out
There is no such number.

There MAY be a number that forces them to choose between Laine and Connor, but if Byfuglien is gone, that number doesn't likely exist either.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
There is no such number.

There MAY be a number that forces them to choose between Laine and Connor, but if Byfuglien is gone, that number doesn't likely exist either.
well the number if he wants out as fast as possible would be a 4 year sheet.

I agree and doubt there is an aav any team would realiatically go to that the jets dont match

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Prove what? The guy had over 50 points. I’d be floored if he doesn’t get a huge extension the minute they are allowed to. Clearly a handshake deal in place. The deal just makes no sense.
crap deal for the player tho. if he sucks the sharks are def going to forget about any deal.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
This really should get split into two parts:

Should the league allow it? If you read the language in the CBA, this would appear to be something that's not allowed. [Someone else can go find the article and paragraph for this.]

Would the league allow it? Well, the league isn't particularly interested in actually enforcing a number of cap-related items unless it's totally blatant and in-your-face, so ... yeah, it probably would allow it.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
This really should get split into two parts:

Should the league allow it? If you read the language in the CBA, this would appear to be something that's not allowed. [Someone else can go find the article and paragraph for this.]

Would the league allow it? Well, the league isn't particularly interested in actually enforcing a number of cap-related items unless it's totally blatant and in-your-face, so ... yeah, it probably would allow it.
they would have to have some recordings or paperwork released for the nhl to do anything.

before the league put in the courting period they had to pretend its totally normal a team and a player agreed to a long term contract the second fa opened when they werent allowed to talk to eachother .

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Pre arranging a contract is illegal

A 1 yr contract signed..can’t do an extension till January

This could be done by promises like with Leblanc

The players aren’t going to agree with something like a 2 yr $2Zm contract ehen thry are asking for a $6M+ long term contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->