Would a new NBA franchise have a higher chance of succeeding in Vancouver or Montreal?

Would the NBA be more successful in Montreal or Vancouver?

• Total voters

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
1. Montreal is like the inverse of Houston. If there's a Montreal NBA team, it's going to be owned by the Molson family. Not by official language in the lease agreement (that I'm aware of), but by simple common sense that has led to no one try to negotiate with the Rockets to sublease the arena; and why no one wanted to buy the Thrashers and negotiate with ASG to sublease the arena. So even if Molson isn't the principle owner, he's going to have to be at least a minority investor.

The Premier commented in 2018 that Molson "was open" to having an NBA team play in the arena. But Fertitta is "open" to an NHL team, so no idea what that really means.

Vancouver? No idea. I'd imagine the same kind of thing with the Canucks. He who controls the arena, controls the expansion bid.

2. I don't like to go hypothetically moving teams around because it happens so rarely.

3. I want the record to reflect that I think Montreal is way more likely than Vancouver; but I also think that Vegas will be an extremely serious contender to the point that if Molson isn't all-in, Montreal will lose to Vegas.

4. That being said... I think the hypothetical 2 West expansion teams, Minnesota moves East looks like this:

NW: SEA, PORT, GSW, SAC
PAC: LAL, LAC, VEG, PHX
MTN: DEN, UTAH, OKC, MEM
SW: SA, HOU, DAL, NO

MW: MIN, MIL, CHI, IND
NE: CLE, DET, TOR, BOS
ATL: NYK, BRK, PHI, WAS
SE: CHAR, ATL, ORL, MIA

4 games vs division (12)
3 games vs conference (36)
2 games with other conference (32)
4 games additional vs conference for TV/rivalry purposes: BOS-NYK, CHI-DET, GSW and SAC vs LAL and LAC; etc.
until we know Black Knight Sports' official position, Kev, they will be focused on HSK.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
until we know Black Knight Sports' official position, Kev, they will be focused on HSK.

The Knights lease the arena from its' owners: AEG (42.5%), MGM Resorts International (42.5%) and Bill Foley (15%). I can't find any indication that it is "Black Knights Sports and Entertainment" that owns the 15%; it appears to be Bill Foley.

So the arena can negotiate a lease with an NBA team as long as doing so doesn't violate its lease with the Knights. You have to think that AEG and MGMRI knew future NBA expansion was possible and sharing the venue with the Knights wouldn't be a problem.

Also, Foley has the AHL team, wanted a pro Lacrosse team to play in that arena. AND was looking for an MLS team before they settled on their expansion cities. The idea that Foley would not be a part of a Vegas NBA bid because he'd shy away from the price and "Sports Empire Status" pretty silly.

Especially when you consider the minority owners of Black Knights Sports and Entertainment are the Maloof Brothers, who owned the Houston Rockets, regretted selling to Leslie Alexander and bought the Sacramento Kings before the economy and Kings arena troubles forced them out (when they explored relocating the team to.... you guessed it, Las Vegas!)

An NBA team would require additional investors, which Vegas has plenty of. You could easily see BKSE, the Maloofs, and some high ups at MGM (like the CEO, who was a UNLV grad back when they were competing for the NCAA Title) going in on an NBA team.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The Knights lease the arena from its' owners: AEG (42.5%), MGM Resorts International (42.5%) and Bill Foley (15%). I can't find any indication that it is "Black Knights Sports and Entertainment" that owns the 15%; it appears to be Bill Foley.

So the arena can negotiate a lease with an NBA team as long as doing so doesn't violate its lease with the Knights. You have to think that AEG and MGMRI knew future NBA expansion was possible and sharing the venue with the Knights wouldn't be a problem.

Also, Foley has the AHL team, wanted a pro Lacrosse team to play in that arena. AND was looking for an MLS team before they settled on their expansion cities. The idea that Foley would not be a part of a Vegas NBA bid because he'd shy away from the price and "Sports Empire Status" pretty silly.

Especially when you consider the minority owners of Black Knights Sports and Entertainment are the Maloof Brothers, who owned the Houston Rockets, regretted selling to Leslie Alexander and bought the Sacramento Kings before the economy and Kings arena troubles forced them out (when they explored relocating the team to.... you guessed it, Las Vegas!)

An NBA team would require additional investors, which Vegas has plenty of. You could easily see BKSE, the Maloofs, and some high ups at MGM (like the CEO, who was a UNLV grad back when they were competing for the NCAA Title) going in on an NBA team.
Mandalay Bay, likely gets that bid, Kev..... but that is solely contingent... the reason we want to know BKSE's position, officially, is to avoid the conundrum that is Kansas City.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad