Would a Nets or Clippers Championship Make them More Popular than the Knicks or Lakers?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It'd take a lot for the Clippers to overtake the Lakers locally. A few years back, I went to a Staples Center doubleheader with the Clippers/Cavaliers and Lakers/Knicks (plus the Devils/Kings the night before). I expected there to be much more buzz for the first game since it was the height of the Chris Paul / Blake Griffin era and LeBron was in town. Meanwhile the Lakers were last in the Western Conference. But it was completely the opposite to my surprise. Also seemingly a lot of tourists as well as the Lakers are a name brand.

It'd take a (short) generation of new fans for the Clippers to wash off the stink of the Donald Sterling era. They were a gong show / punching bag locally for so many years. Unless the Clippers went on a dynasty run and the Lakers turned into the Dolan Knicks, I wouldn't foresee it happening any time soon.

Sep 19, 2008
stephen a is on first take these days talking about how the nets will never be as good as the knicks LUL

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Clippers have largely been irrelevant most of their time in LA. Lakers just have such a long history in the city and have pretty much been successful the entire time. Even if the Clippers won 17 championships they still wouldn't pass them.

As for the Nets.... I doubt it. They have been more successful than the Knicks in the last 20 years yet have never come close to surpassing them. So even winning a title wont help them IMO.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Clippers would need to win multiple championships in a row so the bandwagon fans come. Also they need to get a talent with the marketability of Kobe.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Clippers would need to win multiple championships in a row so the bandwagon fans come. Also they need to get a talent with the marketability of Kobe.
The clippers need an all time great to lead them to multiple championships for them to even be considered at the level of the Lakers.

Reactions: Voight

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Lob City could have brought a ton of fans in if they could have all stayed healthy and/or had some playoff success but neither of those happened I kind of doubt if they win championships with this group, they’ll get bandwagon fans. Kawhi isn’t a very marketable player.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Lob City could have brought a ton of fans in if they could have all stayed healthy and/or had some playoff success but neither of those happened I kind of doubt if they win championships with this group, they’ll get bandwagon fans. Kawhi isn’t a very marketable player.
i think lob city did bring in a ton of new fans

just think about all those kids who grew up during the lob city years which coincided with the lakers being stuck in the basement. same with new bball fans who got into the game during that time. clippers home games vs the lakers in the last few seasons actually feel like clippers home games and lakers fans aren't the overwhelming majority like in the past

they'll never overtake the lakers in terms of popularity unless they win like 10 titles in a row, but if they win a title this season and stay strong in the near future, i think we could finally start seeing people rocking clippers gear and those clippers home games against the lakers could see lakers fans reduced to a noticeable minority

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad