Worth Replacing Rusted Rivets?

Dreadnaut

Dec 31, 2011
London, UK
Hi folks,

So I snagged myself a bit of a bargain (or so I thought) - I got Ovechkin edition CCM Vector 10s in my exact size for £40 (about $60).

They are fine, other than the guy didnt take very good care of them and probably never aired them after use. They are hardly scratched (not much wear) but all the rivets are rusty when I took the foot bed out.

Is it worth going to my LHS and getting them all replaced (still very cheap to do all of them)?

Will I have to buy a new holder, or will the same one be ok? Right now the holder is firmly mounted and none of the rivets show any strain under my weight, but I want to preempt any deterioration. Will the punching out of the old rivets compromise the existing holder or outsole in any way? I imagine having a rusty rivet will eventually damage the outsole so thats another reason I want to change them.

Should I wait till they fail (which could be months/years/never happen as I wont play any more hockey till I go back to study next september....they might survive longer) or should I just not risk the rest of the book structure and replace them now?

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
Hi folks,

So I snagged myself a bit of a bargain (or so I thought) - I got Ovechkin edition CCM Vector 10s in my exact size for £40 (about $60).

They are fine, other than the guy didnt take very good care of them and probably never aired them after use. They are hardly scratched (not much wear) but all the rivets are rusty when I took the foot bed out.

Is it worth going to my LHS and getting them all replaced (still very cheap to do all of them)?

Will I have to buy a new holder, or will the same one be ok? Right now the holder is firmly mounted and none of the rivets show any strain under my weight, but I want to preempt any deterioration. Will the punching out of the old rivets compromise the existing holder or outsole in any way? I imagine having a rusty rivet will eventually damage the outsole so thats another reason I want to change them.

Should I wait till they fail (which could be months/years/never happen as I wont play any more hockey till I go back to study next september....they might survive longer) or should I just not risk the rest of the book structure and replace them now?

Get them replaced. Its a very simple process and pretty inexpensive. If the person knows anything about replacing rivets there will be no damage to the boot.

forbs02

Blergh
Jun 17, 2008
If the holder doesn't move at all when you pull/twist it the rivets should be fine. When they start to loosen up get them replaced. They won't just break off all at once, you will have more warning that they are loose. If you want to do it for peace of mind rivets are generally $1/each to get replaced. That depends on the shop though. The coppers are probably fine and won't need to be replaced.

Replacing rivets does not compromise the holder or outsole.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
I replace rivets at work (family owns a proshop) and replacing them definitely does not damage the boot/blade holder. Just make sure the guy doesn't punch them with too much pressure or the blade holder can get a little compressed, but even then, it's not really a big deal. If the person knows what he/she is doing then replacing them shouldn't take too long depending on how many they have to replace.

The reason why you should replace your rusted rivets is because over time they start to deteriorate and will end up falling out completely, leaving you with less support when you skate.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
How long should replacing all the rivets in a pair of skates take in actual working time? The pro-shop guy says he hasn't had that much experience (non-hockey market) and it might take him 2 days (I guess doing other stuff too?)?

Also, when I told him I needed an eyelet replaced he told me that was more of a convenience, and I told him I didn't want to tear the boot. Should I be worried?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
How long should replacing all the rivets in a pair of skates take in actual working time? The pro-shop guy says he hasn't had that much experience (non-hockey market) and it might take him 2 days (I guess doing other stuff too?)?

From a customer side of things, on my old pair of skates when I was trying to stretch out their life span, I've dropped my skates off at a shop and had around 6 rivets replaced and it took an hour and a half. This was total time I had to wait, which included them having to take care of what ever they had in the queue ahead of me.

Also, when I told him I needed an eyelet replaced he told me that was more of a convenience, and I told him I didn't want to tear the boot. Should I be worried?

From my experience limited experience, the eyelet most likely won't break, at least in the short term, but it sure as hell will stretch out over time. If you think about it, there's a reason they have eyelets in there.

IMHO, saying they're a convenience is like saying inflating the tires on your car is a convenience. Sure it'll work in he short term, but over time things are going to get messed up.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
With no other work ahead of it, I can re-rivet a pair of skates in 10 minutes. Granted, that's with a decade of experience but two days seems absurd.

I say do the eyelet too. If the hole in the skate stretches a new one won't sit quite as well.

FlyingDutchman

Aug 13, 2017
It's a must do if you want to avoid a tetanus shot. I took my skates out of storage this year and all the steel rivets were rusty. I then looked at the bottom of the pad and could see where the rivets were ripping it from under my feet. That was all I needed to see to get them changed out.

Besides, it's dirt cheap and quick to do. In fact, the place I took them to did them for free.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad