Worth buying a <$75 composite?

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
Compared to my Sherwood 5030 would an entry level composite like an X:20 or 4k help my game if I'm just starting to play?

Probably not, no. Cheaper one piece sticks aren't much lighter than wood sticks, and your shooting technique probably isn't good enough yet for you to benefit from a whippier stick.

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
Compared to my Sherwood 5030 would an entry level composite like an X:20 or 4k help my game if I'm just starting to play?

I loved my 5030, but I also used to have some cheaper composites that I enjoyed, like the SWD RM8. Still, the 5030 is probably better than most composites under ~100 (X:40, 6K) and if you're just starting out then it's a good enough stick. Just remember to wipe it off after every session or else the water will split the blade pretty quickly.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Probably not, no. Cheaper one piece sticks aren't much lighter than wood sticks, and your shooting technique probably isn't good enough yet for you to benefit from a whippier stick.
I would actually say that your average entry level, 85 flex composite is significantly stiffer than a Sherwood 5030, which is very whippy for a wood stick. And yeah, the 5030 is roughly the same weight as an entry level composite. I would definitely prefer a 5030 over an entry level composite, unless, as Jarick said, it's actually a higher end composite at a clearance price.

Last edited:

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga
I would actually say that your average entry level, 85 flex composite is significantly stiffer than a Sherwood 5030, which is very whippy for a wood stick. And yeah, the 5030 is roughly the same weight as an entry level composite. I would definitely prefer a 5030 over an entry level composite, unless, as Jarick said, it's actually a higher end composite at a clearance price.

I'm about to buy one to use playing inline. Will it hold up well on concrete

Thepandamancan

Jun 6, 2010

For roller on concrete, only an ABS blade will hold up to that kind of abuse. The wood will eventually just splinter and tear up. You'd have to get one of the new Reebok composite 4K OPS or a shaft/ABS blade combo.

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga
For roller on concrete, only an ABS blade will hold up to that kind of abuse. The wood will eventually just splinter and tear up. You'd have to get one of the new Reebok composite 4K OPS or a shaft/ABS blade combo.

I had a CCM v01 at one point with an ABS blade and it did hold up good. I'm still buying the Sherwood as a secondary stick. Those things are legendary

The Spicy Shrimp

Jul 7, 2010

I'll disagree about the 4k. I started on wood, a 5030 actually, and after three stick and puck sessions, the bottom started splintering through the tape. The 5030 was 30 bucks, the 4k was 50, and has lasted much much longer, so for durability it's a lot better to go with a cheap composite. Also, just leaning slightly on it produces a lot of flex, something wood sticks just don't have. I've taken a lot of poor form slappers with it and it hasn't broken yet, something I can't say for the cheapo wooden stick I started with, whose blade splintered and ultimately broke on the taper.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
if you are just starting you should stick with wood for a while. then buy NOS sticks at a big discount. the wood stick will give you a better feel for the puck and it's cheep.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

A pure composite or wood blade will be ruined literally within 5-10 minutes of being used on concrete. Like the above poster said, you need to look for ABS. Specifically, look for some type of ABS/wood/fiberglass combination blade. Not many composite sticks feature this type of blade. Off the top of my head, the only one that i've ever used was a Montreal composite and those are obviously hard to find now since they stopped making them. You're better off buying a decent-good composite shaft and just buying replacement blades. If you play a lot of roller hockey on concrete, your blade isn't going to last very long regardless. The combination ABS blades won't be ruined within minutes like wood or composite blades, but they still get wore down and quickly become too thin. I've been forced to change blades after only 5-7 sessions.

Waltah*

my 5030 is my backup still. i play ball hockey and recently put together a 2 piece stick under $70. 4K shaft and a 2k abs blade.....

havent touched the 5030 since. the snapshots and wirstshots i can release from my cheapo 2 piece have more velocity and speed then the 5030. hands down without a doubt in my mind.

i keep the 5030 around to mess with but im already in the process of putting more 2 pieces together. (i check ebay or other forums for deals)

abs blades rock for roller hockey though. they take some decent abuse.

kingscourt26

Jul 19, 2010
I got the Bauer X15 because my rink ran out of wood and I needed a stick for a same-day game. It was 54 bucks and I like it. Not as light as the pricier sticks and I've heard they are disposable but I don't have a great slap shot so I stick to wristers. This stick works perfectly fine for me.

Fleuryoutside29

Nov 3, 2009
My LHS has a big sale over the summer to get rid of all of last years stock. You check yours out. You might find a good deal on a much nicer stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->