Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ranking :

#1- Mika Zibanejad + 33rd OA in 2018 + 64th OA in 2018 is ----> Jacob Bernard-Docker

How would you rank these trade trees (starting from worse)

- Mark Stone is ----> Erik Brannstrom + Egor Sokolov

- Kyle Turris + 4th OA in 2019 + Shane Bowers (28th OA in 2017) + 63rd OA in 2019 is ----> Lassi Thomson

- Mike Hoffman + 126th OA in 2020 is ----> Philippe Daoust

- 7th OA in 2022 + 39th OA in 2022 + 2024 3rd round pick (OTT) is ----> 2024 1st round pick (BOS) + 2024 4th round pick (DET) + Donovan Sebrango

- 10th OA in 2021 is ----> Tyler Boucher

- Ryan Dzingel + 212th OA in 2019 + 76th OA in 2023 + 2024 7th round pick (OTT) + 25% retention on Murray AAV is ----> absolutely nothing

- Cody Ceci + 44th OA in 2023 + Ben Harpur + 2026 4th round pick (OTT) is ----> 2024 2nd round pick (WSH)

- 12th OA in 2023 + 2024 2nd round pick (WSH) + 2026 2nd round pick (OTT) is ----> Jakob Chychrun

- Evgenii Dadonov + 1st round pick (OTT) in 202?
is ----> 2022 3rd round pick (we used it on Travis Hamonic)

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
What about Dadonov + a 1st for Travis Hamonic?
Awful, too, we're debating degrees of separation at best here. I think what tips it to Turris for me is that the whole trade there was intentional. The first being included in the Dadonov tree is fair, but wasn't in the initial compensation. That feels more like an indictment on Dorion than on the trade itself.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
I just can't get over calling some of thes trade trees, when there's like, 1 or two branches so far.

A trade bush maybe?

Trade shrubbery?

A trade twig?

Reactions: bicboi64

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I just can't get over calling some of thes trade trees, when there's like, 1 or two branches so far.

A trade bush maybe?

Trade shrubbery?

A trade twig?
dufzg7j0GBep.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Relapsing

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
For me its Cody Ceci.

As good as Connor Brown was, what made PD think that Zaitsev would be a good acquisition? If TML, a young team that is trying to take the next few steps is willing to give up on him, why tf would PD think Zaitsev would do better here? We ended up getting a 2nd for Brown, and using a 2nd to pay to get rid of Zatisev.

Not the worst in terms of assets, but the logic of the trade was stupid

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
For me its Cody Ceci.

As good as Connor Brown was, what made PD think that Zaitsev would be a good acquisition? If TML, a young team that is trying to take the next few steps is willing to give up on him, why tf would PD think Zaitsev would do better here? We ended up getting a 2nd for Brown, and using a 2nd to pay to get rid of Zatisev.

Not the worst in terms of assets, but the logic of the trade was stupid
Uhhh.. Taking back zaitsev was the cost of shooting Cody Ceci to the moon and getting brown as the return.

• Wow
Reactions: Loach

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Uhhh.. Taking back zaitsev was the cost of shooting Cody Ceci to the moon and getting brown as the return.
But we could've let Ceci go for nothing. Like was Connor Brown really worth it to take on Zaitsev's albatross of a deal? Toronto only had to deal with one year of Ceci and then let him walk. We could've even done that. Just seemed like PD being trigger happy

Literally could've used that capspace so much more efficiently

Last edited:

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
But we could've let Ceci go for nothing. Like was Connor Brown really worth it to take on Zaitsev's albatross of a deal? Toronto only had to deal with one year of Ceci and then let him walk. We could've even done that. Just seemed like PD being trigger happy

I mean, I'm not arguing, but I remember how much everyone and their mother their wanted Ceci off this team ASAP.

Pd was notorious for sunk cost fallacy. Ceci was a sunk cost he got a return for VS nothing at all.

Not trying to rationalize dorios dumbass. Just seeing it from a different perspective.

Reactions: bicboi64

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It was for Nick Holden

Yes Dadonov was initially traded for Nick Holden and a 3rd round pick. Holden was a pretty decent bottom-pairing guy for 1 season but then fell off a cliff in the 2nd season and had to retire.

We traded that 3rd rounder to Vancouver for Travis Hamonic, since we didn't have a 4th! But no biggies, the Canucks used the pick to draft Elias Pettersson!
Holden was subsequently traded for a 3rd round pick, which I believe was then sent to Vancouver for... Hamonic....

Holden was not traded from Ottawa, he just retired after his contract expired.

Awful, too, we're debating degrees of separation at best here. I think what tips it to Turris for me is that the whole trade there was intentional. The first being included in the Dadonov tree is fair, but wasn't in the initial compensation. That feels more like an indictment on Dorion than on the trade itself.

Yeah I'm not looking at just the initial trades or even Dorion intentions, I'm trying to paint the picture with all the ramifications. The scarier part is these trades just became worse and worse over time. Thank Alfie we stopped the bleeding in November.

It was once again horrible pro scouting. Heck, they proclaimed Zaitsev as an elite defender?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I mean, I'm not arguing, but I remember how much everyone and their mother their wanted Ceci off this team ASAP.

Pd was notorious for sunk cost fallacy. Ceci was a sunk cost he got a return for VS nothing at all.

Not trying to rationalize dorios dumbass. Just seeing it from a different perspective.
I think it made some people feel a little crazy here, since it was implied they needed to do it to "get rid of" Ceci even though it was a cold hard fact that they could have just walked away from him. That shouldn't have ever entered the conversation since it's an indisputable fact that they could have gotten him off the team for free. It's an argument without any merit.

For some, taking on Zaitsev was worth it to get Brown. For others it was another wtf moment.

Imo it was comparable to the Phaneuf deal. You can see some reasoning behind the ideas, but the short term gains were quickly wiped out by the long term consequences.

Reactions: Relapsing

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Connor Brown was much better here than I ever would have imagined and maybe if they sold high on him it would have shifted the outcome of that deal to being a positive, but I'll re-iterate what I said when the trade was made, we didn't need Brown while this team was being gutted and it wasn't enough to offset having to trot out the corpse of Zaitsev night after night, especially next to what was supposed to be our franchise defenseman.

Despite the budget constraints this team had more than enough cap space to weaponize it in a positive way and instead we ended up with the Zaitsev/Stepan/Josh Brown's of the world. It was a missed opportunity at the time that was only amplified by Dorion trading away and/or whiffing on draft picks which has put the team in the position they are in now.

Reactions: DrEasy and bicboi64

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad