Worst Trade in the Doug Wilson Era

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
My thought on this is the Brian Campbell trade is the worst. He came in here and dazzled us. They talked about how good of friends he and Jumbo are. With Campbell playing this way, the trade pieces didn’t matter. He fit in spectacularly here. The fans were sold.
Then he bailed. All that dazzle was gone. That hurt.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
My thought on this is the Brian Campbell trade is the worst. He came in here and dazzled us. They talked about how good of friends he and Jumbo are. With Campbell playing this way, the trade pieces didn’t matter. He fit in spectacularly here. The fans were sold.
Then he bailed. All that dazzle was gone. That hurt.

I’m more pissed about the amount of “Business Decisions” he made in the playoffs. The guy put himself ahead of the team that paid a premium for him at the deadline for a potential cup run. I didn’t dislike that ginger for bailing, I disliked him for choosing not to take a hit to make a play. Selfish douche

Reactions: nabbyfan

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
This will be the hottest of hottest takes. It will annoy many of you for so many reasons and I can completely understand all of them, if raised.

With that being said... Kiprusoff for 2nd (Vlasic) was the worst trade Wilson made, imo. Not because of Vlasic, who has been a terrific servant of the club, or even the return value, but because we banked on the wrong guy who I think would have set us over the top during our peak years.

I am not going to criticise a 'go for it' trade at the deadline - most won't work out, but it's the home run move that - if it pays off - will be remembered. Also the assets moved are kinda meh quite often.

Kiprusoff had one uninspiring statistical season and we gave up on him. Sharks were terrific in that 2005-10 spell and, as much as I love Nabby as a franchise legend, Kipper was later a Vezina-quality no.1 - the one thing we missed. Missed opportunity, imo, and that's why it's the worst trade above all.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
This will be the hottest of hottest takes. It will annoy many of you for so many reasons and I can completely understand all of them, if raised.

With that being said... Kiprusoff for 2nd (Vlasic) was the worst trade Wilson made, imo. Not because of Vlasic, who has been a terrific servant of the club, or even the return value, but because we banked on the wrong guy who I think would have set us over the top during our peak years.

I am not going to criticise a 'go for it' trade at the deadline - most won't work out, but it's the home run move that - if it pays off - will be remembered. Also the assets moved are kinda meh quite often.

Kiprusoff had one uninspiring statistical season and we gave up on him. Sharks were terrific in that 2005-10 spell and, as much as I love Nabby as a franchise legend, Kipper was later a Vezina-quality no.1 - the one thing we missed. Missed opportunity, imo, and that's why it's the worst trade above all.

I absolutely love Nabby, but getting rid of Kipper was rough. TBF, though, we wasn't that good in teal, and really blossomed in Calgary.

I was also in the boat of keeping Toskala over Nabby, so what do I know about goalies lol

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
In hindsight maybe but at the time Heatley for Havlat was celebrated here. No one thought he could get out from under that Heatley contract. What happened to Havlat after the fact was almost comically unfortunate. When healthy (I know, rare), Havlat was pretty effective and fun to watch. No way do I blame DW for that trade.

Dany Heatley in the 2010-2011 season was my first introduction to the concept that a hockey player can score north of 60 points and still be bad. (Although looking back, his advanced stats don’t look as bad as I would’ve expected them to based on my eye test.)

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Ty Wishart?

One cannot evaluation DW's acquisitions without considering the ones he's made with 1st round draft picks. There's some real stinkers there with Ty being one of those. Total career NHL games for him is 1 game.

Sucks when a 1st rounder cannot not even make the 4th line.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Ty Wishart?

One cannot evaluation DW's acquisitions without considering the ones he's made with 1st round draft picks. There's some real stinkers there with Ty being one of those. Total career NHL games for him is 1 game.

Sucks when a 1st rounder cannot not even make the 4th line.

This thread asks about the worst trade in the Doug Wilson era. The only time Doug Wilson ever made a trade involving Ty Wishart, he robbed Tampa Bay blind for one of the best defensemen in the league.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
This thread asks about the worst trade in the Doug Wilson era. The only time Doug Wilson ever made a trade involving Ty Wishart, he robbed Tampa Bay blind for one of the best defensemen in the league.

Yes, you think I don't know that?

Ty Wishart was a trade with the Habs to move up in order to draft him. It counts.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yes, you think I don't know that?

Ty Wishart was a trade with the Habs to move up in order to draft him. It counts.

No it doesn’t. Drafting Wishart with that pick was a completely separate action from trading for the pick. While trading the 20th and 53rd pick for the 16th pick is a sub-optimal move in terms of value (that DW has made far too often in his career), it’s far from the worst trade he has ever made; if that were the worst trade that he had ever made in 16 years as a GM, we’d be a f***ing dynasty.

Beyond that, even if you want to pretend that the trade was player for player, he traded David Fischer and Mathieu Carle for Ty Wishart; an inconsequential swap of nobodies that is no different than the Wood for Meloche trade he recently made.

If we’re criticizing him based on draft pick trades, whether we’re properly assessing the value of the picks as picks when they were traded or pretending that their value is based on the player they became, the 18th overall (Mirco Mueller) for 20th overall (Anthony Mantha) and 58th overall (Tyler Bertuzzi) trade was far worse.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Dany Heatley in the 2010-2011 season was my first introduction to the concept that a hockey player can score north of 60 points and still be bad. (Although looking back, his advanced stats don’t look as bad as I would’ve expected them to based on my eye test.)
Wasn't that when he was on Jumbos wing with Marleau on the other side? That was a monster line. Dany was just the garbage man for Patty and Jumbo's dominance.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

That just doesn't approach the definition of a bad trade though. It's not a "hot take", it's just incorrect. Sharks got a high pick and turned it into a D-man that was good enough to be asked to play for the Canadian olympic team despite not being an offensive producer. That's more like a trade that worked out well for both parties. Probably one of the more even trades DW has ever participated in when looking back at it.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Wasn't that when he was on Jumbos wing with Marleau on the other side? That was a monster line. Dany was just the garbage man for Patty and Jumbo's dominance.

I think that was during his first season here in 09-10 when he potted 39 goals. It was crazy to see how much his skating ability declined in two seasons in SJ. Not sure if that was due to injuries or zero effort in the gym but he regressed immensely

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

That was his first season where he was still serviceable. 2010-2011 was his second season and he spent a large portion of that one with Clowe and Couture and really really struggled by my eye.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
That just doesn't approach the definition of a bad trade though. It's not a "hot take", it's just incorrect.

It's an opinion. It's mine. I truly believe Kipper became the franchise goalie that we never had and that having a goalie of his calibre would have been the difference maker in getting a Stanley cup during the years we had one of our most complete rosters elsewhere. It's not too hard, therefore, to fathom my logic as to why it was a "bad" trade, even if you don't agree with it, which is fine. As I stated before, it wasn't the value, it was the evaluation of what Kipper would become, which was a Vezina-winning franchise goalie. We gave up the wrong guy, which makes it a bad trade imo.

As an aside, implying something is "factually incorrect" is a pretty feeble attempt to counter an opinion presented on a message board. Try a little harder.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
That was his first season where he was still serviceable. 2010-2011 was his second season and he spent a large portion of that one with Clowe and Couture and really really struggled by my eye.
What a dreadfully slow line. No wonder. Yes he was terrible the 2nd year here but still seemed to pile up points. Truly one of the greatest garbage collectors I've ever watched.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
It's an opinion. It's mine. I truly believe Kipper became the franchise goalie that we never had and that having a goalie of his calibre would have been the difference maker in getting a Stanley cup during the years we had one of our most complete rosters elsewhere. It's not too hard, therefore, to fathom my logic as to why it was a "bad" trade, even if you don't agree with it, which is fine. As I stated before, it wasn't the value, it was the evaluation of what Kipper would become, which was a Vezina-winning franchise goalie. We gave up the wrong guy, which makes it a bad trade imo.

As an aside, implying something is "factually incorrect" is a pretty feeble attempt to counter an opinion presented on a message board. Try a little harder.
I didn't imply it I stated it. Nothing feeble about it, you just choose not to see the reality of the situation. Those teams were never a better goaltender away. Nabby never lost a series when the Sharks averaged more than 2 goals a game. That speaks to depth of scoring not goaltending. Before Kipper was traded he had his shot to be the starter and he face planted. The Sharks got a 2nd for him which seems like a lot at the time. The fact that both teams ended up with players they needed means the trade was win win. Looking at it at the time of the trade or in hindsight proves the same conclusion. Even trade.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yeah Guerin didn't really do much for us outside of that one hat-trick game against Chicago on national TV. Had 2 assists in 9 playoff games. It was almost as if he wasn't even there. Hurts even more knowing the Blues turned the pick into Perron, although as always no guarantee we pick the same guy.

Brian Campbell lit it up in the regular season after coming over in 2008 and then curiously fell off in the playoffs by a substantial amount, although that trade cost us Steve Bernier and a pick that would eventually become Tyler Ennis so I'm not too torn up about it.
Huh... I never knew about this one.

Yeah, that Campbell trade too is a tough one. Shitty value that turned out to suck for everyone.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don’t understand why people just assume a player or goalie is going to have the same sort of career if they’re not traded when they’re stuck behind others.

Reactions: Quid Pro Clowe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->