Worst Trade in CBJ Franchise History?

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
At least one or two trades are likely to happen this off-season. Which got me thinking: what's the worst trade this club has ever made?

Answer the poll, then back up your vote with a post. If you select Other, list what you thought was the worst trade in a posting.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Boy, so many to choose from!

Brass+ for Gaborik is probably the worst one. Since we only ended up getting like 50 games out of Gaborik, and Brass has solidified himself has a top line center in the NHL. Not only that, but we gave up Gaborik for peanuts. At least when we traded Carter we got JJ and Dano, who gave us Saad.

So I'd probably go with that one. Secondly, as you all know I would say, we will regret the Johansen trade IMO. Not that it should be listed here because I think Jones will be a fine player, but I think Johansen will be elite and will end up being a lopsided trade.

Clarkson for Horton sucks but we gave up nothing for something.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Boy, so many to choose from!

Brass+ for Gaborik is probably the worst one. Since we only ended up getting like 50 games out of Gaborik, and Brass has solidified himself has a top line center in the NHL. Not only that, but we gave up Gaborik for peanuts. At least when we traded Carter we got JJ and Dano, who gave us Saad.

So I'd probably go with that one. Secondly, as you all know I would say, we will regret the Johansen trade IMO. Not that it should be listed here because I think Jones will be a fine player, but I think Johansen will be elite and will end up being a lopsided trade.

Clarkson for Horton sucks but we gave up nothing for something.

I completely disagree. Whatever Brassard became in New York (a good second line center), he would have NEVER reached that here in Columbus. He didn't have the drive to succeed in a market like this.

We essentially gave up nothing and got nothing back in return, so it's a wash.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I completely disagree. Whatever Brassard became in New York (a good second line center), he would have NEVER reached that here in Columbus. He didn't have the drive to succeed in a market like this.

We essentially gave up nothing and got nothing back in return, so it's a wash.

I'm not disagreeing there, but the production is still the production. he was still a solid player here.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
My choice is the Clarkson/Horton trade, but I'm including the infuriating series of unforced errors that led up to that trade in my evaluation.

Beauchemin and Wright for Fedorov. Have hated that trade for 10 years.

Another good choice. That would have been bad even if Beauchemin hadn't suddenly turned into a top pairing defenseman.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Has to be Voracek IMO. Carte had just signed his lifetime deal to play in Philly and had personal issues already. So to think he would happily come over to Columbus during some short window when they could trade him was one of the dumbest things imaginable. Just simply no thought behind what they were doing. Then to give up a former 1st round pick who turned out to be an All-Star and another first rounder. Classic Jackets.

The Feds trade could have worked out IF Doug would have let Feds do his thing. But Feds called out Zherdev and Nash and Doug tried to put a muzzle on him. Granted Feds was well past his prime but he could have taught Nash and Z a lot if he was allowed to. In end it didn't work out and we gave up a guy who became a good dman.

Brassard I agree with other poster that he wasn't going to get it here. He did how own thing, started a revolt to get the coach fired and partied a bit too much. It was a good move for him, but he was doing his own thing here in Cbus.

But in all those moves it was the GM at the time tried to add the missing piece to get to average by adding a big name player who (usually) didn't fit.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Voracek trade. That trade set up the worst year in Blue Jackets franchise history (and that is saying something). This past year was frustrating but not to that level and there didn't even seem to be hope on the horizon back then as it appeared that everyone wanted to jump ship. That trade set the tone for a year of complete dysfunction.

Now it ended up working out with the drafting of Dano and the trade for Saad, but the whole Carter saga puts the Voracek trade at the top of my worst list.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This is interesting because you can take the trade in isolation, and at the time it was made -- or you can extrapolate, either based on what players have become, or what assets have been turned into, or both.

I have a weird feeling that Jake falls into that Brassard category of becoming more somewhere else than he would have here. I loved the kid, thought he'd be really good, but he was part of that generation here, and had some things to say about the org and town if I recall after he left. And Jagr was credited for getting him to take the next step. Still, that's gotta be the worst.

Except for maybe March 9, 2004, when the Jackets acquired Brian Holzinger from the Pens for... Lasse Pirjeta.

In terms of what players became, Glencross-for-Tarnstrom has to be one of the worst. Taken in isolation, it was a good trade IMO.

The saddest was trading Klesla to Arizona for Lepisto and Upshall, even though I liked both of those players.

If you're going to extrapolate future play, Mason for Leighton and a 3rd is bad. At the time, it was totally defensible.

In terms of asset management, the trade away of Gaborik to the Kings hurts bad.

My daughter's favorite player was at one time Kris Russell. We got her a jersey with his name and number for her birthday - late October 2011. Like two weeks later, he was traded.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Part of what made the Jake trade so bad, besides the obvious drama of Carter, was the fact that one of the pieces also turned out to be Couturier. I'd love to have both Jack and Couturier here, but who's to say who we would have taken with that pick.

One of my finest moments as a STH was being tethered to a blood drive machine beside FGMSH the very day after the trade. Gave him hell for it, lol. It was a really cool, open 20 conversation where he didn't seem all that pleased to have made the trade. Excited to get Carter, yes. Had hoped that Philly wanted almost ANY player but Voracek. He insisted that Philly made Jake the only acceptable choice.

Hipster Letestu

Aug 2, 2009
Westerville
Voracek trade. If we took any of the three guys that went 10-12 we would have had Sean Couturier, Dougie Hamilton or Jonas Brodin. That alone makes it awful even if Voracek hadn't improved to the level he's at now. Oddly enough we have three players from that year's second round on our team in Jenner, Saad, and Karlsson.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I couldn't really decide between the consequences of the Voracek trade or the consequences of the Clarkson trade. Ultimately went with the Clarkson trade because, as bad as things went with The Former #7, we eventually managed to bounce back from that. I don't think we'll ever get anything like that out of the Clarkson trade - not if the Gaborik scenario is any indication.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I couldn't really decide between the consequences of the Voracek trade or the consequences of the Clarkson trade. Ultimately went with the Clarkson trade because, as bad as things went with The Former #7, we eventually managed to bounce back from that. I don't think we'll ever get anything like that out of the Clarkson trade - not if the Gaborik scenario is any indication.

I'm sure the GM's involved had nothing to do with your decision? :sarcasm::laugh:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm sure the GM's involved had nothing to do with your decision? :sarcasm::laugh:
Only in the sense that one proved his ability to bounce back from bad deals while the other has so far demonstrated that he's utter crap at it. (See reference: "not if the Gaborik scenario is any indication")

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
This is interesting because you can take the trade in isolation, and at the time it was made -- or you can extrapolate, either based on what players have become, or what assets have been turned into, or both.

I have a weird feeling that Jake falls into that Brassard category of becoming more somewhere else than he would have here. I loved the kid, thought he'd be really good, but he was part of that generation here, and had some things to say about the org and town if I recall after he left. And Jagr was credited for getting him to take the next step. Still, that's gotta be the worst.

Except for maybe March 9, 2004, when the Jackets acquired Brian Holzinger from the Pens for... Lasse Pirjeta.

In terms of what players became, Glencross-for-Tarnstrom has to be one of the worst. Taken in isolation, it was a good trade IMO.

The saddest was trading Klesla to Arizona for Lepisto and Upshall, even though I liked both of those players.

If you're going to extrapolate future play, Mason for Leighton and a 3rd is bad. At the time, it was totally defensible.

In terms of asset management, the trade away of Gaborik to the Kings hurts bad.

My daughter's favorite player was at one time Kris Russell. We got her a jersey with his name and number for her birthday - late October 2011. Like two weeks later, he was traded.

My saddest was trading Chimera to the Capitals for Chris Clark and Milan Jurcina. At least Clark is still in our organization.

I don't think we would have had the money to pay BOTH Bobrovsky and Mason. I suspect we'll end up in a similar position with Korpisalo and Bob in a few years - one of them will have to go.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Clarkson trade is the worst, followed up by Voracek trade.

Why is Johansen for Jones an option? :shakehead

Because several posters have been carping about it the past few months. By getting zero votes so far, the poll illustrates that it is nowhere near as bad as other trades this organization has made.

Personally, I wouldn't rank that trade as one of the worst OR one of the best (upcoming thread - it's a long offseason)

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Because several posters have been carping about it the past few months. By getting zero votes so far, the poll illustrates that it is nowhere near as bad as other trades this organization has made.

Personally, I wouldn't rank that trade as one of the worst OR one of the best (upcoming thread - it's a long offseason)

It's way too early

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I'm not disagreeing there, but the production is still the production. he was still a solid player here.

Sure, but he was redundant (and still likely would be).

I will grant that the trade didn't make sense given where the team was. JD and JK had just gotten done saying they were building brick-by-brick from the backend out. They wanted a blue collar physical team that scored by committee. Then they immediately turned around and got Gaborik. Ok... This, by the way, is the hallmark mistake of a rookie GM but that's beside the point.

But the trade itself wasn't terrible. What made the trade bad was that we turned around and ditched Gaborik for even less than we gave up to get him.

That, IMHO, is currently the worst trade in Jackets history. It may seem like a minor TDL deal, but in reality the real loss of assets didn't occur until we dropped him at Port Columbus with a one-way ticket to LA. Despite playing injured, his production mirrored what he ended up producing in LA. We could have used him in the playoffs. We could have used him the next year. We could have actually gotten something of value for him. Gaborik was still playing and reports were that he was still amicable towards the team (even if JK and JD weren't towards him). Carter hated it here, essentially refused to play, and Howson STILL got Johnson and a 1st (Dano). That's some good recovery from a bad situation.

Instead we did none of that. Which makes the original trade look worse than it was. It'd be like if NYR turned around and gave Nash away for nothing, turning a decent hockey trade into a win for one team.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Only in the sense that one proved his ability to bounce back from bad deals while the other has so far demonstrated that he's utter crap at it. (See reference: "not if the Gaborik scenario is any indication")

Didn't Jarmo Kekäläinen by this 'logic' save the day by drafting Dano and trading for Saad or even Hartnell who are those top-6 wingers... After all he was quite hands on getting those particular guys to fill in the incredible vision left by trading someone with Voracek's talent.

After all that is the one pure hockey trade leading the polls.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Let's be fair. I just said essentially the same thing in my immediately proceeding post.

However, JK is/was a rookie GM. He has committed a number of rookie GM mistakes. Howson also went through a similar development. I think JK can eventually be better than Howson, but it's frustrating having to sit through all this again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->