TSN: Worst to first: How did Leafs turn things around in the shootout?

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
They did it through mathematics. Essentially, they regressed to the mean, and then went beyond it!!!

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
I think its mostly luck. Im on mobile so i cant check. Is there consistently good and bad shootout teams?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I heard yesterday on the radio that Andersen completely changed his approach to shootouts this season. Last year he studied each player and reacted to their tendencies. Apparently this year he is just going on instinct, no "studying".

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Are they scoring more on the shoot out, or are they (Andersen) giving up fewer?

I would guess the answer lies in there. :)

Reactions: Daisy Jane

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Bad luck good luck. Bad tending good tending. Last year was bad luck bad tending and this year is good and good.

Its just an outlier.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Feel like Babcock is using our best guys and Andersen improved immensely. Was awful last year and now this year he's one of the best.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Because every NHL player is capable of scoring a certain number of times out of a hundred during a one-on-one chance against NHL goaltending, these results are always going to fluctuate. That's also why I don't like it. It's artificial. And admittedly entertaining.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
while the shootout is almost all luck, i can buy that a goalie might be able to improve his performance.

Andy didn't just let in shootout goals by the bucketful last year, but looked godawful doing it. Like he didn't have a prayer of saving them. This year he looks far better on them.....even when he gets scored on this year it seems like he's actually getting beat by a good shot or deke, unlike last year when even his saves looked lucky.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The SO is pure luck with little skill and silly time (or circus time as some call it).

Might as well just flip a coin as its the same odds of winning or losing in the SO. Much like flipping a coin repetitively some times heads comes up numerous times in a row and some times its tails.

Thankfully this nonsense ends when the playoffs start, and that is what is most important thing about the SO.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Plenty of practice? In all seriousness, I have no idea how much luck can be reasonably attributed to it. I will say that these are points gained/lost in the chase to a playoff spot sometimes, so they are important if a team's regular season games result in enough of them. Happy to see us now on the positive side of things.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The SO is pure luck with little skill and silly time (or circus time as some call it).

Might as well just flip a coin as its the same odds of winning or losing in the SO. Much like flipping a coin repetitively some times heads comes up numerous times in a row and some times its tails.

Thankfully this nonsense ends when the playoffs start, and that is what is most important thing about the SO.
If it was a coin toss ... the team in 30th place would be just as likely to win as a team near the top. I doubt that is the case.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If it was a coin toss ... the team in 30th place would be just as likely to win as a team near the top. I doubt that is the case.

Any team can win on any night .. Leafs going from worst to first is an example using the same shooters and same goalie as last year shows just how volatile and much luck is involved.

SO is a gimmick that Bettman has instilled in the game to create parity in the standings so that more teams particularly weaker ones can stay in playoff races longer to keep up attendances in some markets.

The fact it is removed when the playoffs start shows its not considered a viable option to decide outcomes when the games really count and when Bettman can no longer protect his bad markets or weak teams any longer.

SO result are often referred to as the bonus loser point for the winner.

It more for entertaining non hockey fans that are not diehard or purist in the game.

Last edited:

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Anyone who understands variance in small sample sizes will understand that it's basically all luck. In fact, luck does not eclipse skill in team-to-team variation of point output until nearly a full season has been played. And the most leverage to the most luck is found in shootouts. Finally, shootout results from one season to the next are basically uncorrelated.

I f***ing hate the shootout because it regularly causes bad teams to make the playoffs & good teams to miss.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Being a good SO team and pilling up loser points in the standings might help in playoff positioning but its not really a sign of strong team to be good at an individual skills competition that goes away when the playoffs start.

Good strong teams should be pilling up regulation wins not relying on SO points. IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad