Worst team in NHL history?

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
[/B]
7) 43/44 Rangers 6-39-5

I bring up this team every time a thread like this is posted. They allowed 310 goals in 50 games! You really need to go to hockeydb.com and check their game-by-game results. A week after the 15-0 loss to Detroit mentioned elsewhere in this thread, they lost again to the Wings by a 12-2 score!!

Seven times they allowed double-figures in goals. The most they scored in one game was 9 goals... and lost to Boston 10-9!!!

Their 6 wins consisted of three 2-game winning streaks. They finished the season 0-17-4.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I bring up this team every time a thread like this is posted. They allowed 310 goals in 50 games! You really need to go to hockeydb.com and check their game-by-game results. A week after the 15-0 loss to Detroit mentioned elsewhere in this thread, they lost again to the Wings by a 12-2 score!!

Seven times they allowed double-figures in goals. The most they scored in one game was 9 goals... and lost to Boston 10-9!!!

Their 6 wins consisted of three 2-game winning streaks. They finished the season 0-17-4.

Combined with so many good players leaving the NHL to join the military, and I think this team could be the "winner" here, even over the Capitals.

Didn't the Rangers ask the NHL if they could suspend operations during WW2, and the NHL refused? Edit:

wikipedia said:
Prior to the 1938–39 season, the Montreal Maroons folded due to financial difficulties,[44] while the New York Americans suffered a similar fate prior to the 1942–43 season.[45] With the league reduced to six teams, the "Original Six" era began. The league was nearly reduced to five teams before the following season, as World War II had ravaged the rosters of many teams to such an extent that teams battled each other for players.[46] With only five returning players from the previous season, New York Rangers general manager Lester Patrick suggested suspending his team's play for the duration of the war but was persuaded otherwise.[46]

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Incredible really. How on earth did Frank Boucher manage to keep his job? Went on for years. :laugh:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Didn't the Rangers ask the NHL if they could suspend operations during WW2, and the NHL refused? Edit:

Yes, I believe Lester Patrick did suggest that the Rangers suspend play for 43/44 as they were decimated by enlistments, Canadian players who had to return to Canada ineligible & so on. Apparently Goaltending, as in finding solid netminders was also a problem, not only in NY but so too in Boston.

Last edited:

Bongo

Feb 7, 2007
Atlanta
I think special mention would have to go to the Atlanta Thrashers. Expansion team seasons for 10 years.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Why is this thread still going on? in both ponts % and SRS they are easily the worst team in nhl history. not close.

I think when you compare the 1975 Caps with the 1993 Sharks and Sens it is almost like choosing between liver or onions. They were all horrible, horrible teams.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Yes, I believe Lester Patrick did suggest that the Rangers suspend play for 43/44 as they were decimated by enlistments, Canadian players who had to return to Canada ineligible & so on. Apparently Goaltending, as in finding solid netminders was also a problem, not only in NY but so too in Boston.

Yes Rangers was hit badly. In three year span before 43-44 season Rangers had lost 28 players from their system to army.

Goalie trivia from that 43-44 season. Al Rollins did fight from the goalie spot in that years training camp. He was only 17 and was signed by Rangers but they went with Mccaulley. Rollins played the season in their farm club Rovers.

I guess I would go with Sharks or Senators of 92-93 just because I did see those teams. Allthough bit tempted to say Nordiques because they didn´t have any excuses (war,expansion etc.) for their lousy season (atleast I don´t know any).

doug hamilton

Feb 3, 2008
Including expansion teams on lists like this strikes me as unfair. Expansion teams are by definition going to be bad. You could assemble a collection of the greatest hockey minds around but if there's no real NHL calibre talent available then the results will still be crummy.

I'd prefer to see the first three or four seasons of a team's existence be declared off limits and then chose the candidates. By the fifth season the quality of the team's hockey management would show through.

That would give you post 1967 teams like the Seals in 1970-71 and 73-74, the 76-77 Red Wings, the 77-78 North Stars, 78-79 Rockies, 82-83 Penguins and Whalers, the 83-84 Penguins and Devils, 85-86 Red Wings, 89-90 Nordiques plus some Tampa Bay seasons in the late 90's.

Prior to the great expansion you'd still have the 30-31 Quakers, 43-44 Rangers, 50-51 Black Hawks, 53-54 Black Hawks, 61-62 Bruins.

All these teams were bad on merit more than circumstance, though I'd give the 43-44 Rangers a bit of wartime mulligan.

KHenry14

May 23, 2013
I saw those 73-74 Golden Seals, and they were TERRIBLE. Completely bereft of talent, save poor Reggie Leach and Gilles Meloche, they dealt with the team being abandoned by Charlie Finley and the league taking them over. They went 0-11-1 to end the season in front of a couple of hundred fans.

At least when the League took over the team the players could go back to wearing black skates again! :laugh:

thom

Mar 6, 2012
True story the 74-75 team was so brutel that Scotty Bowman benched Guy Lafleur for entire 3rd period and crowd in Washington booed for 10 minutes straight

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Including expansion teams on lists like this strikes me as unfair. Expansion teams are by definition going to be bad.

That would give you post 1967 teams like the Seals in 1970-71 and 73-74, the 76-77 Red Wings, the 77-78 North Stars, 78-79 Rockies, 82-83 Penguins and Whalers, the 83-84 Penguins and Devils, 85-86 Red Wings, 89-90 Nordiques plus some Tampa Bay seasons in the late 90's.

Prior to the great expansion you'd still have the 30-31 Quakers, 43-44 Rangers, 50-51 Black Hawks, 53-54 Black Hawks, 61-62 Bruins.

All these teams were bad on merit more than circumstance, though I'd give the 43-44 Rangers a bit of wartime mulligan.

Using this criteria then, don't forget the 80-81 Winnipeg Jets (9-57-14, 400 GA)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Using this criteria then, don't forget the 80-81 Winnipeg Jets (9-57-14, 400 GA)

Should teams in their first couple seasons after the move from the WHA be considered all that much different then an expansion team though? I mean the NHL basically gutted the teams in the merger.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Should teams in their first couple seasons after the move from the WHA be considered all that much different then an expansion team though? I mean the NHL basically gutted the teams in the merger.

Good point.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
how about the sharks first season?

didn't they go lose over 70 games?

What if Modano ended up on the Sharks roster after the Baldwin/Grund tradeoff???

As I recall the Stars drafted the missing Link in the 2nd round to allegedly protect Modano, yet Link ended up on the Sharks..

That whole fiasco was extremely weird...

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan

Yup. Jets lost their 1st and 4th best scorers (Kent Nilsson and Terry Ruskowski), a ton of their depth, and basically their entire blue line.

Plus, Bobby Hull and Anders Hedberg (basically their two best players in 77-78) either left or became ineffective.

The 77-78 Jets and the 79-80 Jets are basically different teams.

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
How about the 1975-76 Kansas City Scouts? After the defeated the California Golden Seals on December 28, 1975 to improve to a dreadful 11-21-4 record, the club would win 1 out of their last 44 games (1-35-8).

As for the 89-90 Nordiques, what were expectations that season? The club was coming off a rough 88-89 season, but they signed an old Guy Lafleur to a two year deal, still had Goulet and Stastny, plus a young Joe Sakic. The defense was brutal, they did have some decent guys back there (Fogarty, Jeff Brown, Petit, Wolanin, Leschyshyn, Finn). As for goaltending, were they counting on Mylnikov to step up? He was the Soviet starter in the 1987 Canada Cup, but he faltered pretty badly in Quebec.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Are the Buffalo Sabres the worst team in NHL history? (2ND EDITION!!!)

Last year's thread was tongue in cheek but this year I think we have a real shot at it.

Discuss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad