Worst Team Ever?

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Big Phil said:
The 89-90 Quebec Nordiques were horrendous. Hard to believe that Joe Sakic got 102 points that year but the next best was I think Guy Lafleur at like 34. Who did Joe pass to? Oh well a rotten team!

Peter Stastny and Michel Goulet were still with the Nords then, but near the end of their careers. Stastny had 62 points and Goulet had 45.

Yayo

Gou said:
I've found a winner:

In the Q, 1984-85 Plattsburgh Pioneers QMJHL,

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/qmjhl19701985.html

'In 1984, the league added its only ever American based team, the Plattsburgh Pioneers. The Pioneers tried to compete with mostly local talent. Competitive they were not. They played about 3 month without winning a game and folded. The league wiped out any record of their existence. Not only were future games wiped out but so were the past wins against them.'

Funny if the players that played for them were wiped out without any record of their extisence as well. :lol

Jacques Strappe

Feb 12, 2004
Halifax
Man said:
Funny if the players that played for them were wiped out without any record of their extisence as well. :lol

Yeah, insert X-Files music here.

Worst teams ever. The '68 - '04 Leafs (and counting):lol

Seriously, the 74-75 Caps hands down.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
jiggs 10 said:
Agreed, either the 74-75 Caps or the 03-04 Caps :joker: !

The 75 caps also have the dubious distinction of having the player with the worst +/- in NHL history, I forget what his name was (can you blame me?) I believe he was -75 in 80 games.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

It's truly bizarre (and yes, I'm bumping a nine-year-old thread and moving it to the History forum). The QMJHL website has EVERY game log all the way back to 1969-70. But nothing on Plattsburgh's entry. They just removed the games entirely.

The league didn't hold an expansion draft for the Pioneers, who were stuck with American-born players not good enough for Division I college hockey. These people deserve to be remembered, if for nothing else than their guts and determination against all odds.

Ralph has the team stats on his site, and I've got the goaltenders (Joel Kiers and Frank Currie) on my page - the advanced stats are there, but it's interesting to see how badly save percentage is battered by playing behind a truly-bad team (Currie comes out as 6.1 standard deviations below average :amazed: ).

I'd love to hear more Plattsburgh stories - there are some tales online, but nothing substantial (perhaps the QMJHL wants it that way :naughty: ). When you Google a major junior hockey league team, and the seventh result is this thread, that's saying something.

Heck, if you can tell me Frank Currie's birthdate and hometown, I'd settle for that. :laugh:

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
The 1995-96 London Knights had a record of 3-60-3, scoring 179 goals while letting in 435.

Another bad team was the 1987-88 Kingston Canadians, went 14-52-0, which included a league record 28 game losing streak.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
It's truly bizarre (and yes, I'm bumping a nine-year-old thread and moving it to the History forum). The QMJHL website has EVERY game log all the way back to 1969-70. But nothing on Plattsburgh's entry. They just removed the games entirely.

The league didn't hold an expansion draft for the Pioneers, who were stuck with American-born players not good enough for Division I college hockey. These people deserve to be remembered, if for nothing else than their guts and determination against all odds.

Ralph has the team stats on his site, and I've got the goaltenders (Joel Kiers and Frank Currie) on my page - the advanced stats are there, but it's interesting to see how badly save percentage is battered by playing behind a truly-bad team (Currie comes out as 6.1 standard deviations below average :amazed: ).

I'd love to hear more Plattsburgh stories - there are some tales online, but nothing substantial (perhaps the QMJHL wants it that way :naughty: ). When you Google a major junior hockey league team, and the seventh result is this thread, that's saying something.

Heck, if you can tell me Frank Currie's birthdate and hometown, I'd settle for that. :laugh:

He's from Holbrook, MA. Here's the entire Plattsburgh Pioneers roster with stats:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=6431&year0=1985&status=stats

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
The 1995-96 London Knights had a record of 3-60-3, scoring 179 goals while letting in 435.

London had an interesting roster that year:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0008141996.html

Two NHL-drafted goaltenders (and several drafted skaters), but not a single player even got to a single NHL game. I wonder what percentage of CHL rosters end up without a single NHL player (even for a cup of coffee)?

Another bad team was the 1987-88 Kingston Canadians, went 14-52-0, which included a league record 28 game losing streak.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0011501988.html

Scott Pearson was in his draft year this year, and ended up playing a few NHL seasons (although not what you'd expect from a sixth-overall). They also had ninth-overall selection Brian Fogarty returning to the team. Leading scorer Steve Seftel played four games for the Caps in the early 1990s (no, I don't remember him either). I only recognize one of the two goaltenders (Weiss), which isn't a great sign.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
I wonder what percentage of CHL rosters end up without a single NHL player (even for a cup of coffee)?

I'll throw that out as a game - other than this Knights team (and allowing for a few years of incubation, so for instance, 2012-13 teams wouldn't count), find a CHL team who had no future NHL players on their roster. I'll bet that the total list can be counted on two hands maximum.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
The Baltimore Skipjacks had a season in which they were not affiliated with a professional team and were just brutal. Think we are looking at late 80's - early 90's

Yup (13-58-9-0) in 87-88

GuineaPig

Jul 11, 2011
Montréal
I think to make things a bit more interesting, only NHL teams with more than five years of existence should be considered. Of course expansion teams are going to be terrible, but which team was the worst without a good excuse?

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
From the seventies in the Q, 1977-78 Shawinigan Dynamos were 3-64-4:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0013941978.html

Team was rather poor for a five season stretch in the late seventies but the 1977-78 team was the weakest by far.

That year, Robert Paquet's season evaluates as being 80.5 goals worse than average:

http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/paquetro.html

I'm sure that some (a lot?) of that are team effects, but it's pretty impressive nonetheless (also that he was seeing an average of 51 shots per game). His tandemmate, Louis Grenier, ended up 70 goals worse than average - http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/grenierl.html.

EDIT: just trying to find more on Grenier, and I'm starting to believe that he became *the* Louis Grenier (the Olympic champion Canadian speed skater). I don't have hometown information on Grenier the goalie, but he was born in 1959, and that would line up with this:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...yORfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=FO8FAAAAIBAJ&pg=1320,242210

(As would the article's note that the speed skater Grenier was born in Ste. Foy, Quebec)

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
The 89-90 Quebec Nordiques were horrendous. Hard to believe that Joe Sakic got 102 points that year but the next best was I think Guy Lafleur at like 34. Who did Joe pass to? Oh well a rotten team!

Peter Stasny played 62 games (24-38-62) before being traded and Michel Goulet played 57 games (16-29-45) before his trade.

They used 7 goalies that year, including an 18 year-old call-up from Junior and a 19 year-old Stéphane Fiset.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

I've handled a Plattsburgh Pioneers game jersey.

It's about the most cheaply-made thing I've seen. Seriously, it makes roller hockey jerseys look like body armor.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I'll throw that out as a game - other than this Knights team (and allowing for a few years of incubation, so for instance, 2012-13 teams wouldn't count), find a CHL team who had no future NHL players on their roster. I'll bet that the total list can be counted on two hands maximum.

Challenge accepted.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0016381999.html

The 1998-99 Mississauga IceDogs posted a pitiful 4-56-3-5 record in their inaugural year. And unless I'm blanking on one of those names, nary a future NHLer to be found.

EDIT: D'oh! Chad Wiseman played 9 NHL games.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Over a longer term... the Vancouver Canucks suffered 15 consecutive losing seasons (1976 to 1991).

The all time franchise record is still sub-500, largely due to this epoch of awfulness.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
1992-1993 sharks
2003-2004 penguins (dick tarnstrom led the team in scoring)....yeah
1999-2000 thrashers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->