Worst Team Ever?

Gou

Feb 28, 2002
Montreal, Qc
Visit site
I've found a winner:

In the Q, 1984-85 Plattsburgh Pioneers QMJHL,

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/qmjhl19701985.html

'In 1984, the league added its only ever American based team, the Plattsburgh Pioneers. The Pioneers tried to compete with mostly local talent. Competitive they were not. They played about 3 month without winning a game and folded. The league wiped out any record of their existence. Not only were future games wiped out but so were the past wins against them.'

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Gou said:
I've found a winner:

In the Q, 1984-85 Plattsburgh Pioneers QMJHL,

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/qmjhl19701985.html

'In 1984, the league added its only ever American based team, the Plattsburgh Pioneers. The Pioneers tried to compete with mostly local talent. Competitive they were not. They played about 3 month without winning a game and folded. The league wiped out any record of their existence. Not only were future games wiped out but so were the past wins against them.'
Wow. Did anyone good ever play for them??

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Gou said:
I've found a winner:

In the Q, 1984-85 Plattsburgh Pioneers QMJHL

Wow, wiping ALL statistics?

Somebody should look up Pat Holley. I'd love to hear his take on the team.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I think a factor to consider is if that team had equally bad company for that season. For instance Ottawa and San Jose in 1992-93 both had 24 points. But a team like Los Angeles in 1969-70 with 38 points was 20 points away from the next worse team (Oakland and Philly with 58); the same can be said for the 1973-74 Seals and the 1974-75 Caps. I am sure there are others but I just glanced a few.

Sonik

Dec 5, 2003
Proud Habs Land
Visit site
I made some research about the Plattsburgh Pioneers...

"But in early 1984, the City of Plattsburgh showed that it was interested in the growing popularity of hockey and welcomed a professional hockey team from the Quebec Junior Hockey League into town.

The team, named the Plattsburgh Pioneers, would play home games at the Crete Civic Center near the City Beach. The concept that owner Denis Methot used to attract city leaders was that the team would be made up entirely of American skaters, the only team in the Quebec league so manned.

On Sept. 15, the Pioneers played their first league game with 17 players, most of them from the Midwest. The team had won its first of four pre-season games, but players wanted to win this historic first game in front of nearly 1,500 curious fans.

The game was played at the Plattsburgh State Field House because renovations to the Crete Center were not yet completed. In fact, the Pioneers’ first five home games would be at the Field House.

The Pioneers could only settle for a 7-6 overtime loss to the Hull Olympics in that opening game, but they gave the fans a promise of some exciting games to come.

"If nothing else, the Plattsburgh Pioneers are long on heart, hustle and confidence," a Press-Republican reporter wrote.

But that confidence would soon be shattered as the "experiment" faltered.

From the beginning, Methot was plagued with financial problems. He owed the city quite a bit of money for rental agreements, and he hoped growing crowds would help make ends meet. But the team struggled from the onset, losing 16 straight games by late October, and the crowds got smaller.

On Oct. 11, the first game at the Crete Center attracted only 550 fans. In the five games at the Field House, the average crowd was around 800.

But the city was not ready to give up.

"We have a lot riding on it, and we want this team to succeed," said Plattsburgh Mayor Carlton Rennell. "We are making the effort to help them, and others in the community are also attempting to help."

But the team received another bad omen on the 11th when Public Relations and Marketing Manager Rick Strack resigned. Strack, a former all-American goalie, was a popular figure in the community, and his departure foreshadowed the end.

On Saturday, Oct. 27, a pump failure at the Crete Center forced the cancellation of the Pioneers’ game. The Pioneers played on the road the next day, but the canceled game seemed to take the wind out of any chance for the team to survive.

Back payments for rent were due on Wednesday the 31st, but Methot did not have the means to pay it.

"It’s over," said Alderman Bobby Hall, a long-time opponent of putting money into the Crete Center. "Nobody’s going to save it."

Area businessmen held a meeting that day to see if there was any chance of helping the team survive its financial woes, but there was no solid commitment there.

On Thursday, the Common Council voted to call in the $200,000 owed the city by the Pioneers. Methot met with the players and told them the season was over for the Plattsburgh franchise. The players were broke as well, and many decided to head home, though the league had promised to hold a special draft in a week so players could go to other teams.

Ironically, Plattsburgh State opened its season that night with a 12-2 victory over Dawson College."

Source : http://www.pressrepublican.com/Archive/1999/11_1999/111419992.htm

donpaulo

Capt Barry Beck
May 19, 2003
nihon
www.billcorfield.com
I would have to go with the expansion Sharks during their first year. They played in the Cow Palace, had little NHL level talent, lost a ton of games and drafted Pat Falloon. Tough job for pat, to come into that kind of situation. His centerman was kelly kisio and the other winger was I believe Brian Mullen. That was the top line.
Don't get me wrong I love Kisio's game, but he was available for the expansion draft for a reason. He played a ton of minutes too.
George Kingston was the coach, he was forced to play many AHL level guys on a nightly basis. Did an adequate job of it. But the team stunk.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
The 74-75 Caps had good reason to be awful. First of all, the established clubs screwed them, denying them and the Kansas City Scouts even an NHL calibre goalie (the 67 and 70 drafts at least gave the expansion team goaltending).

Along with that, much of the NHL's depth had been stripped away, not only by expansion but also by the WHA.

ADD to that the fact that the player Washington originally chose first in the amateur draft, Pat Price, signed with the WHA before they could sign him. The Caps made a dreadful error when they chose Greg Joly.

There probably wasn't one top 2 forward on that Cap team, although Mike Bloom looked pretty goof before he started getting hurt.

They were awful, no doubt. The first time I saw them was on HNIC in early 75, against Toronto. Davey Keon got the puck at center, saw that Joly and his defense partner were too far apart, and zipped in on a breakaway.

He didn't miss.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Here's a team we all remember: the 1953-54 Blackhawks. They finished with 31 points, 37 points behind 5th place (in the Original 6 NHL) New York.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
MacDaddy Version 1.3 said:
The Jets in 1979-80 or 1980-81 were horrendous.

I remember the Jets were so bad that one of the US national TV outlets (ABC, CBS, NBC at the time, -- days before cable) actually did a story on them during the newscast (the type that say Peter Jennings does now on ABC).

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The 89-90 Quebec Nordiques were horrendous. Hard to believe that Joe Sakic got 102 points that year but the next best was I think Guy Lafleur at like 34. Who did Joe pass to? Oh well a rotten team!

Vomiting Kermit*

lowetide said:
The 74-75 Caps had good reason to be awful. First of all, the established clubs screwed them, denying them and the Kansas City Scouts even an NHL calibre goalie (the 67 and 70 drafts at least gave the expansion team goaltending).

Along with that, much of the NHL's depth had been stripped away, not only by expansion but also by the WHA.

ADD to that the fact that the player Washington originally chose first in the amateur draft, Pat Price, signed with the WHA before they could sign him. The Caps made a dreadful error when they chose Greg Joly.

There probably wasn't one top 2 forward on that Cap team, although Mike Bloom looked pretty goof before he started getting hurt.

They were awful, no doubt. The first time I saw them was on HNIC in early 75, against Toronto. Davey Keon got the puck at center, saw that Joly and his defense partner were too far apart, and zipped in on a breakaway.

He didn't miss.
Was that the year they went 1-39 on the road?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->