Worst Stanley Cup Finals ever??

MrBionic

Sep 13, 2007
Out of all the finals I have personally watched, the nod goes to Detroit-Carolina.

Two Red and White teams (Carolina had black, but that hardly counts, heh), boring uniforms, Carolina got crushed, I hate the Red Wings, there were hardly any note-worthy plays, and I found myself flipping over to watch 5-pin bowling a number of times. (ok, maybe not, but I would have if it was on).

Easily the worst finals I'd ever seen.

Another bad Finals was Montreal-Los Angeles in '93. Not that the play was bad, but that I wanted a Toronto-Montreal final *SO* bad.

Boom Boom Bear

May 23, 2007
Coast Salish lands
Islanders-Canucks.

I was a kid at the time and found it quite exciting. I guess I wasn't so much into the technical side of the game at that point as I was into the passion and drama surrounding the Canucks' heroic underdog run to the final. Every goal, every fight, every hit, every great save, I was jumping out of my seat. This series really hooked me on hockey like nothing before, so I guess the home team can really get in your blood when you're young.

I liked the 96 Colorado-Florida series, and that is most likely because a similar drama played out, and I obviously dug the drama. I knew Florida would lose, but it was fun cheering on guys like Vanbiesbrouck, who is THE underdog of his generation. They were outmatched but they worked as hard as they could, you could tell, and I really appreciated that.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
1968-69

Montreal sweeps the Blues outscoring them 12-3.

The real final was in the semi's with Montreal beating the Bruins in six games, with 3wins coming in OT.

I remember Provost to Beliveau in the high slot beating Cheevers glove side for the series winner in OT on the road. A lot of great Canadiens Bruins Series back then.

carnge

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
I always thought the 1998 Finals were very boring... but seeing Yzerman give the cup to Vladdie was pretty awesome.

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
Last years final with the Ducks winning it was pretty abysmal. Other bad finals I say would be:

1995: Devils/Red Wings - zzzzzzzz
1996: Avs/Panthers - was hoping the Panthers would win it as I was here in South Florida when they went to the finals and it was pandemonium here in the city, but when they lost in 4 games, it sucked the life and interest of hockey in this town and it hasn't been seen since
1993: Canadiens/Kings - not a bad final per say but Leafs/Canadiens as said earlier would have been a much more competitive series
2000: Stars/Devils - total snoozefest
2003: Ducks/Devils - most boring 7 game series ever. It was so bad that they actually gave the Conn Smythe to a member of the losing team

The One Who Knocks

Jul 10, 2007
California
Old thread much?

I was surprised to see so many people bashing the 2002 Finals against Carolina and Detroit. Carolina stunned Detroit and took Game 1 in OT, then Game 3 was that nerve-racking triple OT game that pretty much guaranteed the Cup for Detroit. Who knows, had Carolina won Game 3 they could have won the series. It wasn't the most exciting series, but I don't know why it was considered one of the worst.

gcdc14

Oct 4, 2007
Old thread much?

I was surprised to see so many people bashing the 2002 Finals against Carolina and Detroit. Carolina stunned Detroit and took Game 1 in OT, then Game 3 was that nerve-racking triple OT game that pretty much guaranteed the Cup for Detroit. Who knows, had Carolina won Game 3 they could have won the series. It wasn't the most exciting series, but I don't know why it was considered one of the worst.
Obvious Jealousy from the people who said this was one of the worst.

InGaineyWeTrust*

i think all recent cup finals have been boring, or atleast uninteresting.
east vs west is boring, theres no emotion...
all of it was left behind in the 1st 3 rounds against conference rivals
I HATE CUP FINALS, 1st round is MUCH more entertaining

Sbufkle

Nov 16, 2007
Pointe Claire PQ
Although I consider myself more knowledgable on hockey between 1976-90... Washington/Detroit of recent was HORRIBLE....

Islanders over Canucks wasnt too far behind.. King Richard coudlnt do it all alone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad