Worst Stanley Cup Finals ever??

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
Pittsburgh-Chicago was a very boring one, in 1992...
But I totally agree, Detroit-Washingon was utterly boring..

The 1992 finals were great to see the cup being won at the chicago stadium one more time,just like in 1990 seeing a stanley cup finals one more time at the boston garden.
As far as the detroit-washington finals i did expect washington to play detroit better in the finals.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
2007 could be worst cup finals of the 2000's so far. Ducks/Devls in 2003 might of been boring though it did go to 7 and it had that stanley cup finals feeling. I personally didn't find Canes/Wings that bad since the first 3 games were competive.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I see a lot of threads like best finals ever or best game ever, so I thought I'd start this lol. I'd say 2003 Ducks/Devils is up there. Even Devils fans have to agree this was a snooze fest.

Yeah, that was a forgettable one. Altho 2005 was even more forgettable. Man, its like it never happened:sarcasm:

pensadmirer87

May 27, 2007
Thread may have also been called worst stanley cup playoffs as a whole ever. Not enough series were that tight and they seemed real predictable. Scoring was real low, the officiating was inconsistent at best and the flow to the games in these 07 playoffs just didnt do it for me...And the layoff between series was absolutely ridiculous, hurt ottawa immensely.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Thread may have also been called worst stanley cup playoffs as a whole ever. Not enough series were that tight and they seemed real predictable. Scoring was real low, the officiating was inconsistent at best and the flow to the games in these 07 playoffs just didnt do it for me...And the layoff between series was absolutely ridiculous, hurt ottawa immensely.

1 game 7 the entire playoffs. The only series I enjoyed was Rangers/Sabres.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Pittsburgh vs Chicago was real bad.
So was Detroit-Washington, followed by Colorado vs Florida, which was a cure for insomnia.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
You're so right about Colorado-Florida. People complain about New Jersey being boring but Florida was the worst. They had no real talent. Just trapped their way to the final. That 1-0 triple overtime game was brutal.

Devils Mike*

The Colorado- Florida, much worse then 1995 since Devils pulled a upset of winning and even sweeping which was probally one of the biggest upsets in Hockey history.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
My pick is the Isles sweep over a sub-.500 Canucks in '82 for their third straight Cup.
But that was so SIGNIFICANT.

I watched every moment as a towel-waving crazed Canucks fan... and was immediately BLOWN AWAY by how much better the Isles were.

That was a good Stanley Cup Finals! Goliath squashed David.

Sure, every game wasn't competitive but the series was significant.

A SWEEP isn't necessarily a bad thing, though the Devils sweep of Detroit in 95 was hugely disappointing and boring!!! major upset? they played like MUD, (heralding in an awful style of play) after the Rangers and Habs exciting wins the previous two postseasons.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Definitely, a total of two series that I watched from an outsider perspective and really enjoyed (Vancouver-Dallas and Buffalo-Rangers). Only one that went seven games. Even in most years that my team is eliminated seemingly half the series at least entertain me, this year though, forget about it.

Golden Foppa

Nov 13, 2002
Boulder, CO
Visit site
Yes, 1996 was the worst. The game 4 was good, but by then the AVs had a 3-0 lead in the series, so you knew the game was meaningless if the panthers won.

How could this be the worst when the Stanley Cup was won on a goal in triple overtime??? Both of the games in Florida were very competitive and game 2 (the 8-2 win) while not appealing to someone that wants a tight game was an absolutely amazing offensive display. Just going on the series that came after this one, Red Wings-Caps ,Stars-Sabres, and Red Wings-Hurricanes were much worse to watch. Watching teams running the leftwing lock and trappping teams to death was horrible to watch. Watching a team get a sweep running the trap was much worse than watching a team get a sweep playing an offensive game.

nerdman60

Jun 28, 2007
Vancouver, BC
The worst was 1993, but only because I was and still am a huge Kings fan. Ever since then I hate Marty McSorley and Patrick Roy's cockiness.

man you're nuts! 93 was awesome! Desjardin 3 goals in game 2, john leclair consecutive over time goals!! the last canadian team to hoist the cup , it was magical!

the worst had to be 2007. the Sens didn't bring it and coupled with some bad luck, made this one stinky

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Most people tend to say the 2003 finals. But at least that one went to 7 games. What about the two that Detroit won in 4?

Not saying that it's not 2003, because I remember one of those games literally putting me to sleep. But I thought I'd mention, I watched it on NHL network's, "on the glass" program and all of a sudden it appeared to be a fast-paced, physical, and just plain exciting series. If that program and its camera angles can do that for that series, I'd like to see what it can do for some good ones, like 1994, 2001, and 2004.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
You're forgetting The 1997 Finals between the Flyers and Red Wings which dominated by the Red Wings from the First 2 periods of the series until McCarty's goal.The Flyers were never really in the series and it didn't help that Hextall/Snow combo played like :shakehead.

hgo

Mar 21, 2004
Manhattan
The worst was 1993, but only because I was and still am a huge Kings fan. Ever since then I hate Marty McSorley and Patrick Roy's cockiness.
When you consider how exciting the 1993 postseason was, I don't think there's any way you can rate the 93 Cup Finals as the worst.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Of all the Cup finals I've seen, Devils/Ducks was by far the worst.

You must have seen very few Finals then. 2 OT games, Game-7, Niedermayer brothers vs each other, Marty vs Giggy. Not the worst Final by a long shot. Did you see Colorado vs Florida? No way that one was better than Devs-Ducks.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Of the ones I've seen I remember 95-96 and 97-98 being particularly bad. Florida & Washington were so overmatched they couldn't even come close to getting a pity win. 97-98 gets the nod just because Florida was at least able to make Game 4 entertaining.

MotownMadman

Oct 6, 2003
Devils/Ducks in 2003. The only Finals I've switched the channel on. I had a hard time finding the motivation to watch the 3rd period in game 7 to see who won. Just a bunch of guys groping and hanging all over each other and I something like 1% of passes that actually connected. The best piece of evidence that the NHL had to make changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad