Worst Season Starting Goalie in NHL history

Worst Season Starting Goalie in NHL history

• Total voters

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Why stop there?

And he almost gave another one away last night by misplaying it behind the net and was saved by the Ranger player missing the net. Check the full game recap at about the 2:40 mark.

Last edited:
Reactions: sheriff bart

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Some quick google work found a gem in Ken McAuley. He was the starter for the Rangers in 1943-44 and 1944-45. A legit starter, too, as that's what we need to qualify. He started all but 4 games over 2 seasons with NYR.

'43-'44 saw him put up a GAA of 6.24 and only 6 wins in 50 games. 50 games! 6-39-5.

Career numbers: 17-64-15 and a 5.61 GAA.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Regular Season Cloutier? No, he was not Carolina Darling bad while in Vancouver, not sure about before then. Playoff Cloutier? I'll give you that one.

Ya, I did some digging and you're right. He never had one season as bad as Darling right now. His raw numbers never looked that bad at all, to my surprise. I stand corrected on Cloutier.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Sebastien Caron in 2004
40 games (2 other goalies played 20ish each)
.883 Sv%
3.74 GAA

This was in the final season prior to the lockout which was the lowest scoring season in the modern era of the NHL. These numbers would have been bad in the wide open late 80s and early 90's. He allowed .69 more goals per game and had a save percentage of more than 1% worse than any other starter in the NHL that season.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Some quick google work found a gem in Ken McAuley. He was the starter for the Rangers in 1943-44 and 1944-45. A legit starter, too, as that's what we need to qualify. He started all but 4 games over 2 seasons with NYR.

'43-'44 saw him put up a GAA of 6.24 and only 6 wins in 50 games. 50 games! 6-39-5.

Career numbers: 17-64-15 and a 5.61 GAA.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
In terms of pure crap goals, Toskala and Bernier when he was on the leafs were amazingly bad.

is this just a case of the Chicago team making Darling look better than he was?

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
In terms of pure crap goals, Toskala and Bernier when he was on the leafs were amazingly bad.

Partly, but he's also seemingly lost all fundamentals of goaltending. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this. No hyperbole, every single shot he faces feels like it might go in. I'm surprised every time he makes any save a puck hits him and doesn't go in the net.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
He's not having the worst season ever. But he has looked terrible. I'll take the field.

His numbers were good in Chicago, but if you watched those games you wouldn't walk away thinking Darling is an amazing goalie.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Mentally, I don't think he was strong enough to be a starting goalie in the NHL. He got in his own head from the start this year, and just kept putting more and more and more pressure on himself to do well. The second he would let in a bad goal, his body language changed and he started pressing. For most goalies, they would brush it off, but Darling would just let it fester.

Its so bad now he's just a complete headcase. Mechanics and fundamentals are completely shot to hell and nonexistent. Last night he was playing angles vs the body rather than the puck. He has no business suiting up in the NHL ever again after the conclusion of this season. Certainly not in a starter's role. He's not capable of it.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Mentally, I don't think he was strong enough to be a starting goalie in the NHL. He got in his own head from the start this year, and just kept putting more and more and more pressure on himself to do well. The second he would let in a bad goal, his body language changed and he started pressing. For most goalies, they would brush it off, but Darling would just let it fester.

Its so bad now he's just a complete headcase. Mechanics and fundamentals are completely shot to hell and nonexistent. Last night he was playing angles vs the body rather than the puck. He has no business suiting up in the NHL ever again after the conclusion of this season. Certainly not in a starter's role. He's not capable of it.

Dam thats to bad. I was always a fan of his when he was in Chicago and i thought he was going to be an average starter at worst in Carolina. I would give him some time next year to hopefully turn it around

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad