Worst run Franchise in Professional Sports

Worst run Pro sports team

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Historically (at least since the new Browns showed up) I'd say the Browns. Currently it looks like Browns are finally getting it right so I'd say Jackets are edging ahead.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

rabinsurance

Jul 5, 2007
Any franchise that lets it's prospects be coached by someone hired by an assistant GM who used to be his agent gets my vote.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Ironically, we basically tried the 97 and 03 Marlins strategy and (so far...) it’s failed. There’s at least succeeded twice.

We've never really broken the franchise all the way down like the Marlins. I guess the bottom line is a few MLB teams would intentionally suck to load up on draft picks and have so little talent at major league level that the team couldn't win (like the Astros as well).
It's been different recently but the CBJ would always do their best to be bad enough to miss the playoffs but not that bad to get the elite draft picks. The old commitment to mediocrity.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Sens were just in the ECF.
The Oilers had some of the greatest teams of all time and were one game away from winning the Cup just over 10 years ago.

• The CBJ are the ONLY team in any major NA sport to not advance to the second round of the playoffs.
  • They have also never even won 3 games in a playoff series. In fact they have only won 5 game total and only 1 of those in regulation and it was by 1 goal.
  • Have only made the playoffs 4 times out of 17 in a league where more than half of the teams make the playoffs and of those 4, 3 were as a wildcard.
  • Their average finishing position over all years is 11th in their conference out of 15.
  • Their in division performance:
    • Central: Average finish 4.83 out of 5 over 12 years
    • Metro: Average finish 4.8 out of 8 over 5 years
  • CBJ have the lowest winning % of any NHL ever
Case closed.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Please you guys have so many cups its ridiculous and were 1 game away from winning another about 10 years ago. You guys are amateurs at losing.

It seems we're going back and forth between talking about "who has the most pathetic history?" and "worst run franchise?" Two different things. Franchises aren't run by the same people or in the same way forever.

If you want to talk about how well the Jackets are currently run, then the win loss records that would seem to be relevant are the ones that are from recent seasons.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
The browns have the most championships in the history of pro football so not them...

I mean the cubs had 1 good team in 100+ years. The Detroit lions have literally made the greatest RB and arguably the best if not top 5 WR in history retire because they loved the city and only wanted to play there but knew they would never win so they quit in their prime. Also had the first team without a win in league history. I mean Cavs and kings are good options in basketball... hornets I guess as well. Jackets pre Jarmo easy answer for hockey. Post JK its been top 10 in the league so I cant argue that case we lost to the champs back to back years in the 1st or that never won a series issue would be done by now.

My vote is the Cubs.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Sacramento Kings, Phoenix Coyotes, San Diego Padres, Cincinnati Reds, Buffalo Bills are all worse so I did not cast a vote. We are in the neighborhood, Which is not a good thing.

We were on track to be one of the best - Nashville Predators territory - before selling the future down the river. Brick by brick is gone.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Obviously OP wanted answer to be CBJ while also expressing frustration with the Browns.

I don't think the Jackets have been very well run for most of their history but in fairness there are a couple of things that were out of their control:

First and foremost, imo, has been the lack of top draft picks. Only#1 overall was Nash & that was via a trade.

Somehow almost always winding up in the toughest division.

The size and relative (un)attractriveness of the market (zoo excluded).

However, ever since Dougie screwed up the team by doing slightly better than expected thereby missing out on top picks while completely whiffing the 2003 draft, the team has been cursed. Ain't no other way to explain it.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Currently, no. Not even close.
Historically, no. Not great, but not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad