The Athletic - Boston Worst Playoff Hockey Commercials

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Canada vs. USA: Being forced to watch each country's worst NHL playoff ads

Thought this was worth sharing as a welcome break from the incessant roster moves and fire/don't fire Sweeney/Cassidy conversations that inevitably happen after the B's lose a playoff series.

Hard for me to decide which country has the shittier commercials. Its a tough one. That Pepsi/Lays abomination with Jim Hughson and his do-it-yourself haircut is tough to beat....I gotta believe that the suicide rate in Canada is spiking if they have to watch that during every commercial break.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Canada vs. USA: Being forced to watch each country's worst NHL playoff ads

Thought this was worth sharing as a welcome break from the incessant roster moves and fire/don't fire Sweeney/Cassidy conversations that inevitably happen after the B's lose a playoff series.

Hard for me to decide which country has the shittier commercials. Its a tough one. That Pepsi/Lays abomination with Jim Hughson and his do-it-yourself haircut is tough to beat....I gotta believe that the suicide rate in Canada is spiking if they have to watch that during every commercial break.

The Pepsi commercial in French is even worse

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
They are all bad, and now with all the commentators who would say anything controversial relieved of their duties, I skip the milquetoast between-periods fluff as well as the ads.

But I'm going to throw Pastrnak/Dunkin' under the bus. Has there ever been a more ill-conceived ad campaign? Pastrnak is the leading goal scorer in the NHL, and not one to take excessive penalties or yap.

Yet the campaign is built around him knitting in the penalty box and chirping? This would maybe work if it was Marchand; but with Pastrnak it's nonsensical to fans and completely confusing to non-fans.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Some of these make me miss the NHL Network classics like.... Beezid!!!!!!

Okay not really. They're all bad.

Reactions: Alicat

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Pretty much anything Tim Hortons puts out trying to Smeagol their way in to the hearts of Canadians during hockey season to get us to buy their shitty prefrozen meals.

It’s icky. Like their food.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
on the flip side this is the best hockey commercial I have seen. Especially when they show Ray Bourque moment...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->