Worst players with 1000+ points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogopogo*

12# Peter Bondra said:
All of the players listed are good. If you get 1000 NHL points, you cant be bad. Each was good in one way or the other.

You can't be bad but, you can be just a mediocre player.

Consider a player that hits 1000 points after 20 years in the league. That is an average of 50 points per season. Even in today's defensive era that isn't very impressive.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Ogopogo said:
You can't be bad but, you can be just a mediocre player.

Consider a player that hits 1000 points after 20 years in the league. That is an average of 50 points per season. Even in today's defensive era that isn't very impressive.

maybe its your definition of "mediocre player" that confuses me.....but mediocre players dont stick around for 20 years

some of these guys....Hunter for example....cant be defined by all the calculations that you are known for. I know you really want to come up with some algorithm that will tell the rest of us exactly how good Dale Hunter was, or in your case....wasnt......but as ive said to you before, what stat do you use to measure leadership, grit, scoring the big goal, making a game/series changing hit, the list goes on........

again, you cant be mediocre and play 20 seasons.....you might only be contributing on the stat sheet as a mediocre player near the end of your 20 year career.....but chances are you are bringing a lot more to the table than your list of stats can indicate

Impossibles

May 14, 2003
Langley, BC
Visit site
I don't understand why people are arguing this thread is stupid.

If you have any list, you have to have a best and a worst. If you list the 10 greatest movies of all time, one has to be #10, and thus the 'worst'.

Back to the topic:

My votes go to Dave Taylor and Bernie Federko...I'm voting more on 'least talent' than 'worst' player. Taylor played for 38 seasons, so its no wonder he got 1000 points, and Federko is the quintessential 'stick around long enough as an average player, and you'll get 1000'. I can't believe he's in the hall before Glenn Anderson.

EDIT: I scratch Dave Taylor from this list. Dave only played a little over 1100 games, so averaging about a point a game is very good.

Impossibles

May 14, 2003
Langley, BC
Visit site
Oh, and on the Dino Ciccerelli topic, he's kind of like Rafael Palmeiro. He was never an outstanding player, never close to a league MVP, but there is a lot to say about longevity and consistency. Both those players should be in the HOF (steroid discussion aside) imho.

Ogopogo*

Mothra said:
maybe its your definition of "mediocre player" that confuses me.....but mediocre players dont stick around for 20 years

some of these guys....Hunter for example....cant be defined by all the calculations that you are known for. I know you really want to come up with some algorithm that will tell the rest of us exactly how good Dale Hunter was, or in your case....wasnt......but as ive said to you before, what stat do you use to measure leadership, grit, scoring the big goal, making a game/series changing hit, the list goes on........

again, you cant be mediocre and play 20 seasons.....you might only be contributing on the stat sheet as a mediocre player near the end of your 20 year career.....but chances are you are bringing a lot more to the table than your list of stats can indicate

Well, the 1000 point club is a scoring club. A guy that takes 20 years to reach 1000 points is a mediocre scorer.

Hunter might be much farther up the "grittiest player" list or the "PIM leader" list or even the "best defensive forward" list but, on the scoring lists, he is just mediocre.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Impossibles said:
I don't understand why people are arguing this thread is stupid.

If you have any list, you have to have a best and a worst. If you list the 10 greatest movies of all time, one has to be #10, and thus the 'worst'.

I agree with your statement....but some of these players have been called things like "clowns".....which is ridiculous

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Ogopogo said:
Well, the 1000 point club is a scoring club. A guy that takes 20 years to reach 1000 points is a mediocre scorer.

Hunter might be much farther up the "grittiest player" list or the "PIM leader" list or even the "best defensive forward" list but, on the scoring lists, he is just mediocre.

But you didnt say he was a "mediocre scorer" you said...."mediocre player"

as for PIMs....he is 2nd all time I believe

Ogopogo*

Mothra said:
But you didnt say he was a "mediocre scorer" you said...."mediocre player"

as for PIMs....he is 2nd all time I believe

To be honest, I could probably find at least 30 players I'd rather have in each season Hunter played and most years probably at least 50.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Anybody who admassed the bulk of there points between 80-93 should be taken with a bit of salt. Scoring was at a all time high.

That being said i remember in the late 80's it usually seemed like a players career was close to the end when he got in his early 30's(see Bryan Trottier), so i can be argued for whatever reason players in the 90s had that advantage(probably due to expansion and better work out methods).

If i had to go down the list and say who benefited most from both of these(hence is overrated to where he is on the list) Ron Francis at #4 comes to mind. Picking somebody on the list though that is the worst, i might go with Glenn Anderson, he seemed to be always in a good situation when he was getting all those points, and Mark Messier became a better player when he left edmonton so what does that say?

Flash Walken said:
1) I had no idea Yzerman was that high in point totals. As I'm only 20, I missed out on just about all of his prolific scoring years, so I've only been able to be impressed by stories of his scoring ability. Seeing these numbers though, and hearing the old story about scotty sitting him down and telling him essentially that he was no longer 'the scorer' on the team, but now had more of a checker role, his points statistic really impresses me. He must be one of the most complete players recent hockey history, no?

In the late 80's Yzerman was considered the third best player in the NHL(Greztky and Lemieux #1 & 2).

Last edited:

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Ogopogo said:
To be honest, I could probably find at least 30 players I'd rather have in each season Hunter played and most years probably at least 50.

whats your point....if your not in the top 30 you are "mediocre"? There are 500 or so skaters on NHL rosters. I never said he was a great player.....just far from "mediocre"

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Impossibles said:
My votes go to Dave Taylor and Bernie Federko...I'm voting more on 'least talent' than 'worst' player. Taylor played for 38 seasons, so its no wonder he got 1000 points, and Federko is the quintessential 'stick around long enough as an average player, and you'll get 1000'. I can't believe he's in the hall before Glenn Anderson.

Federko takes way more crap than he deserves. 1130 points in 1000 games. Top-10 in scoring 5 times. What kind of 'average player' is that? And he didn't stick around for a long time ... he played his last game at age 33, and scored nearly 60 points that year.

Bernie Federko and Darryl Sittler had overlapping, almost identical careers. Both were top-10 in scoring 5 times. Federko had 4 100-point seasons, Sittler 2. Federko has 1130 points, Sittler 1121. Neither guy won any major awards. Federko has a better playoff resume. No-one would ever question Sittler as a HHOF guy, but Federko has long been considered a joke. It all depends on where you play, I guess.

KH1

It's tough for me to comment on a lot of the older players who were before my time, as the stats are the only way I have to judge how good they were.

Of players that I know about, I would say that Dale Hunter and Dino Cicarelli aren't exactly NHL icons.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
MS said:
Federko takes way more crap than he deserves. 1130 points in 1000 games. Top-10 in scoring 5 times. What kind of 'average player' is that? And he didn't stick around for a long time ... he played his last game at age 33, and scored nearly 60 points that year.

Bernie Federko and Darryl Sittler had overlapping, almost identical careers. Both were top-10 in scoring 5 times. Federko had 4 100-point seasons, Sittler 2. Federko has 1130 points, Sittler 1121. Neither guy won any major awards. Federko has a better playoff resume. No-one would ever question Sittler as a HHOF guy, but Federko has long been considered a joke. It all depends on where you play, I guess.

federko also was a mentor to douggie gilmour as well
sittler is a great hof

is federko not in the halll?

if not he sould be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->