Worst players on a breakaway?

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
I recall Plekanec being meh last year on breakaways especially shorthanded. He's a fast little bugger and generates them often. Typically goes shelf wrister IIRC but they don't ever seem to go in for him. He's definitely not very good at shootouts either.

It's weird cause he's a lock for 20 every year and has an above average shot with good accuracy.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I remember that Robert Reichel penalty shot against Cechmanek when he wound up and blasted it into his chest, like he could but it through him, haha...

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I remember that Robert Reichel penalty shot against Cechmanek when he wound up and blasted it into his chest, like he could but it through him, haha...

Was Reichel normally bad at breakaways? The only "breakaway" I remember him from was the penalty shot in 1998...did he just get lucky?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Was Reichel normally bad at breakaways? The only "breakaway" I remember him from was the penalty shot in 1998...did he just get lucky?

He certainly made a big impression. I actually don't remember him on the breakaway much, he wasn't exactly a roadrunner by the time he got to the Leafs...

BestRussian71*

Chris conner. I was so excited when the pens didn't resign him during the off season even though he was Bylsma's dream player; no real skill, tries to be physical but works his butt off every shift.

He had a break away where he fell over and didn't even shoot the puck.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Also if you want to call it a "breakaway" he was the player robbed by McLean in Game 7 of the 1994 overtime Canucks/Flames classic. Although that was more of a two-on-one. That being said, I don't have a mental picture of how he was on breaks either

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Two funny ones off the top of my head.

During his Columbus tenure, Mike Sillinger once got a breakaway despite not having a stick. He lost it in the neutral zone, then got stranded on a dump-in. The defenseman didn't realize that Sillinger was without a stick and hit him with a perfect pass in the skates. Of course, since the rule says that you can't kick the puck directly off the goalie and into the net, he skated in and then kicked the puck into the corner.

In his first career win, which was a shootout (8-7 or 7-6 in OT), Darren Madeley of Ottawa stoned Teemu Selanne in the last 0:10 of regulation. He came in in relief of...I think it was Craig Billington to start the third period. Madeley didn't allow a goal, and Ottawa won it in overtime.

The funny thing was that Madeley gave an interview a couple years later and was asked about it. He said something like "I'd spent the last year in the AHL and didn't have a book on Selanne, and the new season had just started so I still didn't. Also, I didn't know it was him on the breakaway, because if I did, I'd probably have been crying in the fetal position in the corner instead of trying to stop him."

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

He could have been onto something. When he was with Minnesota, Alexandre Daigle got a breakaway and took a slap shot from the top of the circle, and somehow it went in. And I mean that it was actually the top of a circle, so there wasn't any type of angle for him either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad